PDA

View Full Version : How Many "People Steps" make up a Stride?

Concetta
Apr. 11, 2011, 12:23 PM
I can never really remember how many steps make up a stride...and do you take big or small steps while trying to set lines w/out a tape measure

Come Shine
Apr. 11, 2011, 12:24 PM
4 big (3') steps makes a 12 foot stride.

Kryswyn
Apr. 11, 2011, 12:28 PM
Contractors are always amazed when I can walk off a distance with accuracy later proved by their tape measures! :D

kahhull
Apr. 11, 2011, 12:41 PM
I guess the "big or small" depends on how tall you are. For me, they are big steps at 3' (4 of those make a stride), but I imagine for someone 6' tall that's not that big of a step.

Zipsmom
Apr. 11, 2011, 12:55 PM
I guess the "big or small" depends on how tall you are. For me, they are big steps at 3' (4 of those make a stride), but I imagine for someone 6' tall that's not that big of a step.

It would be for me! Mine are 2 ft pretty reliably.

To the MAX
Apr. 11, 2011, 12:58 PM
Get out a measuring tape, set it on the floor at 12', and walk it in four steps until you know what it feels like for you.

DMK
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:06 PM
Get out a measuring tape, set it on the floor at 12', and walk it in four steps until you know what it feels like for you.

There you go, it's a good thing to practice. You can even practice walking along fence lines (usually 8' sections) or along a fence pole (assuming it is a 12') when you are at the farm. My big step is bigger than 3'0 and I need to tone down my step to be a "medium plus" step in order to get the lines right.

caradino
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:59 PM

SO SMART!! I need to do this. I'm great at "eyeballing" distances just by looking, but can't walk one out to save my life. :)

*Liz*
Apr. 11, 2011, 02:36 PM
SO SMART!! I need to do this. I'm great at "eyeballing" distances just by looking, but can't walk one out to save my life. :)

And I'm the dead opposite ;) I can walk a distance all day long, but I can not "eyeball" anything. I even tend to guess in-and-outs wrong :lol:

I walk 4 "big" steps at 3' to pace a stride. Personally, I find walking through footing and walking on grass is quite different. If I'm in soft footing, I have to 'stride out' a little extra to compensate for the sand/whatever.

I think another great way to practice is to walk known lines. Ask someone what the lines are set at for your course at home. Then walk the 5 stride line until you can pace it consistently in 5 strides.

purplnurpl
Apr. 11, 2011, 02:46 PM

lol. yup. I take 4 baby steps.
My foot is exactly 12" long with a shoe on too so when I measure out canter and trot poles I can do it with amazing accuracy.

Ponyclubrocks
Apr. 11, 2011, 02:58 PM
If you know your poles are 12 feet you can practice walking 4 steps the length of the pole (plus you can use the pole to check your measurements).

benni
Apr. 11, 2011, 03:27 PM
If you are short - 5! If you are short and had a big lunch - maybe 5 and a half to 6! If you had a few drinks to handle you nerves - then 7! BUt who's counting by then? Just go with it!

UltimateAlter
Apr. 11, 2011, 03:48 PM
Starting from the landing side of the jump in to a line of 2 jumps, you start pretty much right up against the jump and take 2 steps (of half of a stride) into the line before starting the first "stride" of 4 steps, is that right? And end the line with an extra 2 steps before the second jump in the line to account for the "take off"?

mikali
Apr. 11, 2011, 04:13 PM
Starting from the landing side of the jump in to a line of 2 jumps, you start pretty much right up against the jump and take 2 steps (of half of a stride) into the line before starting the first "stride" of 4 steps, is that right? And end the line with an extra 2 steps before the second jump in the line to account for the "take off"?

I was always taught to count differently for a line versus a combination.

In a combination, you want to know how many feet, so you count each step. I personally go "3-6-9-12-3-6-9-24" for a one stride and "3-6-9-12-3-6-9-24-3-6-9-36" for a two stride. You then can figure out if it's a little tight or a little long...

