PDA

View Full Version : Injured Rider at Spring Bay

event1
Apr. 11, 2011, 12:08 AM
At the end of one of the training divisions today, a young riders horse reared up and flipped right over on her....just as she was about to enter the start box. Thankfully it did not land directly on top of her but her left leg did get caught under the horse--:eek: We were standing about 5 feet from her and after grabbing the horse it looked like the poor girl really hurt her leg...the horse was fine. Does anybody know how she is doing...? My friends and I just felt horrible for her and hope that she made out OK...Yikes!

PuraVidaEventing
Apr. 11, 2011, 12:34 AM
I heard she broke her leg but is doing alright.

baxtersmom
Apr. 11, 2011, 07:40 AM
Yes, she is a girl from our barn, broken leg in two places but going to be okay. Thank you for checking in about her - I will let her and her family know people were concerned!

Gryhrs
Apr. 11, 2011, 08:45 AM
Oh no!!! I am so sorry for her. Glad to hear it can be mended.

deltawave
Apr. 11, 2011, 10:48 AM
Poor kid--that is the WORST minute of a show for me, heading to the start box. My nerves are wrecked. Hope she bounces back and all is well in no time. :)

monstrpony
Apr. 11, 2011, 11:27 AM
*shudder* Jingles for a good recovery, physically and mentally. That has to be devastating, and such a bad moment.

baxtersmom
Apr. 11, 2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the well-wishes guys, I will definitely pass them on. Kid's a tough one, I'm sure she'll do great! I've been on the phone with her mom about surgery and PT (been there, done that) so she'll be on the mend soon. Just going to make walking around at Rolex a bit challenging for her!

Now we just need to figure out what happened - horse can be frisky and bold but never stupid or dangerous, so we're all scratching our heads a bit.

Somermist
Apr. 11, 2011, 11:42 AM
Prayers and jingles for a quick recovery.

event1
Apr. 11, 2011, 12:10 PM
Oh...great to hear that she was not hurt worse! I could tell he leg was broken by the way it was turned in her boot when I ran up to her...but of course-you are always hoping for the best! Until I saw her leg...it just seemed like it scared her half to death (can't say that I blame her!) but she did handle it pretty well considering her injury. Don't know what caused her horse to go up but he was straight up! It looked to me like she froze (again can't blame her) and he just lost his balance and fell over. It did not look deliberate or mean...and the poor horse just stood there...not sure what had just happened. Hopefully he scared himself and will never do it again...he looked like a kind horse. Hope she recovers quickly!

baxtersmom
Apr. 11, 2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the info event1, good to hear from someone else that it didn't seem like he was trying to be an a$$ - he's generally a good boy, even packs her little sister around 4H fair every summer. It sounds just like him to stand there like, "Whujushappen'd?!?"

Thank you for helping out. I'm sure her poor mother is very grateful for everyone's assistance (I think she was back at the barn wrangling our trainer's two toddlers). :)