PDA

View Full Version : Pacemaker for rider does it interfere with eventing

alexandraandwahsabi
Apr. 11, 2011, 04:45 PM
I am facing the possibility of having a pacemaker implanted in the near future. My doctors say horse riding and pacemakers are not an issue. But a friend says it will prevent me from eventing. Any feed back would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Alexandra and Wahsabi
:)

RAyers
Apr. 11, 2011, 04:49 PM
From my perspective, only if there is microwave ovens on course.

Reed

Mudroom
Apr. 11, 2011, 05:08 PM
You might try cross-posting this on the fox hunting board. Obviously I don't know your age or your heart issue, but there are more fox hunters of "mature" age that may be out there riding hard with pace makers.

MeghanDACVA
Apr. 11, 2011, 05:45 PM
Deltawave is the one to ask and I am sure she will chime in soon enough.

Based on my understanding of pacemakers in general, it shouldn't be a problem. But D is the one to say for sure.

Why are you needing a PM? Just being nosey so don't say if you dont' want to but D may ask.

deltawave
Apr. 11, 2011, 06:14 PM
No, I'm not going to ask because it's none of my business. :)

In and of itself (assuming no other related heart problem that would preclude participation in a vigorous sport) a pacer should not pose a problem in riding/eventing after the initial couple of weeks after implantation. The area where the pacer would lie should be readily covered/protected by your vest.

You would want to put a copy of your pacemaker wallet card in with your armband, probably.

Make sure your pacemaker Dr./Nurses know that you compete in a sport where there are potential extremes of heart rate, and that these are not always due to exertion only. Adrenaline will send your heart rate up quite high at times (XC warmup, anyone?) ;) and it might help them to know that when adjusting your settings.

I know a couple of people who have pacemakers and defibrillators who are out there eventing. :)

Good luck!