PDA

View Full Version : Pine Hill

gold2012
Apr. 11, 2011, 11:00 AM
I checked with EN, but nothing on Pine HIll....How did the weekend go? I hope that they are holding up okay...so hard for her. Phil was such a huge part of thier lives.

Lucyjane
Apr. 11, 2011, 02:20 PM
In typical fashion Ruth was a class act. How she ever held it together for such a beautiful and moving memorial is beyond me.

I had a great xc round, but had a hard time crossing the finish flags and seeing Phil's truck parked there. Hopefully someone directly involved will share details or write about it, because it was the perfect goodbye.

texang73
Apr. 11, 2011, 02:28 PM
It went very well (I volunteered at bit check & jump judge for P and T).

The memorial service was very nice, and Phil's Last Ride was a lovely, fitting tribute. :sadsmile:

gold2012
Apr. 11, 2011, 06:08 PM
Dr. M. Filled me in on details, wanted to post it, it was absolutely AMAZING what she told me, and brought tears to my eyes....but didn't know if they would want that.

I am glad that they found such a beautiful and wonderful way to pay respect.

SGray
Apr. 14, 2011, 03:52 PM
Dr. M. Filled me in on details, wanted to post it, it was absolutely AMAZING what she told me, and brought tears to my eyes..............
I am glad that they found such a beautiful and wonderful way to pay respect.

please do

texang73
Apr. 14, 2011, 04:30 PM
I'm hope Ruth won't mind me posting this part... For Phil's Last Ride, Danny (Warrington) looked impeccable in his XC gear on one of his gray horses. Ruth handed him the bag with Phil's ashes, and Danny then cantered from the startbox onto the XC course. And with the ashes falling delicately to the ground, trailing behind, he and his horse jumped beautifully around the whole Training Level XC course. When he was finished, he dismounted and hugged Ruth, giving her the helmet cover and now empty bag.

It was incredibly touching and a wonderful way to spread Phil's ashes across his beloved Pine Hill. :sadsmile:

leilatigress
Apr. 14, 2011, 04:49 PM
It was a fantastic tribute and a great weekend. I volunteered as a runner and it was my first time volunteering there. I'll definitely do it again, perfectly run show and all of the judges were nice. I have no idea how Ruth held it together either as I swear there wasn't a single dry eye in the place.

Oberon13
Apr. 14, 2011, 04:53 PM
I do not know these folks, but they sound like the kind of people that anyone would feel blessed to call friend. What a lovely tribute to what sounds like an incredible guy. I had tears in my eyes reading it.

Blessings on Ruth and her family...

leilatigress
Apr. 14, 2011, 05:03 PM
I know when Phil and Ruth started Pine Hill 30+ years ago he started with a property that was mostly wooded, overgrown, and not nearly the picturesque place it is now. I wish there was a better website that shows the transformation from a wooded mess to the spectacular place it is now. It was a labor of love for the two and mostly self performed. Phil was always there with a kind word and a boost for the little ones if needed. He worked hard on making Pine Hill the place to do cross country. I didn't know either of them well but have been to Pine Hill on occasion for different events.

SevenDogs
Apr. 14, 2011, 05:05 PM
What a lovely tribute!

I had been sitting inside with a mound of paperwork, including taxes, that needs attention and had all but convinced myself to skip a ride today. I didn't know Phil, but in his honor, I am closing my computer, putting on my riding clothes and heading out to the barn... counting my blessings along the way.

RacetrackReject
Apr. 14, 2011, 05:28 PM
I was looking at Jim Stoner's photos from the event and he has pictures up of people at the memorial and Danny riding around the XC. It looked to be a fairly large crowd that turned out for Phil and it looked like a perfect way to honor him.

Lucyjane
Apr. 14, 2011, 05:55 PM
TexanG, did you get any pictures of the memorial?

The birds floating overhead in the breeze, the sun starting to set, and the total stillness of the crowd during the last ride was indescribable. It's like everything, nature included, aligned to make it a perfect moment.

What I meant earlier about someone close to Ruth sharing the details wasn't meant to discourage anyone from talking about it...more that I hoped someone would write about it in detail, or for publication, because it was such an amazing tribute.

gold2012
Apr. 15, 2011, 08:10 AM
When I spoke with Dr. M, I mentioned that EN hadn't said a word, and so we thought maybe there had been a question of keeping it private.

As it was so beautiful, so poetic, and Phil and Ruth such a HUGE part of eventin in area5, that I thought it would be on EN. So, hence why I called her to ask about it.

It surely brought tears to my eyes. She described the setting sun, the absolutely still air, how it was one of the most beautiful and touching moments she had ever witnessed.

God Speed Phil.

MattMan
Apr. 15, 2011, 11:15 AM
It wasn't a helmet cam... unless that was some last minute decision. Danny had a saddle pad/silk and a helmet cover made in Phil's XC colors Navy/Gray and he pulled the helmet cover off and handed it to Ruth at the end of the ride. He had them made so Ruth could frame them, I think the pad had in memory of Phil Sawin with a quote.

It was a very beautiful end to a memorial.

texang73
Apr. 19, 2011, 04:04 PM
MattMan - didn't know that, I couldn't see very well so just assumed it was a helmet cam.

LucyJane - no I didn't take any pictures, but as someone stated Jim Stoner did.