PDA

View Full Version : A Good Intermediate Level Move-Up Course? (area 2)

Zoomd
Apr. 11, 2011, 04:51 PM
I'm looking at moving a horse up to intermediate this Spring, and was wondering which Spring events may have a good, confidence building course for her first? I last moved a horse up in the Summer on pretty challenging XC.... which worked for him, but if there's a simpler intermediate to do first it would probably be better off for this horse.

I was hoping to do Plantation this weekend, but couldn't because of some back soreness that is now resolved. So I was looking at Loudoun or MCTA? MCTA's omni listing says confidence building course, but I'm not sure I believe this since they tend to have very problematic upper level XC for even experienced horses in the past. Any ideas?

faybe
Apr. 11, 2011, 06:36 PM
DH has a horse going intermediate now (and is the CD for the lower levels at both MCTA and Loudoun, so is familiar with both courses and their designer) and he has recommended both to friends who have posed this same question. I know MCTA will be a solid I; if anything I would say that Loudoun may not be quite as big, but don't quote me on that. But if your horse is well schooled and ready for the level, either should be appropriate. Good luck!

Tazzie
Apr. 12, 2011, 08:49 AM
I think MDHT II is a move-up Intermediate if I remember correctly. The course designer sets the course to be slightly difficult the first weekend so it can be used to move up levels the following weekend. Feel free to contact Mogie (course designer) and talk to her about it, she's great to speak to.

faybe
Apr. 12, 2011, 09:14 AM
Mogie is a small r so she doesn't design the intermediate, right? But obviously could probably tell you about the course.

Zoomd
Apr. 12, 2011, 09:50 AM
Faybie, you're right, as of last year Mogie only did the MDHT courses through prelim. Not sure who did the intermediate, but it was a pretty solid one (that's where I moved my gelding up last year). After, a few people were like wow, that was a tough one for your first! We did have a decent experience there through, always love the organization and footing and well built everything there at Loch Moy.

As far as Loudoun vs MCTA, maybe they have troubles because the omnibus lists it as confidence building and inviting but its actually very solid, so people feel overmatched for what they signed up for? Think I'll sign up for Loudoun I =]

Tazzie
Apr. 12, 2011, 10:08 AM
I apologize if I gave incorrect info on MDHT, I was going from memory, and memory isn't always correct :) But I still agree that Mogie could give you some input anyway.

faybe
Apr. 12, 2011, 10:38 AM
Oh- duh! Tremaine does the I at Maryland (same as MCTA and Loudoun). Maryland's not until July though so maybe a little late for a "spring" move up. :)

retreadeventer
Apr. 12, 2011, 08:17 PM
Mogie just took the test for large R, so you may be right!

faybe
Apr. 12, 2011, 08:32 PM
Mogie just took the test for large R, so you may be right!

True, but if she finds out about that before the July HT she'd be setting some kind of USEF record. :lol: