PDA

View Full Version : Tightening tape fence

Unfforgettable
Apr. 12, 2011, 09:03 AM
So, after our wonderful storms on Sunday (tornadoes just south of me by five miles!) some of my top line of fence came down. I hate fixing fence and tape is the worst to tighten so it doesn't whip in the wind.

However....I found a way that made it easy for one person to do.
Tools required: two pair of vise-grips. Start at the end, pull fence tight just past the first insulator. While holding the tape in one hand, snap the first set of vise-grips on the tape right up tight to the insulator. The tape can't loosen and slide back. Move down the fenceline to the next post with the second set and repeat, then take the first set off and move further. If a splice is needed in the tape, use a third set so the fence is held tight on both sides. Makes splicing...and tightening...easy. :-)

coloredcowhorse
Apr. 12, 2011, 09:10 AM
Or you could get horseguard fencing that is stiffer and doesn't flap in the wind or stretch.

JB
Apr. 12, 2011, 09:45 AM
Well, HG can come loose, but I could count on one hand the number of times I've had to do an overall tightening over 7 years :)

And when I do have to tighten a whole line, the HG insulators are tight enough that there is very, very little slippage back, and I can work my way down the line, one insulator at a time.

NoDQhere
Apr. 12, 2011, 10:04 AM
We regularly have winds in excess of 60 MPH so even our Horse Guard will loosen some. That and the snow drifts! I just walk down the line snugging as I go, then pull it tight at the tensioner. And use gloves for grip, but the vice grip is a good idea as well.

Ltc4h
Apr. 13, 2011, 10:09 AM
Have safe-fence.
We installed w/ ratchet insulators in corners, walk out with tension tool, 30 second fix.
The end your talking about is just to difficult to pull against.

http://www.centaurdirect.com/ratchetstyletensionercasequantity-2.aspx

Nancy!
Apr. 14, 2011, 01:54 PM
Ltc4h: I have those tighteners for the electrified high tensile wire. Didn't realize that you could use them for tape. Do you have a photo?

When I use them for the electrified high tensile, I have a not electrifed section that goes into the tightener. I guess I'm not understanding how you don't ground out the electric on the fence if you use these.

Unforgettable: I do this with my electrified high tensile wire if it breaks. So much easier to fix if you're not pulling the whole fence line. Boy are we ever smart. :D

Nancy!