PDA

View Full Version : Question for those with Smartpak Wellfleet bridles

yellowbritches
Apr. 10, 2011, 12:21 PM
I am considering buying one of these bridles for one of my horses (the figure eight), but I am worried about the color (I believe they call it "Hazelnut"). In the catalog, the color is very red/orange and it would look horrendous on my practically black horse. I prefer tack that is dark brown. Do these bridles oil to a darker shade, or are do they keep that color?

Also, how do the sizes run? He's very much a cob.

ktm2007
Apr. 10, 2011, 02:35 PM
I recently bought the wide caveson Wellfleet and it oiled up to a really dark brown with absolutely no red in it at all (almost a little too dark for the horse I am using it on) Leather is fantastic! I bought the martingale and matching girth, and they all oiled up to the same dark brown color. (I used olive oil) I have had no issues with the size either.

justblu
Apr. 10, 2011, 03:50 PM
Mine also oiled up to a very nice dark brown rather quickly. I ordered a cob size for my 15 hand mare with a delicate head and it is almost too big for her. The cheeks are ok, but the throatlatch and noseband are on the last hole.

Rio Blanco
Apr. 10, 2011, 09:01 PM
This is what mine looked like after oiling... it was about a month old in this pic. I love it, but unless your horse has a jug head or WB head, the figure 8 might be a bit large. My mare has a decent sized WB head but a dainty TB nose and the full size figure 8 just barely fits her.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd400/surprize89/DSC_0288.jpg

pony4me
Apr. 10, 2011, 09:54 PM
I oiled mine with heated up olive oil and it turned out almost black. Looks stunning on my gray horse. We get tons of complements on it.

neigh.neigh
Apr. 10, 2011, 10:00 PM
I love the bridle, I was very impressed with the quality and color. I think it does run large, the figure 8 and throat latch are on almost the last hole on my hanoverians head. Its truly a beautiful bridle at an amazing price. I <3 smartpak!

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2345853070104745619NnEIpb