PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Patch @ The Fork?

barnworkbeatshousework
Apr. 12, 2011, 11:09 AM
Curious, anyone know why Laine Ashker withdrew Anthony Patch from Stadium Jumping at The Fork? Interesting pair, will we see them at Rolex?

mustangsal85
Apr. 12, 2011, 01:01 PM
I know they had a stop on XC but I haven't heard or read anything else.

barnworkbeatshousework
Apr. 12, 2011, 06:20 PM
all I heard was that she withdrew before Stadium Jumping...I don't believe they were held up at the jog, so I'm really just trying to figure out what happened. Friend of mine has a horse with a connection to Anthony Patch, hence she follows his progress with interest.

eventr4life
Apr. 12, 2011, 07:44 PM
I assume she just withdrew because of the one refusal there was no point in continuing

JER
Apr. 12, 2011, 07:58 PM
She'll probably explain it all on her blog.

(I like Laine's blog. I like it a lot. Sure, her use of language can get idiosyncratic -- which is part of its charm -- but she's got loads of heart and enthusiasm. :))

deltawave
Apr. 12, 2011, 08:10 PM
Sure, her use of language can get idiosyncratic

Is that what you call it? :lol:

ACMEeventing
Apr. 12, 2011, 08:33 PM
What IS that strange noise?

Sounds a little like a train wreck about to happen. These threads always turn entirely too entertaining.

JER
Apr. 12, 2011, 08:49 PM
deltawave, a few months ago, Laine answered her critics:

With that in mind, I would like to provide my readers with a casual disclaimer: Yes, I graduated from UVa. Yes, I speak multiple languages. And yes, I am an avid writer that enjoys keeping my friends, fans, students, and fellow horse enthusiasts updated with my eventing life. However, I was never an English major in college, nor do I dare boast about having the perfect grammar in my blog posts. I simply write from the heart, and after all, isn’ t that why you read these blogs in the first place, in order to get a real sense of the lifestyle of being an international event rider? Would you prefer a grammatically perfect blog with zero emotion or one that’s from the heart, that’s honest, and most important, recent? So, if you are truly offended by my rudimentary grammar and idiotic punctuation mistakes, then I kindly ask you to quit reading my blog, and move on with your life. If however, you want a REAL account of someone who is out there striving to achieve a life-long dream, then please proceed with caution.

I thought that was pretty great. :)

Not all good writers are good bloggers and not all good bloggers are good writers. Bloggers need to be able to connect with their readers, and Laine does succeed in the emotional component. (And I know a lot of respected, professional writers who just don't have that capacity.)

barnworkbeatshousework
Apr. 12, 2011, 08:58 PM
should it be simply because of the refusal, glad to know it wasn't a soundness issue. We weren't there, and haven't had a chance to talk to someone who was. I don't know Laine, other than following her as I see her scores on EventingNation, etc., nor do I frequent her blog. My friend (with the horse connect to Anthony Patch ~ no idea if the connection is by blood, or by sale source), she wanted to know what happened, since she is older and doesn't come to these boards, or go online for this stuff, as we do.

evntr5218
Apr. 13, 2011, 09:14 AM
i really like and agree with Laines response. blogs are a way for someone to express what they are feeling in a fun casual way. Its not a thesis. I too sometimes misspell a word or two here and there if i am just shooting a quick email or message.

deltawave
Apr. 13, 2011, 01:20 PM
the lifestyle of being an international event rider

I quit reading her blog a long time ago, and the response above says why: it isn't the grammar, but the megalomaniacal self-absorption. :lol:

Of course most blogs are by definition a form of self-absorption, so I don't think she's in any sort of minority there. :) She has just always rubbed me the wrong way. *shrug*

asterix
Apr. 13, 2011, 02:17 PM
Ah, come on, delta, are you saying that you don't sit around the hospital wondering what it would be like to live the "lifestyle" of an "international" event rider?

I'm in my 5th hour sitting in the jurors' lounge on standby jury duty. I am so bored I may in fact have to check out the lifestyles of those more exciting than I....

Lori B
Apr. 13, 2011, 02:27 PM
She reminds me of some other youngsters in my acquaintance in the monumental self-absorption department, and for that reason, I'm with DW on this one. She is entertaining, but I wish I could make her pay attention to something besides how fabulous she is for just a little bit.

Also, folks who can't be bothered to master their mother tongue, and act like that's somehow cute or clever, make me wanna smack 'em upside the head.

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 13, 2011, 02:33 PM
Ah, come on, delta, are you saying that you don't sit around the hospital wondering what it would be like to live the "lifestyle" of an "international" event rider?

I'm in my 5th hour sitting in the jurors' lounge on standby jury duty. I am so bored I may in fact have to check out the lifestyles of those more exciting than I....

They let you have your smart phones now when you are sitting waiting for Jury duty????

OFF topic...this is a fun blog to read if you are bored. (nothing related to horses)

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com

staceyk
Apr. 13, 2011, 02:58 PM
Well, to be fair, a blog is the one place you're kind of allowed to be self-absorbed, isn't it? Every day I thank my blog readership for indulging me :-).

I don't think LA's blog is particulary self-centered and while I haven't always been a fan, of late I think she deserves a good deal of credit. I'm going to be cheering for her at rolex and hope this withdrawal isn't an indication she may not be there...

Stacey

NCRider
Apr. 13, 2011, 03:05 PM
Agree with staceyk and also think you guys are looking for ways to take offense. I really like the blog and I apreciate the promptness and her willingness to say what she means, even if that means that some people jump on her for it.

Fingers crossed that all systems are go for Rolex. The video I've seen of this pair in the last year has looked awesome and ready to roll.

asterix
Apr. 13, 2011, 03:35 PM
They let you have your smart phones now when you are sitting waiting for Jury duty????

OFF topic...this is a fun blog to read if you are bored. (nothing related to horses)

Thanks! Off to check it out.
We can't TALK on the phones but there is a lot of surfing, face booking, etc going on in there...i am now waiting to be questioned in voir dire and got released for an hour to hang out in the halls entertaining myself :)... And the courthouse has free Wifi....

asterix
Apr. 13, 2011, 03:43 PM
Sorry to be so horribly OT, but born free, you have saved my afternoon! What a completely excellent blog!!!

ThirdCharm
Apr. 13, 2011, 05:02 PM
DO NOT READ THE HYPERBOLE AND A HALF BLOG WHILE SITTING IN THE JURY LOUNGE!!

I'm pretty sure collapsing in hysterics will get you disqualified. Or maybe you SHOULD read it....

Jennifer

faybe
Apr. 13, 2011, 05:07 PM
I love that blog! Read her entry about moving cross-country with her dogs. I had tears in my eyes by the time I was done.

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 13, 2011, 05:16 PM
I love that blog! Read her entry about moving cross-country with her dogs. I had tears in my eyes by the time I was done.

That is one of my fav entries too! Glad I'm not the only one that finds that blog really entertaining (great drawings too!).....and glad I could help Asterix pass the time in jury duty;)

We all need a little off topic once in a while!:D

bambam
Apr. 13, 2011, 06:07 PM

well, there goes about 45 minutes of productivity
I will now have to stay late at the office to finish up but totally worth it :lol::lol::lol::lol:

JER
Apr. 13, 2011, 06:10 PM
Hyperbole and a Half's dog is much, much more intelligent than mine. She has no idea what 'simple' really is.

:)

asterix
Apr. 13, 2011, 09:15 PM
well, since we've now driven completely off the "topic" path, I was in fact sitting in a hallway in the DC courthouse laughing out loud at the dog intelligence test (and OMG the one about dental surgery and mcDonalds, and all the onlookers who thought her mom was being cruel to her....).

Bornfree, consider that your good deed for the day! Karma smiled on me and I did not get picked, which is a good thing because I have a horse stuck in a stall after a close encounter with a wire fence...and he is relying on me for some handwalking, rebandaging, and handgrazing!!!!

