PDA

View Full Version : Coat for Dressage/Stadium... is this overkill?

Ibex
Apr. 11, 2011, 03:56 PM
So I bought myself a lovely new coat from England. Thinking at the time we'd be doing rated dressage, some eventing on the side. Plans have changed. We'll be eventing and doing dressage schooling shows. What can I say, the horse demanded a change in her contract :lol:

Jacket is a LOVELY Pikeur Epsom, Navy blue with a wine coloured velvet collar and gold piping and buttons. Yeah, it's preeeeettttyyyy.... however I'm also thinking it may be way over the top for BN... :rolleyes: I also have a dark grey hunt coat. Which would you wear??

And yes, I should be worrying more about our riding than our wardrobe. However I can't do anything about the riding from my desk at lunch time :winkgrin:

Fairview Horse Center
Apr. 11, 2011, 04:04 PM
Ride is what makes you feel and ride your best in. :D

but will you cry if you get it trashed in the stadium? ;)

asterix
Apr. 11, 2011, 04:20 PM
Keep in mind that a jacket is ENTIRELY optional in events where you contest all three phases on one day...so while it's nice to have one, two might be overkill anyway...

scubed
Apr. 11, 2011, 04:21 PM
I wear a (now 12 or so year old) Pikeur Doreen in the dressage and SJ of any event where a coat is required regardless of level. It is super comfortable and allows sufficient room for my shoulders when jumping on my (sometimes not perfectly behaved) youngsters

Ibex
Apr. 11, 2011, 04:26 PM
Keep in mind that a jacket is ENTIRELY optional in events where you contest all three phases on one day...so while it's nice to have one, two might be overkill anyway...

I'm in Canada... no such luck! :eek: (And we don't really have 1-days where I am. Everything is over a minimum of 2 days, sometimes 3).

Sonoma City
Apr. 11, 2011, 04:47 PM
It sounds beautiful! If you don't feel comfortable wearing it, I'll take it off your hands ;) I have an Epsom, I love the cut of them! But mine is boring black with a black velvet collar...and I even replaced the silver buttons with black buttons so it's even more boring! (I changed them so I could fox hunt in it and it seemed like too much of a hastle to change them back!) I've had a hankering to get a tailor to replace the collar with a dark plum to give it a little bling, but then I'd need a new hunting coat. Sorry for the rambling, but moral of the story...I'd rock it if I were you! Resist the black/white dressage penguin trend! :P

eventer_mi
Apr. 11, 2011, 04:58 PM
I'd wear the Pikeur for dressage and the grey jacket for stadium.

and yes, I have two coats as well - I don't like the length of my dressage coat for stadium. I have a lovely RJ classics with silver piping for dressage, and a windowpane French blue hunt coat for stadium.

subk
Apr. 11, 2011, 05:00 PM
It wouldn't be over the top for a recognized BN around here. Dashing maybe, but I know lots of people who ride multiple horses of which only one is BN. They don't worry about being too dressed up for BN and just wear whatever they wear. I had a Pikeur Diana that I did both dressage and stadium in. Sometimes just to shake it up a bit I'd wear the Diana for dressage then switch to a brown tweed in SJ...

BestHorses
Apr. 11, 2011, 06:33 PM
My 2 cents: I find it overkill when I see people all gussied up in fancy dressage coats (and all kinds of other bling) at lower levels. Especially when the riding is not, ahem, very good. I'm always left with the feeling that some people should spend more time riding than shopping.

But, if it makes you happy, wear it proudly and don't give a crap what I or anyone else says! :)

VicariousRider
Apr. 11, 2011, 07:29 PM
I believe that that is the coat that Lainey Ashker (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://useventing.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/fh-09-sj-ashker.jpg&imgrefurl=http://useventing.com/blog/%3Fp%3D6917&usg=__X6PISkVp9-rAhaRcxGzknY-yOHo=&h=480&w=320&sz=48&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=PIMmPcNXhYldYM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=85&ei=io6jTceZHMfXgQeS9cm4CA&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlaine%2Bashker%2Bshowjumping%26hl%3De n%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D564%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=1003&vpy=190&dur=327&hovh=130&hovw=87&tx=86&ty=185&oei=io6jTceZHMfXgQeS9cm4CA&page=1&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:12,s:0) show jumps in.

I'm with Fairview AND BestHorses: Wear whatever makes you proud and happy but do remember that (like white gloves) flashy outfits draw attention and, IMO, require equally high-class riding (within your level).

PassionforPonies
Apr. 11, 2011, 07:32 PM
Here's my theory: your gonna move up eventually, and you might as well buy something that you're not gonna be embarrassed to wear later on. Also, even eventing at the lower levels costs a small fortune, so buy something quality that will last and won't have to be replaced. And if it happens to be ridiculously pretty, then that makes it even more awesome. But above all, comfort is most important. If it fits well, is cool and you don't spend your whole ride worrying about it, then it is good and chances are anyone who thinks you're overdressed is probably a little jealous of it on some level.

DragonTea
Apr. 11, 2011, 07:41 PM
Usually depends on your coach.

I know for the lower levels they aren't too concerned with the brand or type you're wearing but there are color requirements and such for the upper levels.

I know some upper level riders wear either black and white or cream and navy for dressage in the upper levels.

But I'm a lower level rider and my horse is a paint and quarter horse so we need every bonus point we can get in dressage so everytime we braid, have our pikeur coat, and look polished... or try to. He has a completely white hind end ;)

fanfayre
Apr. 11, 2011, 08:05 PM
Go for it, Ibex!!!! You'll look lovely, and you'll show the not-so-wells how one SHOULD be turned out.
Yes, in Canada we always wear out jackets for dressage and stadium unless they're excused if it's too hot(judge's decision).

