PDA

View Full Version : der dau boots- your opinions and thoughts

TXnGA
Apr. 12, 2011, 07:56 PM
Does anyone have a pair of custom der dau boots?

What are your thoughts? What all parts did you get custom and what parts did you not get custom? Why?

I'm looking at getting my first pair of fully custom boots and there are some features that I'm not 100% sure about. One of them is an "long elastic" which i think runs the length of the zipper. But I had elastic gussets put into my last pair of customs and they totally stretched out and are in stretched out mode- which i hate. So i'm thinking I don't need the "long elastic" down the zipper. Does anyone have this feature? Do you like or dislike this?

Also, arch supports? Never had them, but now they recommend them and thinking since I've never had them, I've never missed them and don't need them?

Ugghhh, so many options....

TIA

StrawberryFields
Apr. 12, 2011, 08:45 PM
i'm also interested to see what people have to say. I love the look of these boots and realyl want to get my first pair of custom boots this summer.....any input much appreciated!!

dogbluehorse
Apr. 12, 2011, 09:23 PM
I have a 10yr old pair that I love, that fit beautifully, and are holding up well. I only use them for special occasions (shows, important lessons), don't ride in them every day, always clean/condition/polish, etc, and they look great.

GrayCatFarm
Apr. 12, 2011, 10:32 PM
Ordered mine at WEG, measured by owners wife, they arrived right as promised and fit like a glove. Now I need to get to a show with them. Quite the different experience than I had with ordering Vogel's through a Midwest tackshop. THAT was a disaster.

Lucassb
Apr. 12, 2011, 10:40 PM
I splurged on a pair of Der Dau customs last year at WEF. I absolutely adore them.

I did get the elastic, because I feel like it saves stress on the zipper, and I really wanted them to fit like second skin, (which they do.)

In terms of custom options, I got a bit of exotic skin on the tops and toe caps. From more than a couple feet away you don't notice them, so they are still fine for hunters and eq... but they make them a little unique and I've had many compliments on them.

They also broke in super fast and were comfortable from my first ride in them, which is certainly not what I was expecting. My previous customs (Vogels, from back in the day) just about KILLED me for the first several months I wore them. They were also beautiful boots and lasted a long time, but I prefer the Der Daus by far.

Happy shopping~!

LovesHorses
Apr. 12, 2011, 11:49 PM
I have DDs with swarovski crystals and patent leather on the tops and toes. They look fabulous. The foot bed fits like a glove. The calf is too big for my liking, but overall they are very comfortable. I got them before they had the extra elastic along the zipper. My Ariat Monacos looks slimmer down the leg and through the ankle.

AndNirina
Apr. 13, 2011, 12:44 AM
I've had mine for a few years and before them I had a few pairs of Vogels. I love mine, beautiful leather, very comfortable. I don't have zippers in mine but they fit like a glove. I wouldn't hesitate to get another pair and the elastic panel sounds like it would be very comfortable.

bumknees
Apr. 13, 2011, 06:34 AM
I have had a pair for geesh 15ish year maybe 16 now.Would have to check my records of when I got them ordered them etc. No zipper, no exoctic leathers etc. But I did insist on double leather soles I just have a difficult time riding in other than leather soles for some reason hurts my feet my paddocks are a pita when i ride in them.
Love them when times comes for new boots I will order them again just like these down to double leather soles.

ACMEeventing
Apr. 13, 2011, 08:31 AM
Lucassb - that exotic trim is beautiful! Very subtle and tastefully done. I didn't even know that was an option.

I've been perusing the customs for about a month and trying to settle on which ones to get. Hope to find the DD booth at Rolex this year and take the plunge.

FineAlready
Apr. 13, 2011, 09:37 AM
I have the Der Dau Contour II (with elastic panel) from SmartPak. I got a customized height (taller). They are beautiful boots, and well constructed. I've only ridden in them once so far, and by the end of the ride I had forgotten that I was riding in new boots.

I had the same thoughts about the elastic panel and whether or not it will stretch out over time, but I would think that is something that could be easily replaced if necessary. And I agree that it likely reduces pressure on the zipper.