(feeble attempt to make this horse related again)

ACMEeventing
Apr. 13, 2011, 09:29 PM
I quit reading her blog a long time ago, and the response above says why: it isn't the grammar, but the megalomaniacal self-absorption. :lol:

Of course most blogs are by definition a form of self-absorption, so I don't think she's in any sort of minority there. :) She has just always rubbed me the wrong way. *shrug*

plus one.

BaroquePony
Apr. 13, 2011, 09:41 PM
Well, I sure wouldn't let her ride my horse :no:.

fooler
Apr. 13, 2011, 11:45 PM
Well, I sure wouldn't let her rider my horse :no:.

Her stadium round at Rolex last year was lovely. . . but I am with you, not any pony of mine.

BaroquePony
Apr. 14, 2011, 12:22 AM
I knew another *lovely* rider that had purchased a truckload of eight imported German horses as a package deal in CA and he had them shipped to the barn in Austin TX. Out of that string of eight, two were high enough caliber to go Gran Prix jumpers easily. The rest were nice, but not quite top caliber. Of those two, the easiest going was a large red bay named Huckabay. But the best of the two I thought was a dark dapple grey named Sterling. Sterling was also very intelligent, where Huckabay was maybe not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Everyone that knew me knew that I thought Sterling was the horse of a lifetime, but I didn't think *rider* was going to do very well with him because he was so smart (on top of being extemely athletic).

So, rider started with Huckabay. He rode Huckabay on the Gran Prix circuit for a couple of years before he injured him doing something stupid. He then turned to Sterling.

When I showed up at the barn to teach my regular students, they all came up and told me that Sterling had double-barreled *rider* in the chest and *rider* was stunned and too shaken to ride.

My comment was, "I told you Sterling was smart," ...

One of my students turned to another and said, "I told you she'd say something like that."

JER
Apr. 14, 2011, 12:36 AM
I knew another *lovely* rider that had purchased a truckload of eight imported German horses....

This isn't exactly a fair comparison, even if it's just meant for humor. Laine rides (with few exceptions) OTTBs which she produces herself.

She has done a very nice job with Anthony Patch.

BaroquePony
Apr. 14, 2011, 12:41 AM
It's not the horseflesh, it's the horsemanship :yes:, or lack thereof. And what goes on behind the scenes. The real heart of the matter.

Wee Dee Trrr
Apr. 14, 2011, 08:25 AM
She just answered your question on withdrawing on her blog.

http://laineashker.blogspot.com/2011/04/wake-up-call.html

barnworkbeatshousework
Apr. 14, 2011, 09:03 AM
thanks for that link, that explains it....it wasn't there when I posted my initial post earlier in the week.

Wee Dee Trrr
Apr. 14, 2011, 11:11 AM
No problem. Eventing Nation just linked to it this AM, that's the only reason I knew. :)

event1
Apr. 14, 2011, 11:45 AM
I am neither a fan nor foe of Lainey Ashker...but what I can say is that I give the girl a ton of credit. She has made some of her own horses from scratch and most recently did it after almost having a near death ACCIDENT. That is what it was folks...an accident. When are some of you critics going to let the poor girl off the cross for Petes sake. She is a great rider that does think highly of herself but hey, if I had accomplished what she has as a rider and was able to comeback after such a horrible fall and get around Rolex on a self made horse...I would be pretty high on myself too. That is for DAMN sure. I know many BNR that have not accomplished what she has that are pretty unnecessarily high on themselves too. Who cares about what kind of grammer or what she writes in her blog. If you don't like her style...don't read it but to be constantly bashing her is ridiculous. Get a life...:mad:

deltawave
Apr. 14, 2011, 01:51 PM
Who cares about what kind of grammer or what she writes in her blog. If you don't like her style...don't read it but to be constantly bashing her is ridiculous. Get a life...:mad:

I, for one, care about grammar. And spelling, too. :D And I am not "constantly bashing" her. But I have taken the advice of those who suggest I don't read the blog. ;) Life's too short. But being argumentative is the way I'm wired, so . . . :p

I do have a life, and was not even an English major. Yet I can still manage to use the language properly most of the time, even when I'm being emotional. :lol: