PDA

View Full Version : Tall boots have too big of a calf....

sschuessler
Apr. 11, 2011, 09:28 PM
Just venting a bit....So I tried on boots at a local tack store, the Ariat Crowne Pro Zip up boots.... and the regular calf was too small while the wide calf was too big. So, I ordered a pair of full calf boots. However, these are too big in the calf area. But, I took them anyways but after one show in them, I decided I can't continue to wear them because they do not look right with the calf too big... and it is probably close to an inch too big but the smaller size will not zipup on my leg for some reason.

So frustrating to spend so much on boots to have them not work out!! So I guess my only option is to sell them and buy a different brand of boot that fits. Or has anyone ever taken their boots and had them 'altered'? Its a weird question but I am a broke college student who needs decent boots for show....
I tried on the treadstone boots too and they fit great but I was not willing to spend that much on a pair of boots that I didn't know much about... now I realize I should have gotten those!!
Anyways.... any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! (or if you just want to vent too :) )

alteringwego
Apr. 11, 2011, 10:09 PM
can shrink them up a bit with alcohol spray and a very hot car!

Big_Grey_hunter
Apr. 11, 2011, 10:21 PM
At least you can go down a size. There is not a single off the rack tall boot thin enough for my chicken legs. Then add in the tall AND skinny and I'm screwed. I'm crossing my fingers that the new tredstone 12-1/4" calf 19" height won't be too big in the calf, but it's still 1/2" bigger than I really want.

alto
Apr. 11, 2011, 10:23 PM
Double check the measurements with Ariat - sounds like the "full calf" pair you got are really a "wide calf" that were mislabeled (did you confirm the size on the label vs the box?)

As the boots already have a zip, it should be fairly easy for a GOOD cobbler to take them in, so get some price quotes on this before you decide.
(there are lots of boot alteration horror stories hence the requirement for a trained cobbler that has prior experience with tall boots)

When you buy tall boots, the initial zip should take some effort as the leather will usually stretch significantly in the first few wearings/rides BUT once zipped they should only be a little uncomfortable after an hour or so & not increasingly uncomfortable over that hour ie you should still have sensation in your feet :)

Do call up Ariat & discuss the situation as they know what leather they've used on your boots & what to predict for stretch & drop ...

Rel6
Apr. 11, 2011, 10:26 PM
At least you can go down a size. There is not a single off the rack tall boot thin enough for my chicken legs. Then add in the tall AND skinny and I'm screwed. I'm crossing my fingers that the new tredstone 12-1/4" calf 19" height won't be too big in the calf, but it's still 1/2" bigger than I really want.

At least boots offer tall slims! I'm 5'1'' with chicken legs and no ariat boots offer a short/slim. grrrr I feel your pain!

OP, I would break them in and make sure they have "dropped". When mine dropped the calf got even wider, so if you get them taken in now you might still end up with loose boots.

rwh
Apr. 11, 2011, 11:01 PM
I had off-the-rack pull-on boots taken in successfully by the Vogel store in NYC. So it is possible. Just need to find someone willing and able to do it (I went to several shoe makers who wouldn't touch them before I went to the Vogel store).

kahhull
Apr. 12, 2011, 12:15 AM
I have this problem too - the full calf hangs off me, but the regular calf is a leeeetle more snug than I would like it. I ended up going regular and stretching. However, when I worked at a tack store we sent boots out for all kinds of alterations - slimmer, wider, shorter, smaller ankle, anything you could imagine. If you can get some info out of a tack store about which cobbler THEY use, they should know of someone reputable who is familiar working with boots. Alternatively, you might be able to just go through a tack store and they'll have a connection (if they won't tell you who they use without you going through them, which would be understandable). Measure it for yourself first (how much you want taken in) and then they'll probably measure you again at the store.

If they're just a little too big you can try shrinking them - I know there's another recent thread about the "bathtub method" which apparently works backwards too - get your boots soaking wet and sit them out to dry (without putting them on). I haven't tried this so I make no claims to its effectiveness, but might be worth looking into.

kelsey97
Apr. 12, 2011, 09:26 AM
OP: Perhaps Ariat would alter them for you or suggest someone who can do it? Worth calling and asking. You really take a $ hit when selling something used, even if it's new. If I liked the boots, I'd have them taken in.

DLee
Apr. 12, 2011, 11:42 AM
Does anyone know of a good place in Lexington KY to get this very thing done?

sschuessler
Apr. 12, 2011, 10:55 PM
thanks everyone for the replies-- calling Ariat is a good idea. They are broken in as much as I think they are going to and I love the fit of the foot bed... just not the calf. The boots numbers do match up with the box so there is a small chance they were mislabeled but I doubt it. I am nervous about sending them somewhere but I will look and see if there is a place nearby

Holly Jeanne
Apr. 13, 2011, 08:37 AM
I can't remember the name off the top of my head but I had elastic put in a pair of boots at a place at the intersection of New Circle Road and Winchester RD. It's just past the intersection in a shopping center on the right as you head toward town.

DLee
Apr. 13, 2011, 10:28 AM
I can't remember the name off the top of my head but I had elastic put in a pair of boots at a place at the intersection of New Circle Road and Winchester RD. It's just past the intersection in a shopping center on the right as you head toward town.

Thank you!!

gottagrey
Apr. 13, 2011, 01:32 PM
There is a trick to tall boots -and sometimes the tack shops will be helpful sometimes not...often the trick to a boot that is just about perfect is to go up 1/2 foot size - sometimes the calf size is just a enough wider to accommodate the larger foot size so will fit the calf and upper leg nicely. If the foot is a smidge too large insert a drugstore foot/sole pad or one of those heel cups -which will take up the extra space for your foot. I've done this several times.