PDA

View Full Version : Tack stolen at Feather Creek

Toadie's mom
Apr. 10, 2011, 09:50 PM
I did a search and didn't see a previous thread.

I'm not sure of the exact count, but at least 4 saddles, 1 pr. tall boots, at least one bridle and some other stuff.

2 Prestige saddles. 1 jumping, 1 dressage. 1 Devoucoux jumping saddle and a Bates saddle. I don't know the styles, or model names of these. The Prestige saddles belonged to Kristina Aaron.

I just wanted to get the word out. Along with this piece of bad news, I got into a confrontation at a schooling day Sat. after observing blatant abuse. Yep, the "good ole days" are definitely over:mad:

Aelfleah Farm
Apr. 10, 2011, 11:38 PM
Heard about the saddle thefts when I got there for s/j on Sunday, but I didn't know other tack was involved too. I guess that's the only good thing about having not-so expensive gear... No one tries to steal it.

I wonder if this is a phenom of having events that are pretty much in the city like Feather Creek? More foot traffic, and so more thefts? Sad sign of the times, I guess.

Hope the thief gets caught!

Toadie's mom
Apr. 11, 2011, 12:30 AM
Tamara, yes John Staples is of the opinion that it was someone "off the street", but another's opinion is that it was a fellow competitor:mad:

Since I've had a trailer with a dressing room I've never gotten a tack stall, but even when I used to get one I never padlocked it. Sad times.

MeghanDACVA
Apr. 11, 2011, 04:39 PM
Heard about the saddle thefts when I got there for s/j on Sunday, but I didn't know other tack was involved too. I guess that's the only good thing about having not-so expensive gear... No one tries to steal it.

I wonder if this is a phenom of having events that are pretty much in the city like Feather Creek? More foot traffic, and so more thefts? Sad sign of the times, I guess.

Hope the thief gets caught!

Feather Creek isn't exactly "in the city". Not alot of foot traffic that far out.
And it happened at night so someone DROVE in.

Wish all shows could afford to have on grounds security but I know that isn't possible.

Arelle
Apr. 11, 2011, 10:32 PM
I felt so sad when I read about that on Kristina's facebook - I grew up with (and used to date ;)) her brother, and while I ride the hunters, I do always adore reading her updates and seeing the latest photos.

I know she was really shaken and upset. I'm not familiar with the eventing world, but it's a sad state of affairs if it is one of "our" own. I know I always lock up at our shows; I wish I didn't have to, but have seen far too many cases of things walking away.

Latest news was that insurance was going to cover her losses, so hopefully the other riders had protection too - it doesn't make it okay or even close to "right" - but at least they aren't completely up a creek.

The outpouring of support and offers to lend equipment to those that had stolen items was amazing on Facebook -- it almost makes me want to switch over and try eventing.. then I remember the jumps don't always break away. :lol:

I'll be watching for a resolution, but without knowing the other parties it may be hard to follow. Keep us updated, OP!

Toadie's mom
Apr. 12, 2011, 10:09 PM
I felt so sad when I read about that on Kristina's facebook - I grew up with (and used to date ;)) her brother, and while I ride the hunters, I do always adore reading her updates and seeing the latest photos.

I know she was really shaken and upset. I'm not familiar with the eventing world, but it's a sad state of affairs if it is one of "our" own. I know I always lock up at our shows; I wish I didn't have to, but have seen far too many cases of things walking away.

Latest news was that insurance was going to cover her losses, so hopefully the other riders had protection too - it doesn't make it okay or even close to "right" - but at least they aren't completely up a creek.

The outpouring of support and offers to lend equipment to those that had stolen items was amazing on Facebook -- it almost makes me want to switch over and try eventing.. then I remember the jumps don't always break away. :lol:

I'll be watching for a resolution, but without knowing the other parties it may be hard to follow. Keep us updated, OP!
I was told Kristina's dad said they had insurance, but of course there's always a deductible and depreciation. Better than nothing, but just a crappy state of affairs to begin with!

I can't remember the other owner's names, but will find out.

Even though Kristina rides with Mary Darcy, I believe Stuart Black loaned her his jumping saddle because it was the same, or very similar, as hers:)

SonnysMom
Apr. 13, 2011, 10:41 AM
I was told Kristina's dad said they had insurance, but of course there's always a deductible and depreciation. Better than nothing, but just a crappy state of affairs to begin with!

My saddles are covered under my homeowner. I would have to pay the deductible but I do have replacement value under my policy. Hopefully they have a low deductible and replacement value.

That is cool that she got loaned a saddle.
I can't imagine how upsetting to find all her saddles gone. That would have really messed with my head and show nerves.

eventerdiva
Apr. 13, 2011, 10:53 AM
I boarded out there when I was in college (before it was Feather Creek...eek! :eek:), and I wouldn't say it's "in the city". It's a good 15 minutes into Norman, and there's hardly any traffic out there that doesn't "belong"...if that makes sense? Although now that Tecumseh Rd. goes all the way through, maybe things have changed.

At any rate, while I'm sad :no: to hear about that in a town I consider home, I'm so so happy to see Feather Creek succeeding. Such a beautiful piece of property.

MeghanDACVA
Apr. 13, 2011, 01:06 PM
This is the thing I love about eventing. We WILL step in and help people. The gal that lost her boots also lost her spurs. She found a pair of boots to borrow but needed spurs. Several of us, including me, offered her spurs to choose from to borrow.

And yes, Stuart loaned a saddle to Kristinia to use. Others offered too but his saddle and hers are/were the same.

And he got new saddles ordered for her and got a rush put on them. Should be here this week. In time for Holly Hill next weekend.

I did one recognized dressage show some years ago. I knew alot of the people there, and even stable near them. Talk about different from eventing. You would have thought that either they never met me or that I was some major threat to them (NOT!). And warm up was a new experience--don't invade somebody else's space!! And claim yours with your life!

Never done a recognized H/J show. And not so sure I would want to!