PDA

View Full Version : Help! What is the "normal" size for fillis stirrup irons?

Rio Blanco
Apr. 11, 2011, 10:56 PM
I'm going to replace my HS stirrups with regular fillis irons with the "super comfort iron pads" (the ones that wrap around the base of the stirrup) and see if that even remotely helps my recently acquired inability to keep my heels down throughout an entire course. However...I have no idea what size to buy?? 4 1/4, 4 1/2, or 4 3/4?? I wear anything from an 8 to an 8.5 in Beval, Ariat, and Tredstep paddock and tall boots.

hoops04
Apr. 11, 2011, 11:38 PM
typical size is 4 3/4! and i love those pads!!!

Opus1
Apr. 11, 2011, 11:45 PM
Are those the one with the black diamond pattern? If so, I have those and they're pretty cool. I lose my stirrups a whole lot less with them.

chism
Apr. 11, 2011, 11:58 PM
Standard recommended size for adults is 4 3/4. I have a pair of 4 1/2's that fit just fine too. Winter boots are usually wider than regular boots so some people go with a wider stirrup for the winter.

kelsey97
Apr. 12, 2011, 09:29 AM
4 3/4 is standard adult size & those pads are really nice. I used a layer of Sealtex under mine, very comfy!

MHM
Apr. 12, 2011, 12:20 PM
4 3/4", especially if anyone else (trainer, friend) might ever sit in your saddle. It's way too easy to get a foot caught in a stirrup that's a little narrow.

ponysize
Apr. 12, 2011, 02:57 PM
I always purchase 4 3/4 sized stirrups

RugBug
Apr. 12, 2011, 03:12 PM
4 3/4", but I hate to tell you that stirrups pads aren't going to help you keep your heels down.

Rio Blanco
Apr. 12, 2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks guys :) And RugBug, I know, if only it were that easy! But I do think that my HS stirrups are screwing with my heels a little bit. I just want regular ones so that I can drill my eq like we did when I was a junior :)

Rel6
Apr. 12, 2011, 09:27 PM
I'm going to replace my HS stirrups with regular fillis irons with the "super comfort iron pads" (the ones that wrap around the base of the stirrup) and see if that even remotely helps my recently acquired inability to keep my heels down throughout an entire course.

I have HS stirrups and recently had a trainer suggest that my heel popping and leg swinging in the air might have something to do with them. Any validity to that? She said that she feels like riders reach for the stirrups as their base of support for their legs and the give of the HS doesnt give that support. Sorry to hijack this forum for a sec!

(btw not saying thats the sole cause. I have short legs and a wide barreled horse and am just starting to jump bigger stuff again. im just wondering if it could be a contributing factor)

Rio Blanco
Apr. 12, 2011, 10:40 PM
Rel6, I agree on both points. I find myself reaching for my stirrups even when they're too short when jumping anything over 3'3"ish. The HS stirrups didn't really bother me when I was a working student and riding 6+ horses and ponies a day for my boss, but now that I've just got my jumper mare and ride 5-6 days a week I'm struggling with them. The odd thing is that I don't have as much of an issue at IHSA shows when I'm riding in crap saddles with regular stirrups lol but that could also be the "oh sh*t, I'm going to die!" shock factor that IHSA in my zone tends to have at certain shows. I'm also short (short-legged and long femured...it's a horrible combination!) and somewhat stumpy, which isn't doing my any favors either! baha. At this rate, I need all the help that I can get! :lol: