PDA

View Full Version : Fun times at Equine Affaire Ohio today (Saturday).

tidy rabbit
Apr. 9, 2011, 10:17 PM
What an adventure!

Super experience for the horses and very entertaining for people and horse watching!!!

Here's my 5 y.o. doing an exercise. Was great to get the boys into a coliseum environment as a training exercise!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq-rhqwr_TU

I saw COTH's nlk and said hi but she didn't hear/see me! Boo!

SillyHorse
Apr. 10, 2011, 08:21 AM
I intended to go this year, but we're having a clinic this weekend with a terrific clinician, so I opted to stay home and ride.

Dodger looks wonderful. Who were you riding with?

tidy rabbit
Apr. 10, 2011, 08:43 AM
It was my first time going to Equine Affaire and it was a one of a kind experience for sure!

Neal Shapiro did the jumper clinics this year. I rode in 2 different clinics and it was super exposure for the horses.

I really enjoyed it.

ETA, and special thanks to Jeneene who helped me with Aero in the big scary ring. :) I forget you're COTH name though! But thank you for buddying up with us.

Hidden Oak
Apr. 10, 2011, 03:39 PM
Saw some of the PM clinic yesterday. Your horse was HUGE and is very lovely. (this coming from my sub 5' self)

nlk
Apr. 10, 2011, 04:16 PM
Oh no!! I looked all weekend for you but had my hands full with my husband and kid....and a very nervous horse!!!

I'm glad you had a great time! I know I learned a lot and it was a great experience for my boy!!

Did you happen to catch our crash through the jump?:lol:

tidy rabbit
Apr. 10, 2011, 05:19 PM
Hidden Oak, I should have made up "trading cards" for Aero and handed them out. So many people asked about him, his breeding, how big, how big does he jump, etc etc. People posed for pictures with him. He completely loved every minute of it.

Dodger, in the video, went in the morning and he was just great!

I was very happy with both the horses.

nlk, I was so jealous, I wished I'd applied for that clinic instead of the 5pm. It looked like a lot of fun. It would have been great for Aero.

And yes, I did see your crash, glad it wasn't bad. :)

TrakeGirl
Apr. 11, 2011, 10:59 AM
How did you like Neil as a clinician?

tidy rabbit
Apr. 11, 2011, 11:09 AM
I liked Neal. I thought he was very kind to the riders. I liked that he had an assistant with him to help riders who may have needed some individualized attention.

I thought he did a great job for the diversity between the different levels of horses and riders he had to work with.

fordtraktor
Apr. 11, 2011, 11:56 AM
Dodger looks fabulous, TR, and so do you as usual!

nlk
Apr. 11, 2011, 12:31 PM
That clinic was a lot of fun.
Except that long spot I saw and my horse didn't! Despite his jittery behavior he really stepped up and saved my butt! :lol:

We also did the "Diagnose and Fix common jumping Problems" the day before. I learned a lot from there too. Not necessarily something to work with my students on but something to use for my self.

He was very mild mannered, explained things well and did great working with each individual rider.

I have to agree that him having assistants was nice but I have to say, I had the privilege of talking with his wife....she is way more intense then he is! He was a little more willing to allow slow improvement where as she wanted it NOW! The difference in their personalities was amazing.

I learned a lot from both of them. As I think my student who also rode did as well.

Altogether it was a fun and enlightening experience.

As a note about Equine Affaire in general....I was amazed at how unorganized the back was. Trying to find the gate to go in, finding the office "In the middle of the green wall" (which they fail to mention was INSIDE the building) the overall "cleanliness" of where are horses were kept was not what I was expecting. I also was very apprehensive about jumping in the Coliseum after our schooling ride Friday AM. The footing was hard and VERY slick. Luckily that dried up and it was fine by the time we rode.

I also forgot how willing "western" ( I showed pleasure for 5 years) people are to offer "tips" and " advice" such as " Really jab him with your left spur and left that left rein" I got this for my TB cross whom was having a little bit of panic every time someone new was standing in the in-gate Fri AM. This is a horse who has been off property 6 times in 5 years and who at that moment didn't want to keep all his feet on the ground.....Yes lets see what happens when I really jab that left spur in....;)

All in all it was a fun few days. My son LOVED the huge horses, and the horses with the knights on them....I am sorry I missed your greetings, I would have really loved to have met you!

tidy rabbit
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:10 PM
There was a photographer taking pictures of Dodger on Saturday. I keep checking his flicker account waiting for him to upload the pictures. I'm excited to see them.

Probably the best part of the whole thing on Saturday was this....

I went to the restroom, and the girls were going to bring Aero up and meet me there. I was in the corridor looking all the way down to the end of the stabling area, where the doors were open and the sunlight was coming in, and there were throngs of people. All of a sudden, he came around the corner. It was a moment that made my heart sing. I will hopefully remember that moment all of my life. The girls leading him are about 5'2 ish, and blended into the crowd, but Aero, he walked quietly through the sea of people, towering over them in his giganticness. He looked so graceful and huge and beautiful back lit by the sun. He is my heart, that horse.

And then after the clinic people posed with him for pictures and he loved every second of it. He cracks me up, he *knows*.

HappyHorselover
Apr. 11, 2011, 05:10 PM
I went to the restroom, and the girls were going to bring Aero up and meet me there. I was in the corridor looking all the way down to the end of the stabling area, where the doors were open and the sunlight was coming in, and there were throngs of people. All of a sudden, he came around the corner. It was a moment that made my heart sing. I will hopefully remember that moment all of my life. The girls leading him are about 5'2 ish, and blended into the crowd, but Aero, he walked quietly through the sea of people, towering over them in his giganticness. He looked so graceful and huge and beautiful back lit by the sun. He is my heart, that horse.

And then after the clinic people posed with him for pictures and he loved every second of it. He cracks me up, he *knows*.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this! Aero is such a special horse and I am not surprised he had a following!