PDA

View Full Version : HIT DrainGrid System

SpicyMonarch
Apr. 12, 2011, 03:46 PM
Has anyone used the HIT DrainGrid system? Any reviews, thoughts on the product? Thoughts on pricing and instillation? Is it everything you thought it would be and more or is it kind of over rated?

http://www.footingsolutionsusa.com/products-draingrid.php
That's the link to the product, for those who haven't seen it before.

Any feedback and thoughts on it would be very much appreciated. Also, I might have some questions that may need to be taken to PM if some of you have used it. Thanks a bunch!!! :)

Moderator 1
Apr. 13, 2011, 08:57 AM
We moved your thread here to Around the Farm, where it might get some more eyeballs on it/not get lost in the shuffle of Off Course.

Thanks!
Mod 1

Javasmom
Apr. 15, 2011, 04:09 PM
bumping this in case anyone has not seen it.

Not sure if the OP is looking at the hit drain grid for arena footing, or other uses.

I have been curious about using the hit grid in stalls over appropriate draining footing to keep the stalls drier. I've wondered if it is difficult to muck over (does the pitchfork get stuck in grids), and if it is soft/flexible enough to be comfortable with moderate bedding on top (not scarce bedding, and not to-their-knees-deep-bedding).

I imagine it also is great in heavy traffic areas like gates...?

IronwoodFarm
Apr. 16, 2011, 07:47 AM
We have HIT/Grid. It is quite durable and works very well. I have it in my stalls and the gate area to the fields. I am very pleased with this product.

There is no problem with it in stalls. They clean just like a regular stall, but horses can't dig holes in the flooring. My stall drain well. And it definitely helps in the gate areas -- no more boot sucking mud.

HIT/Grid has a competitor in Stable Grid (http://stable-grid.com/). It's the same product. She was a HIT/Grid distributor but figured out how to manufacture and distribute a similar product herself. Check out her prices. Depending on your location, shipping could be cheaper, too. I have both HIT/Grid and Stable Grid. They both work exactly the same.

oldpony66
Apr. 16, 2011, 08:43 AM
I used a similar product called Groundmaster flooring in stalls previously. Drainage was amazing, of course we actually put in more base than suggested. Forks do not get stuck in the holes - something I had wondered as well - because you top with stone dust and the surface ends up being amazingly flat... forever. no holes!

I use an enzyme based product to help break down the urine to avoid any ammonia smell. I loved the fact that I could strip the stalls and HOSE them down!

When we moved I did not put in this type of flooring in our new barn, but kind of wish I had. However, economically, when our horses are actually out 23/7 it's kind of hard to justify that kind of cost inside.

blue&blond
Apr. 17, 2011, 12:20 PM
To those of you that use this system, please tell me more!

I looked at both the websites posted and didn't seem to find what exactly do they recommend to use with the grids? One website said to NOT use gravel.

What do you have under and what do you put over it?

I would use it for outside paddocks. I'm having a hard time figuring out what I'd put on top of it. Shavings would be out of the question at least in the rainy season.

horsepoor
Apr. 17, 2011, 12:36 PM
The product that the OP is asking about seems to be designed specifically for arena and similar use as it not only has the stability of the grid, but incorporates an underground irrigation system. Would be nice for watering the footing and keeping the area level and stable, and assisting drainage. And I'm sure it costs a fortune.

I have used another grid product (Hoof-Grid, similar to Stable-Grid and other similar plastic grids) in my paddocks off the stalls. This isn't the same as what the OP is asking about, as it does not incorporate the drip irrigation lines. Great product, anyway, and I'm so happy I put it in as last month we had rain pretty much every single day and I don't have mud. Mine do have gravel - 5/8" gravel underneath the grids, then a layer of pea gravel within and on top of the grids, all recommended and approved by the Hoof-Grid people.

kelsey97
Apr. 17, 2011, 01:00 PM
I have Stable Grid in all my stalls and outside run-ins. In the stalls we excavated each stall by hand (ugh!) filled with pea rock, laid the grids, then a layer of coarse sand. Stalls are very dry, easy to clean, grids don't shift, and horses can't dig them up. For run-ins we laid the grids directly on the sand base of the run-in: the goal was to stabilize the floor for horses coming and going.

I've had the Stable Grid system for about 4 years, it's holding up very well and I feel it was worth the time and money to install it.

kelsey97
Apr. 17, 2011, 01:02 PM
To those of you that use this system, please tell me more!

I looked at both the websites posted and didn't seem to find what exactly do they recommend to use with the grids? One website said to NOT use gravel.

What do you have under and what do you put over it?

I would use it for outside paddocks. I'm having a hard time figuring out what I'd put on top of it. Shavings would be out of the question at least in the rainy season.

I have plain old regular sand, quite plentiful & cheap in my area, over the grids in my outdoor spaces.

oldpony66
Apr. 17, 2011, 02:36 PM
Mine were for stalls. I would love them in an outdoor area (it's mud season here right now) but I recall the product not being UV resistant, so it would have to be heavily covered. Of course, in the stalls we covered them with shavings.

Tommy's Girl
Apr. 17, 2011, 02:49 PM
Does anyone have experience with this kind of product in paddocks that get a lot of snow/ice? Does it suffer frost heaving?

Thanks