PDA

View Full Version : Removing the evidence!

Aelfleah Farm
Apr. 10, 2011, 10:23 PM
So the pony and her kiddo did their first LD today. Finished in great form... The kiddo want to fit more into her busy show schedule. The pony doesn't really care one way or the other!

However... The Princess Pony has to go back to her "real" job as a show jumper next weekend. How the heck do I get the red grease stick off of her white hinny in the next 6 days? I've already given her one bath with Orvus (the strongest soap I could find in the tack room), a liniment rinse and spent an hour with a curry, and it's still plenty readable from a long way off...

I don't think a big (now pinkish red) "293J" on her otherwise immaculately groomed posterior will impress anyone on Sunday!

SonnysMom
Apr. 11, 2011, 10:04 AM
To remove grease paint makeup from Halloween you can use cold cream or make-up remover or vegatable oil. Then use a shampoo.

I seem to remember a saying of "Like dissolves like. Since the grease paint is oily then an oil should remove it.

I have also heard of people using peanut butter to remove some weird things from kids hair.

Catie79
Apr. 11, 2011, 11:40 AM
Go with the vegetable oil. We've used it to remove pine pitch when the horses get that worked into their hair. You'll need to sit and work it in with your fingers, then give the pony a good shampoo afterword.

Or tell all the other jumpers you're starting a new trend. :)

Lieselotte
Apr. 11, 2011, 12:00 PM
Or tell all the other jumpers you're starting a new trend.

That's right! Endurance riders wear their start numbers proudly! ;)

I usually let it dry out completely and then curry it off. But my mare is a dark bay and the red doesn't stain as it would in a white coat. So you're right, you may need to remove it right away. And I do believe oil or makeup remover work best.

I don't know if other endurance riders have noticed a trend towards ride management deciding not to put on grease paint numbers anymore? Out of seven rides I did last season, four were sans number. We just called them out whenever necessary and that was that.

BigHorseLittleHorse
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:13 PM
I usually let it dry out completely and then curry it off. But my mare is a dark bay and the red doesn't stain as it would in a white coat. So you're right, you may need to remove it right away. And I do believe oil or makeup remover work best.

My horse is as white as they come, and his number usually comes off after 3-4 days. All I use is a rubber curry, and I just go over it a few times each time I groom him.

Aelfleah Farm
Apr. 11, 2011, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!

I found some "Goop" in the garage and smeared it on, let it sit for about a minutes and the washed off with soap and water. No more number! Not even a faint stain! And the old slightly grungy brush I used to scrub the Goop off is also now clean as a whistle.

So the Princess Pony won't be embarrassed by the evidence of her foray into the gritty world of endurance. After all, while she stays outdoors 24x7 at home and has no problem rolling in the clay to deter bugs, when away from home Her Highness wants her fan, her comfy stall, and 24x7 room service and housekeeping.