PDA

View Full Version : Pelham users-do you use a smaller curb rein?

ZIL
Apr. 12, 2011, 04:58 AM
For those of you that use pelhams, do you use a smaller rein for the curb? Or do you use the same size rein for both barts of the bit?

Napoles
Apr. 12, 2011, 05:15 AM
For both pelhams and double bridles.. smaller, i.e. thinner curb rein.

pm59
Apr. 12, 2011, 06:42 AM
smaller thinner flat curb rein on our pony who uses a pelham, not easy to find in pony length I might add!!

BaroquePony
Apr. 12, 2011, 07:09 AM
I did use a regular set of reins for the *curb* set until I could get/order a true curb set in the length I needed (60"). It was a real pain in the neck.

Using a regular set for the curb set made the whole set too heavy and clumsy, although semi workable. It also was difficult to pick them up easily on the run without having to *think* about which set was which.

Once I got the real set of curb reins, I could really use the bit properly and the way that it was meant to be used.

GreystoneKC
Apr. 12, 2011, 08:14 AM
Right now, my one large jumper pony has two pairs of rubber reins on hers! lol How's *that* feel in your hands! I got her a pair of pony pelham reins at the Beval sale, but still need to oil them up to use them. I think the kids who ride her will love me when I do though!

Generally speaking, I do use thinner, smooth pelham reins on the curb.

kinnip
Apr. 12, 2011, 08:18 AM
Using a thinner, smooth rein is much easier, especially if you have occasion to put both reins in one hand. You can sort the reins out by feel. It also keeps you from riding the curb.

Wayside
Apr. 12, 2011, 08:22 AM
I haven't done it in years, but I think I used a regular smooth rein for the curb, and a laced rein for the snaffle back in the day.

Everythingbutwings
Apr. 12, 2011, 08:52 AM
Proper curb rein, sewn - not buckle middle, and lip strap.

findeight
Apr. 12, 2011, 08:55 AM
For those with smaller hands, it is much easier to handle the thinner curb rein then 2 snaffle reins. But you can get thinner laced reins, their are different widths in those laced reins.

Might help you in finding something in a Pony length-the more delicate widths do tend to be from the pricier labels. May not want to use a laced curb rein in Hunters or Eq at top levels but everyplace else there should be no problem and certainly not at home or on a Jumper.

Seems to me almost any shoe repair person can take some length out by moving the buckle and lopping off some leather-may have to replace it if the rein tapers to the buckle and that's what they take off-but it's just a buckle. Nothing special and can be replaced with a wider one. Hope that makes sense.

danceronice
Apr. 12, 2011, 09:27 AM
There's another kind of curb rein?

JumpWithPanache
Apr. 12, 2011, 09:52 AM
Yep, plain leather curb rein sewn in the middle. Lip strap alternates between the two Pelhams (rubber and metal mullen mouths) depending on which is being used. Metal Pelham has a leather curb strap too.

pattnic
Apr. 12, 2011, 10:52 AM
Yes and no. When schooling or doing jumpers, I have a 5/8" ("regular") width rubber snaffle rein and a 1/2" curb rein.

When showing in hunter tack, I generally have a 1/2" laced rein for the snaffle and a 1/2" flat curb rein. I have small hands, so having less bulk works better for me.

Then to switch it up even more, I sometimes have a 5/8" plain snaffle rein and a 1/2" plain curb rein. This is not my favorite configuration, but that's only because that set of reins doesn't quite match any of my bridles!

I also prefer a curb rein that is sewn, with no middle buckle. And all my pelhams have lip straps.

doublesstable
Apr. 12, 2011, 11:04 AM
Snaffle rein laced with buckle - 5/8" - 3/4"
Curb rein plain, thin with no middle buckle (stitched). 1/2"

Make sure they are the same length. I have a hard time finding long reins for my 18 hand horse.

Thoroughbred1201
Apr. 12, 2011, 12:11 PM
I have very small hands, and trying to find pelham reins that are comfortable for me can be a real problem. I finally found them at SaddleSeat vendors. I use a 1/2" and a 3/8". These are really finely laced, and they are terrific! They look really dressy on a thoroughbred too.

Wizard of Oz's
Apr. 12, 2011, 12:44 PM
On my jumper, I use a rubber rein for the snaffle and a webbed rein for the curb. It is thick, but I prefer it that way for him. When I did hunters on my other horse, I used a laced rein for the snaffle and a thinner, flat sewn curb rein for the curb.

BeastieSlave
Apr. 12, 2011, 12:47 PM
There's another kind of curb rein?

This was my initial thought...
I figured maybe there was something 'new' out there I didn't know about ;)

redancepony
Apr. 12, 2011, 12:49 PM
We use a thinner curb rein for sure, but they can be hard to find unless you look at the higher priced ones. :)

Renn/aissance
Apr. 12, 2011, 01:32 PM
Both of my reins, snaffle and curb, are 1/2" because I have tiny hands. The curb rein is unlaced while the snaffle is laced.

