PDA

View Full Version : Horse trailer damaged by hail

Lmabernathy
Apr. 12, 2011, 11:55 AM
Wondering what to expect from my insurance adjustor. I have an aluminum trailer that now has hail damage. The roof has dozens of dents and it knocked 3 running lights completely off the trailer (we had baseball sized hail) I have comprehensive insurance on my trailer.

Can you repair dents in an aluminum trailer? What do you think the adjustor is going to say?

We have had 2 big storms in the past week and the insurance agencies are getting slammed right now, I'm not expecting to hear anything this week anyway.

MeghanDACVA
Apr. 12, 2011, 06:50 PM
If your insurance covers the trailer, it should cover it. Minus your deductable.

As for if you can repair dents in aluminum...that will have to come from someone more knowledgable than me about body work.

BTW, we built an extra space in our barn for the trailers. Actually, it is a hay and equipment barn and hubby made it big enough to put not only the 2 horse trailers in but also the trucks and all the farm equipment. For the sole reason of preventing weather damage. We are in OK and hail is an all too common occurance. So it has paid for itself several times over already.

Frank B
Apr. 12, 2011, 09:17 PM
I had a Subaru that got caught in a hail storm and the insurance company paid with no problems. They estimated how much the car's value was reduced and paid accordingly. Because the car was older, I pocketed the money and ignored the dents.

There are groups of body repair techs that follow big hail storms. They set up shop in closed business locations for a few days or weeks (depending on storm severity) and do a pretty good job. They may appear in your area.

You can also try this, though not sure it'll work on aluminum. On a very hot day, press an ice cube into the center of the dent. Many times it'll pop out. Dad's car got caught in a hail storm and it worked for about 3/4 of the dents. He, my brother, and I spent an August Saturday afternoon with a 6-pack (or three) "popping" dents.

tobruk
Apr. 12, 2011, 09:48 PM
We've already seen 2 trailers from the hail storm 2 nights ago around here. If your trailer is not insulated in the ceiling, here's a good chance to have it done. In both cases the insurance companies ended up spending less money to insulate than to fix the roof. Fixing an aluminum roof is difficult and the results are never what you expect them to be. Insulating the ceiling hides all the dimples and gives you a much cooler trailer. Win/win.

Puddin Pie
Apr. 13, 2011, 08:00 PM
When I saw first post, I knew without looking at the location that the OP was in Gaston Co. We have just gotten nailed recently. I got up on the top of my car to look at the roof of my trailer and it looks ok. If there is a dimple or two in it, I could not tell. The top of my trailer is fiberglass (Trail Et). Who will you get to work on it?

Heart's Journey
Apr. 14, 2011, 08:30 AM
I needed to replace the floor in my trailer due to water damage from an earlier accident to the door which allowed rain water to enter (I didn't realize the small opening was allowing the rain to enter & we have horrible thunderstorms in South Fla in the summer)

I took the trailer to the local trailer repair place for normal maintenance and they noticed the floor was soft. I contacted my insurance company and they worked with the trailer repair place. The trailer was quickly fixed and the check arrived soon after. It was a very easy process.