PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else feel this frustrated sometimes?

NiQi
Apr. 12, 2011, 04:20 PM
After taking a year off im back to riding again. Finally. But im feeling so defeated. I was used to riding 3 or 4 a day, and now im down to maaybe twice a week. I moved and had to find a new trainer also. I know its hard being the new girl in the barn. I just want to be back in shape and showing again. I work 9 hours a day and my barn closes at 5pm. So I can only ride on my days off. And I also have a hard time paying to hack a horse for 30 minutes.(I understand its someones business but geez)
I just feel like its so hard these days to find a trainer that is actually intrested in putting in the time to help further someones horse career, and not just a paycheck.(mainly because i am not made of money) I almost hate having such big dreams I have no clue how to acheive them anymore. Does anyone else get this frustrated? How do you deal? Is there such a thing as talent searches for people over 18? other than the USEF.
Well I guess my little vent is done.... *sigh* I am open to suggestions here

Rel6
Apr. 12, 2011, 04:43 PM
I understand the feeling! But the bottom line is it is a business. I recently stumbled across someone who really wanted to help me it was so refreshing so it does happen. So people who want to help you are out there, but the bottom line is you need to help yourself. Maybe offer to work for lessons on the weekend? Groom for free at a show in exchange for saddle time?

On another note, and this may seem very harsh, I would not go around saying things like "I know that I have talent and Im very good at what I do when im in shape and have horses to ride."

I *guarantee* you do not have as much talent as you think you do. I'm sorry, it sounds horribly harsh, and I don't know you, but talent is subjective and very easily over-estimated by the individual. And while I know its not your intention, it comes off as arrogance that might turn off trainers who would extend them self to you.

Humility is a very endearing trait. Trainers deal with tons of rich clientele who think they are gods gift to horses. A rider who works hard and is appreciate of everything thrown her way will stand apart.

Good luck! :D

NiQi
Apr. 12, 2011, 04:57 PM
Yah I hear yah. I definetly dont go around saying that ever. Im actually a very humble person. I think you kind of have to be with horses cus they will put you in your place in a heart beat. Its better to let people form their own opinions about you.
Maybe a better way to word it is I know ive got what it takes, I have the drive the passion and I believe in myself and im just want to find a place that will believe in me too.

*Quote: Trainers deal with tons of rich clientele who think they are gods gift to horses.*

LoL that was great made me giggle!

Flash44
Apr. 12, 2011, 04:58 PM
This sounds harsh, but you are upset because you can't ride multiple horses a day for free? I'm not sure what your situation is. You own a horse and board it but since the barn closes early, you can only ride on your days off? You make your luck. Find a new barn if you want to ride a lot, or get a job at a barn where you have the opportunity to ride. It's not a trainer's job to give rides out to whomever walks up and wants to ride. The trainer is getting paid to train and teach, not bring people along for free.

I know how you feel, I went through a "dry spell" a couple times as a young adult, again when I had a baby, and now that I'm just really busy. Nothing changes, when you return to showing, it's pretty much the same people doing the same game.

ParadoxFarm
Apr. 12, 2011, 05:44 PM
Where in TN are you? I think the barn closing at 5:00 severely limits your riding time, and you don't see those hours often. I'd look for another barn if at all possible. PM me if you want. I'm in TN also.

doublesstable
Apr. 12, 2011, 06:26 PM
Reading a story in Practiacl Horseman about my trainer and then seeing him in action - I am honored to be able to take lessons from him. I am not in your shoes as far as wanting to move up as a horseperson "dreams"... but I am in your shoes with limited time and most of all money.

What he did; and I cannot beleive it by seeing him now; but he cleaned stalls. He was the grunt to some wonderful riders and horses. His thoughts were if someone was winning they must be doing something right. He did everything he could to be a part of their world. Today he has had great success in the Hunter world.....

If you have great "dreams" and need more ride time, sounds like this barn that closes at 5 is not the place for you..... I know there are some big barns that have working students hack their lesson horses. Don't know much about your area... but if you have goals, sometimes you need to take a turn on the road you are traveling and take a different route.... Good luck.

kateh
Apr. 12, 2011, 06:48 PM
How bad do you want this? I bet the barn opens well before you have to be at work. And by the way, what kind of barn closes at FIVE?? Find somewhere new, that's ridiculous for adult working clients.

I spent one summer rehabbing a friend's horse, and rode her usually 4 days a week. That same summer I worked 50+ hrs/week (mostly outside, manual labor), and had to drive an hour commute to the barn. If you want it, you make it work.

Once this stupid brace comes off, I'm offering my old trainer money to ride her steady-eddie schoolie because God knows he already earns his keep. If she just let me ride him, it would only be a favor to me. He'd either have a heavier workload or she'd have to reduce his lessons, which costs her money.

meupatdoes
Apr. 12, 2011, 07:00 PM
If your barn closes at 5 and you can only ride on your days off, why are you even there?