GreystoneKC
Apr. 11, 2011, 08:42 PM
If it makes you happy, go for it and rock it! As a H/J princess who dabbles in eventing, I'm all about being fashionable and stylish in the ring! I can't wait to wear my new Grand Prix techno jacket in dressage at my next event! It's black with a burgandy collar. :) So wear that fun jacket proudly, heck, wear BOTH of them (in dressage and stadium)!!! And take pics! :)

StoneleaFarm
Apr. 11, 2011, 09:21 PM
Not trying to hijack, but what are the restrictions on the upper levels DragonTea mentioned? I was considering investing in a coat that I have been eyeing forever, but don't want to have to buy another one anytime soon, and ideally would like the option to wear whatever I buy if I do a CIC/CCI one day.

I was thinking a dark charcoal grey with a light grey collar (possibly pocket flaps too?) with a matching dark charcoal grey helmet. I thought it could be subtely different enough without being overkill, but I still wonder if I should just stick with a solid black coat and helmet.

Any thoughts?

baxtersmom
Apr. 12, 2011, 10:27 AM
I don't believe there are restrictions for color (just "dark," if I recall) but no tweed.

Re: charcoal coat, I just saw an eBay UK ad for a gray Pikeur with pale blue collar. Size 38. Nice. :) They pop up used more often over there.

Re: OP, I would totally go for it. But I had a troubled show-clothes childhood (only po' kid in a hunter barn) and am a complete diva about show clothes now (fashion police be damned). I have an unusually colored Pikeur that has gotten me tons of compliments, even if it makes the purists groan. ;)

Ibex
Apr. 12, 2011, 11:41 AM
Hmmm. It is the same one as LA's, except mine doesn't have piping on the pockets, and the collar is a darker wine colour.

Here's the entertaining twist to the whole story... this coat had been lost in the mail. I bought it MONTHS ago. Seller had refunded my money (yes, I am in touch asking for them to resend the invoice so I can pay them), and, wait for it, I'd JUST bought another plain black version of the same coat from Marbella dressage. It's not even here yet. I absolutely do NOT need three coats. One of the Pikeurs, both new with tags, will have to go. I've had the hunt coat for years - it's my long time stand-by/back-up.

So which would you sell?
1) the fashion statement jacket, which I adore, but may be overkill. And is a wee bit memorable. And which my trainer hasn't seen for very good reason :winkgrin:
or
2) The classic, plain black one. In very good taste, refined, no one is going to say "the one in the plain black jacket who got bucked off"...

Sonoma City
Apr. 12, 2011, 11:57 AM
I really don't think the blue/wine jacket is overkill or too much of a fashion statement. To tell you the truth, I feel very strange entering the ring for my BN dressage test in the same garb that I wear when showing 2nd level. For that reason, I often wear tan breeches, black coat, light colored stock (e.g., light green, pale violet, etc.) instead of white at the low levels. I've never had anyone say that it was over the top and too nontraditional. Maybe they're talking behind my back, but the judges don't seem to mind! I think the color makes it a bit more casual and fun, which is appropriate at that level. Wear what makes you feel great out there!

VicariousRider
Apr. 12, 2011, 12:07 PM
This is really up to you. It's a personal choice. I am very conservative with things like this (my colors are green and white and I used to be a h/j person) so I am going to tell you to keep the black jacket if you can only keep one. It's also more versatile. You can wear it eventing (in 2 phases perhaps), to a "real" dressage show, and even foxhunting. Plus, I'm always afraid that I'll get sick of things that are too distinct.

But, look at all the posts above telling you to go for it. This really is your call.

Tobias
Apr. 12, 2011, 12:23 PM
Usually depends on your coach.

I know for the lower levels they aren't too concerned with the brand or type you're wearing but there are color requirements and such for the upper levels.

I know some upper level riders wear either black and white or cream and navy for dressage in the upper levels.

But I'm a lower level rider and my horse is a paint and quarter horse so we need every bonus point we can get in dressage so everytime we braid, have our pikeur coat, and look polished... or try to. He has a completely white hind end ;)

A little off topic here, but I was at an eventing show, I was a videographer for the weekend. So on the dressage dayI was standing right next to the judge, and when paint horse cam in the ring, the judge made a comment that cracked me up! The horse also had a all white butt, and the judge said "they got that horse really clean, look at how pink his but is!" :lol:

I will admit, the horse had not a speck of dirt on him, not even under his tail.

OP, that coat sounds stunning! I don't know about rules, or if it would be ok, but I agree with others and say go for it! But I think it requires some pictures!

Jazzy Lady
Apr. 12, 2011, 12:51 PM
I think you should keep the one you love the best. Honestly. Nobody is going to look at you and say "look at that person only going BN wearing a fancy coat. What is up with that?" If they do, they are petty jerks.

whicker
Apr. 12, 2011, 12:55 PM
Ibex,
That coat couldn't possibly work with your coloring.. As a favor, I would be willing to take it off your hands..Bwaa haa haa!:winkgrin::lol:

It is gorgeous!!! Wear it and shine a big grin. Taking pride in your appearance does make a difference in how you carry yourself. Sit up and think "It's Show Time! and I'm going to ride well" . Stay positive and the ride will go well. The homework has to be done ahead, but you are learning the art of presentation.

And let me know if you are coming down to my part of the world, so I can cheer you on!