PDA

View Full Version : Are you a BNR/BNH

Mukluk
Apr. 11, 2011, 12:37 AM
Just wondering who else would fit in this category. My horse and me would! :)
But thus far there is no such category so I suppose we will go as BNH? Or would we be better off in BNR??

Heliodoro
Apr. 11, 2011, 08:23 AM
That was/is me as we're moving up to NH/NR this year!

I looked at it this way: BNR you will be riding with mostly people on horses who have done BN and up before, so their horses will most likely show them how it's done. BNH you will most likely be competing against pro's on clients' horses/greenies. I usually tried to put BNH as first choice as I'm a more competitive person, so "beating" or scoring better than Pro Joe Shmoe is much more of a goal than out scoring an AA or YR who is working their hardest, however petty that might sound. I tend to took at all the division scores at the end and see where mine would fit in to give me some more feedback on how "well" I actually did.

Of course for my very first recognized HT I was put in OBN and I still took 4th!!

paintmare
Apr. 11, 2011, 08:45 AM
My trainer always had me ride in the Rider division. Even with a packer, a BN rider can not have the greatest rides :)

Sonoma City
Apr. 11, 2011, 08:55 AM
I think at BN, the Rider and Horse divisions are generally pretty even as far as finishing scores go. There are always some outliers though. Once you get up to Novice and Training, I think the rider divisions tend to have more jump/time penalties than the horse divisions do. So it's really a preference thing at that level. If you're a true BNR (as in, didn't compete at Prelim 5 years ago and enough time has passed for your to qualify), I would go with that so you don't have to compete against the pros...unless you want to like the above poster noted!

Right on Target
Apr. 11, 2011, 09:13 AM
I'm BBN-R and BBN-H and this year I'll be BNR and BNH. I looked at results in the Maryland area in my divisions to see which divisions have the lowest scores, and it seemed to me that there wasn't a hard and fast rule as sometimes the BNR divisions had lower scores and sometimes the BNH at unrecognized shows, but they are generally in the same ball park.

We finish on our dressage score normally and since our dressage isn't so hot I'm not going to be in the top 3 in any division regardless of who I'm competing against.

I would like to do a BNR/BNH division if I could. Or a "dressage impaired division". Maybe a combination of the two- let me know if they ever add that division!

olympicprincess
Apr. 11, 2011, 11:26 AM
Minus the few pros who will win regardless of what green animal they are on-- the BN divisions can be pretty even. It's hard to say whether BNH or BNR will have the lower score by the end of the event.

If you don't care, just put "BN", fill out you & you horse's experience, and let the organizer put you in the division that needs more entries.

Late
Apr. 11, 2011, 04:21 PM
LOL I definitely thought you meant "Big Name Rider" in the OP... I was thinking wow, what's the point of this post o.O

I get it now! haha. I haven't done a recognized event since 2006 but definitely would stick to the Horse or Open division.

Actually, pretty psyched to have a potential BNH/NH horse that should be ready to go recognized by mid summer! I miss eventing so much!

eventer_mi
Apr. 11, 2011, 05:00 PM
But it's hard to compare scores if you have two different dressage judges. One may be harder than the other, so they don't necessarily mean that one division is more competitive than the other.

I qualify for both (haven't been out of the BN ranks for at least two years), so I usually go Rider.