PDA

View Full Version : Hotels around Lexington, VA?

OneWish
Apr. 10, 2011, 01:13 PM
Where do you guys recommend staying when you go to the VA HTs? How is the Best Western? Its really close to the horse center so the location is ideal, but how is the quality of the rooms? Any other recommendations? This is my first time out that way!

Thank you!

Lori T
Apr. 10, 2011, 01:27 PM
http://www.sheridanliveryinn.com/
This is my favorite place to stay. No pool, but we were usually too exhausted to swim anyhow, and figured if we absolutely needed to swim, we could crash one of our friends staying at a hotel that did have a pool!

scubed
Apr. 10, 2011, 01:38 PM
We have always stayed at the Best Western. It is quite nice, but it is typically hard to get a room.

The Hampton Inn is downtown and quite nice and the Holiday Inn and Comfort Inn both decent, with the Comfort Inn closer to the Horse Park

whicker
Apr. 10, 2011, 02:00 PM
There are many hotels right by the horse center. One is even across the street. There are also B&B's near it, too.

I was just down there to watch the national dog agility trials. I went with another cother, so of course, we had to check out the cross country course. It is VERY steep and long hilly, with thick grass turf. Your horse has to be quite fit. If you can practice on some major hills or sides of small mountains, it will be worth the effort.

The water is man-made and looks to be filled for the occasion. Expect it to be gray and not be able to see the bottom.
The jumps that were out on the course were all variations of natural big log materials. a few of the natural rails were thin, and those had cedar tree brush stacked in them.

Many of the jumps were sited on the sides of hills, so be sure to practice jumping up or down. I didn't see any helsinki jumps. Have those gone out of fashion?

The ground lines on the coffins and trakheners were quite visible.

They had the woodland trails roped off, so I didn't explore those. They had portable jumps stacked over in a storage area. All looked natural.

Have fun!

gully's pilot
Apr. 10, 2011, 05:40 PM
Last year I spent 14 total days in hotel rooms in Lexington VA (split into several visits). I recommend the Sleep Inn. It's right across from the Best Western, thus very close, but has some nice advantages, namely, a free breakfast (BW only has breakfast you pay for, and it's very slow, not ideal for horse showing--though I will also say there's a Waffle House next door), a pool (I usually travel with my young daughter), and microwaves and refrigerators in all the rooms ( a big bonus if you're there for a week). Plus the Sleep Inn rooms are clean and kept up well given the traffic they get. I quite prefer it over the BW. There are many other places, but that's my choice for cheap and reliable..

technopony
Apr. 10, 2011, 06:27 PM
I second the Sleep Inn - stayed there last year and it was nice. I've stayed in a number of the hotels around there - BW, Wingate... the only one I would say stay away from is the Howard Johnson. Rooms are gross, and AC wasn't working the time I was there... not fun.

horsetales
Apr. 10, 2011, 06:52 PM
We stayed at the BW in fall and it was nice and had free breakfast. It was nice being close with good quality. Previous year stayed at the Comfort Inn and it was OK and clean

faybe
Apr. 10, 2011, 07:00 PM
I did my undergrad in Lexington and my parents always stayed at the Hampton Inn or the Country Inn and Suites, both were very nice. Horse show buddies all said good things about the Sleep Inn too. I also have to recommend my very favorite place (although probably better for a weekend getaway where you'd actually get to enjoy it, rather than a place to crash for the weekend):

http://www.barefarmcabin.com/

Whoever said the course is hilly is right- make sure your horse has some wind :). It's a fantastic show though, Brian and Penny are some of my favorite people and they do an incredible job of putting together a top-notch event.

gully's pilot
Apr. 10, 2011, 09:16 PM
oh, let me agree, stay away from the Howard Johnson's. It's awful. They give cheap rooms to the pony club events and pony clubbers won't take them anymore.

OneWish
Apr. 11, 2011, 12:21 AM
Thank you all for your input!!

pointtaker86
Apr. 11, 2011, 05:38 AM
I wouldn't recommend the BW by any means. We stayed there for the TB celebration show and I will never set foot in that hotel again. The front desk staff was incredibly rude when we checked in. The room was musty, dark and dreary. The breakfast was horrible, and I could go on! I'll be choosing a different one for June!

avezan
Apr. 11, 2011, 07:22 AM
I stay in Lexington a lot and I always stay at the Economy Inn. Its right at the intersection of 64 and 11 (about 5 min from the Horse center). the rooms are simple. They do have microwaves and microfridges. no pool. The bed is firm (which I desperately need!). The staff is wonderful! they are so accommodating and nice. There is free breakfast in the morning, but its just a cold breakfast. The rates are very reasonable. They are on speed dial on my cell phone. :)