PDA

View Full Version : What is an Outrider and why?

hydro101
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:01 PM
Being new to the eventing world, I can usually google all the new terms/lingo you seasoned vets use. However I can't find any good info on what an 'outrider' is. I keep seeing them in photos of peoples flickr albums about Rolex.

So, what are they? Why? What level do you see them? Is it really necessary or more part of tradition? Any info will help - I'm trying to sponge up as much info as I can! :D

mares tails
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:02 PM
Traffic Cop :)

LAZ
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:07 PM
In the earlier days outriders served not only as crowd control but also as score collectors. Now most events use golf carts for score collection & crossings, so you primarily see outriders as pleasant crowd control at big events. I can't think of any in our area, other than Rolex, that still use them.

cllane1
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:19 PM
Or you might see them at events that are run over large tracts of public land. There used to be an event in Wyoming (Moon Rock) where the x-c course was on National Forest land, so it wasn't fenced or bounded in any way. They had outriders to catch any loose horses so that they didn't head off into thousands of acres. I think there are a few other events out west that still use them as needed.

vineyridge
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:26 PM
They have outriders at most of the big steeplechase meets in the US. Purpose is crowd control and catching loose horses.

amastrike
Apr. 11, 2011, 02:00 PM
The last event I jump judged at (novice two day up through CIC**) had outriders collecting score sheets.

Lori B
Apr. 11, 2011, 03:56 PM
Seneca HT in MD uses Pony Clubbers / games kids on tiny adorable ponies to shuffle scores around. Makes me wish I was 4' tall!!!!!!!!!!!!

piaffeprincess98
Apr. 11, 2011, 07:05 PM
Fair Hill uses them too for the CCI***.

wishnwell
Apr. 11, 2011, 07:44 PM
Stuart H.T. in NY still uses them.