Nobody achieves high level competitive aspirations riding 2 or 3 days a week. Find someplace else, drive further, get up earlier, whatever but if you want a different situation you are going to have to go get it.

Sorry for being a little brusque, but there is no point in signing up for a situation where you are BOUND TO FAIL and then whining about it.

Bellisima
Apr. 12, 2011, 07:08 PM
I was in kind of the same position. I own a horse but wasn't able to bring her with me for my last year of school. I got fed up with not riding, and posted a wanted ad online. I knew I might not get any responses or get some crazies, but figured it was worth it anyways. I said I was willing to work in exchange for some riding.

I am now at a great barn riding some wonderful horses in exchange for mucking stalls, clipping, etc.

My advice is to be willing to work in exchange for the privilege of riding someone's horses. It doesn't matter if you were your trainers top student before, or if other people used to beg you to school their horses. A new barn/trainer doesn't know that (and will likely doubt you if you were to tell them that.) Show them how good of a rider you are, and show them how hard you can work and the opportunities will come.

kahhull
Apr. 12, 2011, 07:13 PM
I too have had a hard time fitting horses back into my life with my work schedule and also not being made of money. It would be great if I could just buy the horse and pay someone else to take care of it 5 days a week! I spent a long time trying to figure out the best way to make it work and was discouraged by what I found as far as distance to barns, cost of lessons/leases out here, and lack of riding time. But one day, I realized that I just had to do it. The perfect situation isn't going to fall into your lap - you have to make sacrafices and really put out an effort to make riding a major part of your life.

And as far as riding for free, I did that for a breeder for a long time. And honestly, I far prefer paying for a half lease and getting a quiet hour to spend with a sweet horse a few times a week and quality lessons over having a breeder look over my shoulder and tell me what her horses "should" be able to do after 60 days under saddle. So yeah, the other way was free and I got some good experience, but I get a much more enjoyable experience now.

Summit Springs Farm
Apr. 12, 2011, 07:44 PM
After taking a year off im back to riding again. Finally. But im feeling so defeated. I was used to riding 3 or 4 a day, and now im down to maaybe twice a week. I moved and had to find a new trainer also. I know its hard being the new girl in the barn. I just want to be back in shape and showing again. I work 9 hours a day and my barn closes at 5pm. So I can only ride on my days off. And I also have a hard time paying to hack a horse for 30 minutes.(I understand its someones business but geez)
I just feel like its so hard these days to find a trainer that is actually intrested in putting in the time to help further someones horse career, and not just a paycheck.(mainly because i am not made of money) I almost hate having such big dreams I have no clue how to acheive them anymore. Does anyone else get this frustrated? How do you deal? Is there such a thing as talent searches for people over 18? other than the USEF.
Well I guess my little vent is done.... *sigh* I am open to suggestions here

yup, I hear you!

KateKat
Apr. 12, 2011, 08:59 PM
Find a new barn. I would never chose a barn that closed at five since I too work full time and would only leave me able to ride 1-2 times a week. There are a lot of people on this board who live in TN so I'm sure you'll be able to find something else!

my_doran
Apr. 13, 2011, 12:21 AM
im in the exact same predicament myself...had ridden for a few yrs,now starting with new trainer/barn.yes it sure can make you feel defeated sometimes..i am also used to riding lots of horses everday before my time off.

in terms of the work/riding time ratio advice i would consider the same as what KateKat said and find a barn that is open later.i never been to a barn that closed that time.

SweetTalk
Apr. 13, 2011, 10:11 AM
As far as being the new girl and finding rides...you've got to prove yourself and your integrity before any trainer is going to be throwing horses your way. This takes time and hard work. You've got to be willing to be flexible and probably do work you might not always want to do (stalls, grooming, tacking up mounts for the trainer, etc). Time to prove yourself if you want to make it work...

xxreddxheaddxx
Apr. 15, 2011, 03:25 PM
We all know how you feel :( Just keep working at it! Never give up! I have been in your spot so many times wondering how in the world I am going to reach my dreams because I started riding too late, didn't have a nice enough horse, etc. Many tears and years later my dreams are becoming reality. Keep with it, ride as much as you can, be nice to all the trainers, even the ones who use you ( :[ ) and the right opportunities will come if you give you 100% effort!

Czar
Apr. 15, 2011, 03:54 PM
And I also have a hard time paying to hack a horse for 30 minutes.(I understand its someones business but geez)
I just feel like its so hard these days to find a trainer that is actually intrested in putting in the time to help further someones horse career, and not just a paycheck.

As others have mentioned; you either pay by money or pay by time. No one gets it for free nor should they.

I've been around the business for my whole life & it is so, so hard. You can't even imagine how much work it takes to make it - it's grueling & often thankless but you do it b/c you love the horses. And really, that's got to be practically the ONLY thing you care about.

A rider that works hard & puts in their time but has no money WILL earn a trainer's respect but truthfully, I've seen very, very few people who had it in them to go the distance.