I usually walk my course more than once so the first time, I will take 4 steps (12') for my take off and landing then count 1-2-3-1-1-2-3-2-1-2-3-3-etc for the line.

Then when I re-walk the course I can look more closely at any of the lines that I feel I need too.

kahhull
Apr. 11, 2011, 04:50 PM
If you are short - 5! If you are short and had a big lunch - maybe 5 and a half to 6! If you had a few drinks to handle you nerves - then 7! BUt who's counting by then? Just go with it!

:lol:
I fit into all these categories at one point or another.

doublesstable
Apr. 11, 2011, 06:54 PM

And if you have no tape measure handy you can use a jump pole. (most of them are 12')

I have taken two poles and ran them length wise to set jumps before...

RugBug
Apr. 12, 2011, 01:03 AM
There you go, it's a good thing to practice. You can even practice walking along fence lines (usually 8' sections) or along a fence pole (assuming it is a 12') when you are at the farm. My big step is bigger than 3'0 and I need to tone down my step to be a "medium plus" step in order to get the lines right.

Yes. My "big" step is much too long. I always think to myself "regular step" and I am right on the money. I'm only 5'7" so it's not like my legs are miles long.

I practice with a jump pole. Put it on the ground and walk it off. I'll do this every once in a while just to make sure I'm taking the right sized steps.

I, too, can walk off non-horse related distances fairly accurately. I wanted to know the size of my house one day...did a little walk about and was pretty darn close when I finally got the real dimensions/square footage. It's a pretty handly tool, actually. I've walked off furniture before (garage sales, stores when I'm not actually looking for furniture and don't have a tape with me, etc).

Peggy
Apr. 12, 2011, 01:26 AM
Contractors are always amazed when I can walk off a distance with accuracy later proved by their tape measures! :D
I amazed a college president, a bunch of people from Facilities (who should have been sharp enough to have tapes with them), the contractor consultant, and several of my fellow faculty with this ability one afternoon.

GrayCatFarm
Apr. 12, 2011, 07:08 AM
I amazed a college president, a bunch of people from Facilities (who should have been sharp enough to have tapes with them), the contractor consultant, and several of my fellow faculty with this ability one afternoon.

LOL. Space! - the currency of academics.

DMK
Apr. 12, 2011, 10:51 AM
rugbug, a friend of mine rode with a jumper BNT who was kind of a beeyatch. I was helping set fences when she was schooling the day before the show.

My "oddness" is I think in terms of feet not strides. Tell me how many feet you want it, and I'll walk it off pretty close. She wanted an in and out for a jumper and I think in terms of hunter strides not jumper, so I asked her how many feet she wanted it (I suspected that she wanted it tighter than a hunter step, because she had been working on getting my friend deep to the base, AND the horse clearly was backed off and not making his normal step). She just said "one stride", so I walked off 26 feet or so and hoped for the best. She saw me walking with not a huge stride and freaked out and started screaming at me to TAKE NINE BIG STEPS LIKE THIS!!!

I'm thinking "Uh, look lady, you only come up to my shoulders, my big step is BIIIG - no way he can get through that if I do 9 of those. So I asked her homny feet she wanted the combination. I sensed the imminent explosion and I really didn't want to be there... So I felt really bad for my friend and probably walked off the longest one stride evah... I'm guessing that baby came in close to 32 feet and I'm betting she was looking for 25 feet if she was trying to do what I think she wanted. He umm, did 1.5 to 2 strides every time, but he did get in very deep to the base on two. Very deep. :eek:

My poor friend, she was so bummed thinking her horse had no step and he couldn't get to the base. Later after I made my escape from The Angry One, I told her how long I thought that line was. Oops. ;)

goodmorning
Apr. 12, 2011, 12:07 PM
My big steps are never as consistent as my medium-ish steps. I have 4 to 12' - works out pretty well ;)