PDA

View Full Version : Living in NC

Apr. 9, 2011, 08:33 PM
Okay, so this is just pretty random but ive been recently daydreaming about moving to the NC. Im tired of the harsh and long winter and springs, love the fall, can handle the summers of Pa, but enough!! NC seems to be the place to be and wanting to know the best areas
TIA

pegasusmom
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:15 PM
Southern Pines. . .

besum1
Apr. 10, 2011, 12:32 AM
Southern Pines is to hot for me- i really like the Tryon area. Basically if you want a horse community you got to Southern Pines or Tryon. There are pockets of horses in Raleigh, Winston Salem, and Charlotte (Raleigh has the vet school- but both Tryon and SP have great vets that do surgeries and things)

Pretty much the 2 main factors to look at in deciding location is weather and terrain. Cooler weather and hillier terrain- go West (Tryon)- Hotter flat sand country, go East (SP) and Charlotte and Raleigh are in between but Charlotte's closer to Tryon and Raleigh to SP. I'm not as familiar with the Mocksville horse community so can't help you much there.

Charlotte really does have one of the best location to event venues b/c it's in the middle bordering South Carolina (aka CHEAP(er) GAS!- Well not as cheap as Landrum which is the SC side of Tryon) 2.5ish hrs to SP, 1.5ish to Tryon, easy drop down into SC for Area III events. Though if you want to stay with Area II- go North towards Raleigh b/c that puts you close to VA, Maryland, etc.

As for instructors- well that's a slippery slope to talk about b.c everyone has their opinion on who is great and who sucks- and these opinions always seem to be in conflict- so do some research for yourself on that subject.

hope this helps!

wildlifer
Apr. 10, 2011, 11:40 AM
I live up north of Raleigh, but if I could pick anywhere, I'd definitely pick Southern Pines. Access to Moss Foundation and CHP so easily, sigh... EVERYWHERE is hot in the Carolina summers (I spend all of them working outside from the northern to the southern border) so I don't notice a difference on that one. Plus my jumping trainer is down there, plus it's closer to the Uwharrie Mtns, where I love to ride.

All in all, I love where I am and SoPi is only about 1 hour 40 mins away, but given a trust fund, I'd move, LOL.

Lord Helpus
Apr. 10, 2011, 12:51 PM
Nooooooooo. Don't move to SP. The weather is horrible, the footing is rocky and there is absolutely nowhere to ride and no one to ride with.

And in the winter when the hounds go out, they take over the 4000 acres of the Foundation for 3 mornings a week! Now, I ask you -- is that fair? :lol:

And it takes 20 minutes to get to Carolina Horse Park, for God's sake! Back and forth, back and forth. It gets dizzying.

I have never been to Tryon, but it sounds like a fine place to live. :D :D :D

HCF
Apr. 10, 2011, 03:32 PM
I second (third, fourth?) Southern Pines. LOVE it here. :)

eventr4life
Apr. 10, 2011, 09:07 PM
In southern pines there are probably over 25 or 30 nice farms - that people own. And there are quite a few for sale right now that are SUPER nice! I love southern pines, personally the footing is excellent because its all sand!

besum1
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:01 AM
Since most people are telling you things about SP I'm going to tell you fabulous things about tryon so you can hear about both places and weigh your options :)

Tryon- GORGEOUS views of the mountains- without mountain winters- yes you do get snow and ice- but only for 1-3 days max (usually) but there are those freak storms that happen once every couple of years- or like this year and last year the entire country is covered so you wouldn't of been safe from it unless you were in S. Fla.
So basically do you want to wake up in the morning, look out your window, and see your horses grazing with stunning mountain views in the background- or pine trees? Boarding options are also available if you are interested in that!

FETA/CETA trail systems- so many farms that are linked to these trail systems- even small personal 2 horse farms- i don't know the exact acreage of the trail systems- but you can get on your horse in your backyard and ride for days, even weeks and months! I've heard that Rutherford Country is planning on starting a trail system throughout the county

Close to tons of trail riding in the mountains (trust me it's cooler in the mountains during the summer- still hot, but cooler)- Dupont (where Last of the Mohicans was filmed) is only about an hour away with the horse trailer

FENCE is the big show grounds- there is also cute little Harmon Fields- most shows happen at one of these two places but a new facility is being built called Green Creek Equestrian- not sure when it's going to start hosting shows. There is a new XC schooling facility that was built for Michael Pollard? I think?(I'm not sure but some big time eventer) He didn't come up or stay- I don't really know the story- but either way it is called Long Shadows and has xc jumps up to Prelim- at least- haven't gone schooling there but have seen it and it's a nice facility.

The horse community is great!!! There is a weekly newsletter that goes out called "This Week in Tryon Horse Country" and in it it has all the events coming up along with fun tidbits about the people in the area and fun horse news! Check out http://www.tryonhorsecountry.org/index.html

SP probably has more upper level professionals per capita, but Tryon has some really top notch riders/trainers that if you were wanting to go Advanced could get you there. There are also lower level instructors that will help you get safely around novice/training if that is where you are wanting to ride- either way you are covered!

This post really could go on for days about how awesome the Tryon area is and all that it has to offer. SO i'm going to end here- basically you need to visit NC and decide from there where to go! :)