EverAfter
Apr. 12, 2011, 01:39 PM
When I rode my jumper in a Pelham, I used rubber reins for the snaffle and braided leather reins for the curb.. i like the thicker reins.

Due's Mom
Apr. 12, 2011, 02:19 PM
I usually prefer 1/2" plain snaffle rein and a 3/8" sewn curb rein.

I need a 60" inch sewn curb now and haven't been able to find one.

I was going to ask why I see pictures of all these people showing GP jumpers with pelhams and bit converters

BAC
Apr. 12, 2011, 02:27 PM
This was my initial thought...
I figured maybe there was something 'new' out there I didn't know about ;)

Sadly, the only thing new is the large number of people out there who don't realize there is such a thing as a curb rein.

I dislike the current trend of people using two pairs of laced reins on pelhams. :no:

pattnic
Apr. 12, 2011, 02:30 PM
I dislike the current trend of people using two pairs of laced reins on pelhams. :no:

Also dislike.

BeastieSlave
Apr. 12, 2011, 02:38 PM
Oh, I see. I bet a lot of the peole using two sets of laced reins would dislike them too - if they knew what they were missing!

ZIL
Apr. 12, 2011, 02:54 PM
Sadly, the only thing new is the large number of people out there who don't realize there is such a thing as a curb rein.

Sorry, but I had never even heard of a curb rein being any different than a regular rein until I got my most recent SmartPak catalog and saw a separate section for them. I have never had occasion to ride a horse (English) with a curb bit before.

Beastie, I am relieved to find out that a narrower rein is appropriate: it WILL make it easier. :)

doublesstable
Apr. 12, 2011, 04:30 PM
Sorry, but I had never even heard of a curb rein being any different than a regular rein until I got my most recent SmartPak catalog and saw a separate section for them. I have never had occasion to ride a horse (English) with a curb bit before.

Beastie, I am relieved to find out that a narrower rein is appropriate: it WILL make it easier. :)

Pelhams are awesome. You can get so much done once you use the reins at appropriate times... Really, it's not a fashion trend :lol:

At first I used a "connector" - - I didn't want to deal with two reins until trainer insisted and worked with me on the advantages..... :)

EmmyTheHemi
Apr. 12, 2011, 04:57 PM
I usually prefer 1/2" plain snaffle rein and a 3/8" sewn curb rein.

I need a 60" inch sewn curb now and haven't been able to find one.

Try Bobby's English Tack. It's not fancy, but it is moderately priced, and they have long and extra-long 3/8" sewn curb reins.

Pleased_As_Punch
Apr. 12, 2011, 11:23 PM
1) What is the purpose of a lip strap?
2) Should I get one?
3) Where do I buy one?

RugBug
Apr. 12, 2011, 11:43 PM
I use either a 3/8" sewn, flat curb rein or a 1/2" sewn flat curb rein.

Truth be told, the 1/2" one was a quick and cheap purchase from the sale bin vaults at a tack store. It was old, hard, chestnut in color and kind of gross. It had a buckle until horsey stepped on said rein, snapped it at the buckle (yeah!) and I took it to the leather guy to have him sew it together. :lol:

Due's Mom
Apr. 13, 2011, 01:30 AM
Try Bobby's English Tack. It's not fancy, but it is moderately priced, and they have long and extra-long 3/8" sewn curb reins.

Many thanks :)

ZIL
Apr. 13, 2011, 03:33 AM
2) Should I get one?
3) Where do I buy one?

I wanted to ask this, too. I was too embarassed after learning on this thread that everyone knows that a curb rein is different than a regular rein. :lol:

So, I did a search and there is already a recent thread on this in the hunting forum. There is also something on Wikipedia! However, it didn't really clear it up for me. Are lip straps still appropriate? Or is it just for appointments classes? Do I need one for a short-shanked pelham?

And why are curb reins sewn instead of buckled?

FYI, Just Bridles (http://www.justbridles.com/index.php?p=product&id=163&parent=6)has a curb rein for $33; 1/2" width and either 55" or 62" length.

Smartpak also has them for $29.

Everythingbutwings
Apr. 13, 2011, 07:28 AM
2) Should I get one?
3) Where do I buy one?1) To prevent the horse grabbing at the shanks of the bit with it's mouth and to help secure the curb chain should it inadvertently come unhooked

2) To be proper, especially with a longer shanked bit (and who doesn't need another item of tack?)

3) Just about any catalog or tack shop has them, Dover's (http://equestrian.doversaddlery.com/search?dmi_offer_code=SITE&w=lip+strap&x=21&y=13&idc=[[SLI_IDC]]&ids=578908252), HorseTackCo (http://www.horsetackco.com/kincade-lip-strap.html?zenid=4laoh1dfj5k1av7d40kerngsr7), Mary's Tack (http://www.marystack.com/aaaaaaagjw.html), etc. Rick's Heritage and others ought to sell them but they don't show up on the website.

And why are curb reins sewn instead of buckled?Because you don't need them to come apart to use with a running martingale. (Regardless of what you see in the jumper ring :) )