PDA

View Full Version : The Book

Pelham321
Apr. 11, 2011, 10:17 PM
So whats the deal with James Parker's 'THE BOOK' i keep seeing hats around the horse shows for it!

MHM
Apr. 12, 2011, 03:51 AM
I believe it's when somebody wants a "book" of horse photos, so they get a collection of shots of their horse(s) and/or kid(s), both in and out of the show ring, candids, at the barn, etc.

I know several people who had it done and they were thrilled with the results. :)

Midge
Apr. 12, 2011, 10:07 AM
The Book is a collection of old photos on James' website. There have been a couple threads on it here. If you are old enough, it is a tremendous walk down memory lane, when we were all mostly young and thin and good looking and enjoyed going to the horse shows.

http://www.jamesparkerphotography.com/

dags
Apr. 12, 2011, 10:15 AM
It's also a package product he's selling, and it's beautifully done. It's a great idea for those that are consistently at the same shows he is at. I believe for a set fee you are shot all year long, and then you get to chose about 100 photos to be compiled into a professionally printed "book". I think he also grants a certain amount of usage freedom for these clients and allows them to post the photos on the web/FB without concern.

MHM
Apr. 12, 2011, 12:14 PM
If you go to his site from the link above, you can click on "Sample Books" to get an idea of how they look. They really are works of art. :yes:

Midge
Apr. 12, 2011, 01:32 PM
Oops! What I was referring to was the 'Memory Lane' section of his site. Sorry!

ponypix
Apr. 12, 2011, 01:47 PM
Thanks to all who have commented on our Book projects..They are not a compilation of our memory lane photos on our website. However, you can see samples of The Book on that site. In short, The Book is a contract we offer to deliver to an exhibitor an artistic presentation of their relationship with their horses ( people, other pets, trainers, friends, etc) during a specified period of time The contract can be for a year. or 2 or3...whichever works best for the client. We photograph the client at all shows that we are both at and do portrait and barn shoots as they request. The final book is a 9 1/2 X 13 Leather book, published in Italy which will have Approximately 100 photos on 50 pages. The client determines the content and we execute their requests. Our business is now geared to doing more books but we are still at all our regular shows with the book clients getting more attention. The days of having a photographer going to a show and hoping to sell pictures to exhibitors is long past. NO ONE can afford to do that job AS EXPECTED by exhibitors. No need to discuss that issue...it has been talked to death everywhere and I'm afraid that some people will not understand the problems until they go to a show, with a new horse, have a great week, and find out that "Uncle Bob" didn't show up because he HAD TO GO TO WORK....and there are No photos.Thanks for your interest in our Books...We are very proud of them....they really represent what can be done once you get past the same old photo.It is not for everyone, but everyone who has contracted us has told us how much they appreciate them,,,usually by doing another book. Any ???;ponypix@mac.com

SaturdayNightLive
Apr. 12, 2011, 01:52 PM
Wow - what a cool idea! I loved the samples!

Now I'm sorta sad that I'll never be at the right horse shows to commission one... On the other hand, if I can't afford to play at the right horse shows, I doubt I could afford the commission...:lol:

Too bad though - the samples are really beautiful.

ponypix
Apr. 14, 2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks for all your responses to this post. Many of the people who have contacted us directly wanted to know how often we would have to be at the same show to make it practical to contract a book. Every book project is different. We determine whether we could do the book based on many factors...How often we are at the same show, how many horses you want included in your book( some may be retired horses as well as currenly show horses), if you have your own farm and HS set up, etc. There is no set time frame for our books. Although they were originally meant for one year, we now have done books for as short a period of one WEF circuit ( We actually did a book in 2 weeks for a family who brought 14horses from the west coast to a NY show) and have contracts covering 3 or more years for Juniors with years left in their junior careers. So, if the concept interests you, give us a call and we can determine if The Book is for you. You can call us at 561-309-4342 ( James( or 561-635-4474 (Kathy)

ponypix
Apr. 19, 2011, 12:30 AM
For those who are interested in the "state" of show photography, there is a thread entitled "Where are all the photographers" on this board that might be of interest

DarkStarrx
Apr. 19, 2011, 01:05 AM
Oh my, those are gorgeous!

Across Sicily
Apr. 20, 2011, 12:14 AM
Woooooowwww those are stunning... if I ever get down to WEF, this would definitely be worth it. I can't stop drooling over the sample Books. Just beautiful.