PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an herbicide that will NOT kill my clover

mpsbarnmanager
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:05 PM
Everything I have looked at, such as pastuergaurd, cimmeron plus, etc... Say they will kill my clover. Anyone know of a prouduct that won't? Thanks!

Alagirl
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:13 PM
uhhh, what do you want to kill?:confused:

horsetales
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:17 PM
Hi There. I just reaserched this with the farmer who does our spraying and a product rep. Unfortunately unless you can keep them off for a long period theres not much. The 2 products they told me about were you spray and cannot use for feeding until 30 days posttreatment. I can see if I still have the names somewhere if you can leave yours fallow that long

http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLiteratureDAS/dh_0046/0901b80380046d62.pdf?filepath=nz/pdfs/noreg/012-00162.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

didgery
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:19 PM
Fighting my urge to hop in with some liberal, pro-organic, chemicalphobic criticism of this approach. (Not winning the fight.) How about a herd of goats? They love broad-leafed weeds!

Alagirl
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:29 PM
Fighting my urge to hop in with some liberal, pro-organic, chemicalphobic criticism of this approach. (Not winning the fight.) How about a herd of goats? They love broad-leafed weeds!

LOL, it really depends on what the target is. There are things I hate more than lawn chemicals...they.must.die!!!!!!

deltawave
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:58 PM
Pssssh. You aren't going to kill the clover. :lol:

We use Pasture Pro in the summer/fall, and regular old 2,4-D in the spring. The clover wilts for a week or so and then comes roaring back, undeterred! ;)

subk
Apr. 11, 2011, 02:02 PM

We use Pasture Pro in the summer/fall, and regular old 2,4-D in the spring. The clover wilts for a week or so and then comes roaring back, undeterred! ;)
This is exactly what I was thinking.

JSwan
Apr. 11, 2011, 02:14 PM
Clover does bounce back. I'd not worry too much if it's just horse pasture.

mpsbarnmanager
Apr. 11, 2011, 03:30 PM
uhhh, what do you want to kill?:confused:

I planted endophyte free fescue, orchardgrass and white clover. I am trying to kill wild mustard, buttercups, and a few other broadleaf weeds I don't know the names to.

mpsbarnmanager
Apr. 11, 2011, 03:35 PM

Haha, good luck with that! ;). I'm all about chemicals. ;). Plus its not fenced yet and goats are really stupid animals. This is not being grazed yet, its my new barn that is still under construction and I'm cutting it for hay.

mpsbarnmanager
Apr. 11, 2011, 03:37 PM

Whew! Thanks deltawave! ;)

mpsbarnmanager
Apr. 11, 2011, 03:41 PM
Hi There. I just reaserched this with the farmer who does our spraying and a product rep. Unfortunately unless you can keep them off for a long period theres not much. The 2 products they told me about were you spray and cannot use for feeding until 30 days posttreatment. I can see if I still have the names somewhere if you can leave yours fallow that long

http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLiteratureDAS/dh_0046/0901b80380046d62.pdf?filepath=nz/pdfs/noreg/012-00162.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

The names would be great! Is not being grazed, its going to be hay so I can probably wait 30 days to cut.

Bedrock
Apr. 11, 2011, 03:41 PM
I thought Pasture Pro and 2 4 d were the same ?

MeghanDACVA
Apr. 11, 2011, 03:51 PM
I think Grazon is ok for clover but you would have to check.
I don't know if it is approved for your area so you would have to check that too.
And you need a permit to use it. Or have someone with a permit put it on for you.

JSwan
Apr. 11, 2011, 05:24 PM
orchardgrass and white clover. I am trying to kill wild mustard, buttercups, and a few other broadleaf weeds I don't know the names to.

If you've got a real problem with those weeds your soil needs lime.

It would be a good idea to get your soil tested, and then lime and fertilize according to the test results. Perfect time of year to do it.

Talk to your feed store/co-op and see if you can take the sample in to them - they'll send it off and get the results for you.

Tamara in TN
Apr. 11, 2011, 05:30 PM
I planted endophyte free fescue, orchardgrass and white clover. I am trying to kill wild mustard, buttercups, and a few other broadleaf weeds I don't know the names to.

2,4,D will hurt the clovers feelings but only for a few days...

slay them all the Lord will know his own!!!:lol::lol:

Tamara

mpsbarnmanager
Apr. 11, 2011, 05:55 PM
:lol::lol::lol: too true! Thanks everyone!

deltawave
Apr. 11, 2011, 06:42 PM
I thought Pasture Pro and 2 4 d were the same ?

Yes, I think you're right. It was Grazon I was thinking of that is the "other stuff" we use. Sorry! :uhoh:

jaimebaker
Apr. 11, 2011, 08:33 PM
I used Forefront last year to target clover (my herd does NOT do well on clover) and killed probably 75% of it and it did NOT come back yet (been a year). 25% has. But other weeds have come up in place of the clover so just more problems. So you CAN kill clover but you gotta have a vendetta for it. A light spray is just gonna make it laugh.

vineyridge
Apr. 11, 2011, 08:36 PM
There's a new herbicide called Pastora. Not sure when you are supposed to put it out, but a hay farm told me that it was wonderful stuff and actually gets rid of Johnson grass. I guess it's a replacement for MSMA. It also gets rid of sandburs. But it's only for bermudagrass.

http://www2.dupont.com/Land_Management/en_US/products_services/herbicides/Pastora_herbicide.html

Alagirl
Apr. 11, 2011, 08:44 PM

Ah, yes, I think some of those qualify for the ultimate death warrant :lol:

If you've got a real problem with those weeds your soil needs lime.

It would be a good idea to get your soil tested, and then lime and fertilize according to the test results. Perfect time of year to do it.

Talk to your feed store/co-op and see if you can take the sample in to them - they'll send it off and get the results for you.

double ditto, I do recall buttercups being so called indicator plants.

Like clover, really, because if you fertilize your grasses heavily you can give them the advantage over clover...thus (almost) killing it.

deltawave
Apr. 11, 2011, 09:21 PM
It also gets rid of sandburs

REALLY? Ohhh, must get some!

fordtraktor
Apr. 11, 2011, 09:36 PM
I had to laugh at this thread. People actually WANT clover? Clover is a pest! My dad was lecturing me last week about how I need to do a total field kill to get rid of my clover, and reseed with something desirable.

deltawave
Apr. 11, 2011, 10:41 PM
It can be a pest and is not suitable for all horses to graze, but its very indestructibility makes it rugged for pastures, it fixes nitrogen, and is very palatable and full of nutrients.

SonnysMom
Apr. 12, 2011, 08:17 AM
I agree with fordtraktor since I hate clover slobbers. EEEWWWW.....:eek:

jaimebaker
Apr. 12, 2011, 12:41 PM
I had to laugh at this thread. People actually WANT clover? Clover is a pest! My dad was lecturing me last week about how I need to do a total field kill to get rid of my clover, and reseed with something desirable.

Count me in as a clover hater! Not only do I deal with slobbers I deal with one mare that lactates horribly on it (hasn't had a foal in 7 years) and last year she went into full blown mastitis. Clover and I don't get along well. I also blame it for a few other problems so I went after it with a vengeance last year.