PDA

View Full Version : Teeth grinding

Oskar
Apr. 10, 2011, 01:34 AM
I rescued a TB last fall and am now starting to ride him. He is not off the track, but he came from a very bad situation. He starts grinding his teeth as soon as I sit in the saddle. I have had his teeth done and am taking him for some chiro/acupuncture work this week. I am riding him in a Frenchlink snaffle and regular noseband and am going to try him in a rubber snaffle to see if he prefers that. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to help him get over the grinding.
I should mention that I have lots of experience with OTTB's, I just haven't ever had a horse that grinds his teeth/bit like this.

HMF
Apr. 10, 2011, 02:02 AM
I had a young Irish Sport Horse that would grind. We tried everything, ulcers, teeth, change in food, etc... Having him adjusted did the trick, I was shocked and thrilled at the same time. I think saddle fit was also contributing, probably the reason he needed an adjustment. Given my experience and that fact that this comes up when you get on I would rule out adjustments before changing anything else. If that doesn't work I would check into ulcers next if you haven't already.

Good luck, I hope you are able to get to the bottom of the issue!!

Oskar
Apr. 10, 2011, 02:12 AM
Thanks, I am hoping an adjustment will do the trick. He does grind a little bit while being lunged, but much worse when I get on him; long rein, short rein, it doesn't seem to matter. Some of it is anxiety as he has had more than a few bad riders on his back, but I do think there is an underlying problem!

gold2012
Apr. 10, 2011, 10:02 AM
We have this absolutely GORGEOUS 5 y.o. who did the same thing when we first got him....we did a couple things, after all the vet stuff that didn't help.

1. Don't tighten anything about his nose...not a drop, not the noseband, just leave a few fingers...then slowly tighten over time. I think he felt confined and was having issues with that.

2. We did a LOT of long/low with him....just ignoring it. As we progressed in his training, we noticed he did it less and less. He is huge, 16.3 and still growing, so we have gone very slow, 3 months on, and then rest of year off...including this year, his 5th. We still get a bit of grinding the first few days back, but it goes away quick.

3. Also, we dipped the bit in some sugar water, heavy syrupy kind, as we first started...he was so busy enjoying the licky yummies...it would keep him from doing it.

Good luck.

EquiTerra
Apr. 10, 2011, 11:41 PM
I would definitely scope and look into ulcer treatment! Sounds a lot like ulcers or at the least, gastritis, to me. Good luck!