PDA

View Full Version : Price for tack cleaning at a HJ barn?

graciegrey
Apr. 10, 2011, 11:28 PM
I board at a 'A' H/J barn where everyone is in full training, but tack cleaning is not included. I may do some tack cleaning for other boaders, but wasn't sure how much is normal to charge. How much is the going rate for tack cleaning? How much is reasonable for a single-time (especially if it is filthy!!), or on a monthly basis, based on 2 or 3 times per week?

Thanks for your input!!

Pelham321
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:22 AM
^^ reported!

Monica67
Apr. 11, 2011, 08:51 AM
Why? Looking at the OP's posting history, it certainly doesn't appear to be a troll?

What is wrong with asking how much to charge for cleaning tack? Especially of folks are willing to pay for the service.

Sonoma City
Apr. 11, 2011, 08:57 AM
Why? Looking at the OP's posting history, it certainly doesn't appear to be a troll?

There was a spam posting which has since been removed :)

graciegrey
Apr. 11, 2011, 10:33 PM
Not sure what the troll thing was about...

so does anybody pay separate to have their tack cleaned, and if so- how much??

TIA!

Jaideux
Apr. 11, 2011, 11:18 PM
I've never paid for it, but this is what I would be comfortable paying:

Roughly $20/hr for the job, with a little extra on top for supplies (but, of course, it makes more business sense to charge by the task in this situation, I think, so you figure out how long it will take you to clean the tack, and convert that into the same proportion of money). So, if you can clean a bridle in 1/4th of an hour, you'd charge $5 for the labor.

I'd charge less for a weekly cleaning than I would for the once a month or once every now and again service, unless you have a piece of tack that is impossibly grody every single week.

If you can do a saddle and a bridle in an hour, I'd charge $10 for each, plus a little more on top for supplies.

But, I'm also someone who takes decent enough care of my tack and has always done my own average job cleaning it. Others can probably give you a better idea of how this works :)

bluebuckets
Apr. 11, 2011, 11:31 PM
I clean & restore tack for other people at my barn but I always do it in return for services. A lesson, borrowing some tack for a month or two until I can buy my own, maybe a ride on my horse.

Quickly cleaning two well-cared for saddles for someone got me a professional mane pull.

Restoring the trainer's Antares got me a month's use out of it while I waited to get my own saddle. (Restoration is way more intense than just cleaning... make sure people know the difference. One is like, 30-45 minutes worth of work, the other is a solid 2 hours several weeks in a row.)

That probably doesn't help at all, haha. But I will say that pricing definitely depends on your level of expertise. If you just clean tack, like, that's it, I wouldn't charge more than $15 for a regular saddle, $10 would probably be better. But if you have some experience under your belt with different leather disasters, maybe have a reputation for always having fabulous looking tack, have done some research on different products and techniques, you might squeak by with $20 for a saddle.

Hope this works out for you!