JustThatSimple
Apr. 13, 2011, 09:37 AM
The quality of the newer made der daus has been very inconsistent.

Often in the non custom orders sent for stock to the tack shop I previously worked for- and for the custom orders- leathers would seem different in a pair of boots, you would get mis matched height, foot size, etc.

On the same note, close friends who have had to have their boots altered- due to personal change or just not made right to fit the first time have sent the boots back multiple times with little to no change.

My older pair was worth every penny and held up beautifully. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy another pair.

Vogels, Konigs, or the new Cavallo hunter/jumper style boots are probably a safer bet.

TXnGA
Apr. 13, 2011, 05:39 PM
I splurged on a pair of Der Dau customs last year at WEF. I absolutely adore them.

I did get the elastic, because I feel like it saves stress on the zipper, and I really wanted them to fit like second skin, (which they do.)

In terms of custom options, I got a bit of exotic skin on the tops and toe caps. From more than a couple feet away you don't notice them, so they are still fine for hunters and eq... but they make them a little unique and I've had many compliments on them.

They also broke in super fast and were comfortable from my first ride in them, which is certainly not what I was expecting. My previous customs (Vogels, from back in the day) just about KILLED me for the first several months I wore them. They were also beautiful boots and lasted a long time, but I prefer the Der Daus by far.

Happy shopping~!

do you mind me asking how much you spent/ were quoted for your der dau's with the topper? i just got a quote and almost fell off my chair, and didn't think I was asking too much: dress, zippers... maybe it just has been awhile since I've bought a new pair of boots...

giddybiddy
Apr. 13, 2011, 07:00 PM
I've had my fully custom Der Daus for a few years now, and they're literally my favorite piece of riding equipment that I've ever owned. I'm extremely hard to fit (tiny feet, tiny calves) and there's literally not one stock boot that would fit me. I went the custom route and will never look back!

They fit me like a glove, the leather is to DIE for, and they broke in the first ride. The full-length gusset wasn't an option when I ordered my boots, (or it was and I wasn't aware of it), but I seem to do just fine, and they're very tight on me. I recommend them to everyone! Best money I've spent!

Molly99
Apr. 13, 2011, 07:22 PM
I have a pair of the custom DD with the elastic all the way down the zipper. I ordered them with way basically because I no longer fit in my old vogels (made when I was 16). 20 years later the vogels still looked great, but didn't fit anymore.

When I decided to get the DD one of my concerns was that I don't ride/show enough to expect I would be getting another pair in a few years, so I wanted to make sure these would last and be easy to break in.

I have been very happy with them. The elastic doesn't seem to be stretched when they are one and "warm" up. It just seems to make them easier to zip up. I do keep trees in them and fear that might stretch the elastic, so I do plan getting a different type of tree.

Lucassb
Apr. 14, 2011, 11:40 AM

Happy shopping~!

do you mind me asking how much you spent/ were quoted for your der dau's with the topper? i just got a quote and almost fell off my chair, and didn't think I was asking too much: dress, zippers... maybe it just has been awhile since I've bought a new pair of boots...

Ah, well... as I said, they were a splurge. Just under $2K.

BAC
Apr. 14, 2011, 12:08 PM
Ah, well... as I said, they were a splurge. Just under $2K.

They are gorgeous, you deserve to splurge. And exotic leathes are pricey, even for the small amount used as trim. IIRC we are the same height and wear the same shoe size, I think I should borrow them some day. :D

imac34
Apr. 14, 2011, 12:35 PM
me and a few girls at my barn have them, i love how they fit, but they broke within 3 months. I've had them for about a 2 years now and have had to have them fixed at least every 3-4 months. same with the girls at my barn.

I reccomend Parlanti or Fabri's. i have a pair of parlantis now and absolutely love them, have had them for 6 months and haven't had to have 1 thing fixed/repaired/patched.

Lucassb
Apr. 14, 2011, 01:04 PM
They are gorgeous, you deserve to splurge. And exotic leathes are pricey, even for the small amount used as trim. IIRC we are the same height and wear the same shoe size, I think I should borrow them some day. :D

Of course! You can wear them whenever you like!!! What else are friends for?! :D