PDA

View Full Version : Best farm vehicle/ATV?

heavensdew
Apr. 10, 2011, 03:37 PM
We are purchasing a 10 acre horse farm that is mostly flat pastures and some lightly wooded areas. We will need to haul hay to the pastures, drag an arena and the pastures, push snow off the driveway and generally get around the farm.
What type of vehicle do you use? I would love to get something that is a "jack of all trades" rather than a big tractor and something else.

carolprudm
Apr. 10, 2011, 03:52 PM
The East Coast covers a wide climate area. How much snow are you talking about?

Our 26 hp Kuybota would push a moderate snow load but we used our 50 hp in last years blizzards

heavensdew
Apr. 10, 2011, 04:01 PM
True, we are in New Jersey and most of my life the winters have been not so bad but the last few years....:eek:. so i guess I would say moderate snow.

Halt At X
Apr. 10, 2011, 08:05 PM
You could get a UTV. They have a dump bed, 4x4 and you can get all sorts of fun attachments including arena drags, plows, waterers etc.

Makers include Polaris, Honda, Yamaha. They can get pricey though, probably similar in price to a small tractor...... ATV's can do the same jobs but you would have to tow a cart behind it instead of having the dump bed.

camohn
Apr. 11, 2011, 12:41 AM
we had and ATV and didn't like it/didn't carry stuff like fence supplies and tools very well. Sold that and got a golf cart with a dump bed. That works great. Now snow removal is one thing that will not do. If you don't have a tractor (we do...that does the snow removal) then really a small tractor with a bucket is your best bet. Buckets are very handy things.

steelbak
Apr. 11, 2011, 06:55 AM
I use an ATV with a trailer that is capable of loading up the ATV onto and going off to where-ever, and can be pulled with that ATV. I love it around the farm.

Mine is a Yamaha Grizzly and it is very good, although Honda is probably a more reliable manufacturer. If you go ATV, go big and get a 4x4 and it'll do about anything you want.

carolprudm
Apr. 11, 2011, 08:23 AM
we had and ATV and didn't like it/didn't carry stuff like fence supplies and tools very well. Sold that and got a golf cart with a dump bed. That works great. Now snow removal is one thing that will not do. If you don't have a tractor (we do...that does the snow removal) then really a small tractor with a bucket is your best bet. Buckets are very handy things.
Yup, my golf cart gets the most use of any of the work vehicles around my farm. I use mine to haul hay, feed and other stuff and pull the manure spreader

KristiKGC
Apr. 11, 2011, 10:05 AM
Our Polaris Ranger is by far the most used and best purchase on the farm (and we do have a small tractor as well). We've got 12 acres and the Ranger does it all. DH works for a powersports dealer so he knows all about the various ATVs/UTVs. While we don't get snow down here, they do make a plow attachment and I have no doubt that the Ranger would have no problem clearing snow. Everything else you wanted it to do are things I use mine for on a regular basis. They aren't cheap, but IMO, they're worth every penny.

GoForAGallop
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:02 PM
While we don't get snow down here, they do make a plow attachment and I have no doubt that the Ranger would have no problem clearing snow.

The first part of your sentence explains why you think the second part is true. :lol: Rangers are super cool, but they are not the vehicle that I would recommend for snow removal. Not when snow removal is "out with the 80HP tractor with blade and bucket for 5 hours and you're STILL not done."

OP, here's what I would recommend: some sort of small truck (Dodge Dakota/Toyota Tacoma, the "toy" trucks) or Jeep. I do essentially all of my farm chores with my Jeep, but you would have the advantage of a bed with the trucks. Put some mud tires on them and you can go essentially anywhere and do anything; haul dump trailers, stack 30 bales of hay in the bed, carry all sorts of nonsense in the bed, pull your drag, and put a plow on the front to plow.

At least on my local craigslist, you could get something to do the job for about $2000, plow included. The only problem I foresee with the truck is based on the size of your arena....you may not be able to drag it as easily as you would with, say, an ATV, just because of size. And you don't have to register or insure it unless you plan to use it as more than a farm vehicle. (Which is an extra bonus...can't chug along the roads in your ATV to get hay from the farmer down the road. :lol:)

That's just my suggestion and what I've seen work at the various farms that I've been to, in addition to my own.

KristiKGC
Apr. 11, 2011, 02:06 PM
The first part of your sentence explains why you think the second part is true. :lol: Rangers are super cool, but they are not the vehicle that I would recommend for snow removal. Not when snow removal is "out with the 80HP tractor with blade and bucket for 5 hours and you're STILL not done."

I'm from CT, and the Ranger would have no problem handling a "typical" winter there (mind you, I'm talking about the Ranger 800, smaller models probably wouldn't be able to handle it). It might have some trouble with this past winter and it wouldn't be my first choice for snow removal, but as an overall farm vehicle, its hard to beat.

Granted, I have a bad back, so I could never use a pickup for regular farm work, but that might be an option for some people. I need the convenience of having a dump bed without hooking up a seperate trailer all the time.