PDA

View Full Version : Opinons on Bruno Delgrange/ CWD saddles

LPiper
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:30 PM
What type of horses are the best known for fitting? Do either work on a blood type horse with a thoroughbred-y whither?
REcommendations for upper level jumper in terms of "deep, half deep, shallow" seat?

Thanks for any opinions out there.

doublesstable
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:01 PM
I think the CWD fits a wide variety of horses. I have a large WB with a high wither and it fits great. I also have a rounder backed horse that it fits too. I like the SEO1 which is the flat and the full calf - great for jumpers - it's extremely grippy and you feel like you can stick just about anything.

You can also do a search on these saddle becaues there has been a lot of conversation about them.

kelsey97
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:19 PM
I recently switched from a PJ original to a CWD. The PJ fit my shark fin TB very well, but didn't fit my QH or haffy cross. The CWD fits them all really well with different half pad for the wide and narrow horses. I didn't want to have a saddle for each horse, so the CWD was the best option for me. I have the flat seat CWD which I prefer over the deeper PJ seat.

The best advice I can give you is to utilize a consignment tack shop and try each of the saddles on your horse. The depth of the seat really comes down to your personal preference and the fit for your horse is another issue completely! Good luck saddle shopping;)

BAC
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:19 PM
The SE01 is CWD's flat seat, I know because I have one. You can check all the various seats out on their website, cwdsellier.com. The SE02 is their "half deep" seat.

They are a great saddle but you really have to try for yourself before making a decision, there are so many options out there.

RugBug
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:23 PM
I think you just need to have a rep out and give them a try. They should be able to fit something to your horse. If they can't, go elsewhere.

I have a Bruno Delgrange Athena (flat seat) that I adore. I love this saddle more than anyone should love an inanimate object. I purchased it after trying quite a few saddles on my VERY narrow, although not particularly high withered TB (in other words, the thought of riding him bareback isn't horrifying, but it's not a pleasant thought, either. :lol: ) He does have the typical TB dip behind his shoulder that made most saddles slide back and end up cantle high and too far back. His Delgrange is made for him and fits him (and me) wonderfully. It's one of only two saddles I've had on him that didn't slide back (the other was a Black Country that didn't fit me all that well).

I went with the Athena with the smallest knee rolls because I was trying to replicate my pancake flat saddle of yesteryear. I find the flat seat to be perfect. There are two other Delgrange's in the barn, both Partitions (half deep). When I tried the half deep, I felt stuck in the saddle and didn't really like it. Again, it's all personal preference...so you really have to try.

When you make appts with the reps, explain what you like, what you don't like and a little about your horse so they can bring the right model. My Delgrange appt got moved up by a barnmate, so the rep came directly from a show, without the model on his truck that I wanted to try. He ended up having to come back because I was not going to plunk down that kind of money without trying almost exactly what I was buying.

For instance: The French saddles can have high pommels that can hurt the girlie parts (had this problem with a Black Country, too). The Partition did this to me and was painful to post in. However, it could be made with a "female pommel" which is lower. There were no Athenas and no saddles with female pommels on the trailer, so I wasn't going to order until I could try that out. Turns out that once I got in the Athena, I didn't need the female pommel as it's just naturally lower on the flatter seat.

I do know a lot of people say that the Delgranges (PJs as well) fit a wide range of horses. I can't say I've had that experience, but only because mine was made for my hard to fit horse.

Finding the saddle that works for you and your horse really is about trying different brands out until one speaks to you.

Across Sicily
Apr. 10, 2011, 12:32 AM
I have a Bruno Delgrange L'Etoile. (I gather Delgrange isn't very good about updating their website, so I don't think it's actually on there yet; when mine arrived in November of '10 it was one of the first ones made. So it's pretty new.) It's more or less a "French bucket" - very cushy. It has a memory foam, slightly wider seat than, oh, say, the Partition/Athena models and the balance point is perhaps slightly further back as well. Mine also has a cutaway flap over the girth which, for whatever reason, helps stabilize my leg, and just otherwise looks sort of neat! It's a medium seat according to my rep, but I don't feel blocked in at all. Other than that it has a calf block, thigh roll, and no knee roll which was exactly what I wanted. Interestingly it was the only Delgrange I really liked... the Partition, Athena, and Virtuose were all beautifully balanced, but were very bad for me otherwise. I think my second favorite was the Athena. I went in drooling over the Partition. Just goes to show that you never know.

The saddle is QUITE comfortable and the balance is genuinely exquisite for jumping - I've never sat in anything remotely like it and believe me when I tell you I've sat in a lot of saddles. I feel extremely secure in it, and Mr Horse seems very very pleased with the fit (he is directly unopposed to informing you when he dislikes something - bit of a hothouse flower.) The fit could be ever so slightly better for Mr Horse, but he is the type with monster withers, sizable wither hollows, and a relatively high croup. He is a fitting nightmare. With a very small shim (for those @#$@# wither hollows) and a sheepskin pad it is about as perfect a fit as can be mustered. Since I'm quietly praying the wither hollows will dissipate somewhat as he builds more topline, neither I nor my rep felt it was prudent to build a saddle around the hollows - ergo the shim.

It's fit three of three horses I've used it on thus far though I also have a shim pad at my disposal, as mentioned. One of the others already has a Delgrange as his own, though, so that was a no-brainer!

I will also say that the customer service from Delgrange has been exquisite. I think I got a good rep, which always helps. I had some serious misgivings maybe 45 days into the new saddle relationship, and she was VERY amenable to fixing things as well as instantly responsive to my communication. I ended up keeping the original saddle I ordered but she was absolutely not hesitant - and told me up front that if I didn't like it, all I had to do was say the word - to order me a new/different saddle if I had decided I didn't like the one I got, as well as offering lots of goodies as an apology for it not being perfect out of the box (yay free high end leather goods!) Delgrange's customer service will lead me back to them if I ever (and I pray to GOD this won't happen for awhile, because I'm sick to death of buying saddles) need another.

KateKat
Apr. 10, 2011, 01:05 AM
I just recently tried CWD. Decided to pass because it just didn't feel 100% right. However, they are lovely saddles and very well made and thought out.

They were pretty confident they would be able to fit my SUPER withery girl.

I felt that CWD ran a little deeper than some of the other popular makers. Their flat felt more like other's medium deep. The pommel, as others have said, definitely feels more up there in your business.

But, I think its probably best to try both of them. Its amazing how much little tweaks here and there can change a way a saddle feels to you. Also, a saddle on one horse may feel completely different on another! It really is a matter of preference.

Oh, if you do try CWD see if your rep has the new carbon fiber tree demo on hand. Its pretty cool!

indygirl2560
Apr. 10, 2011, 01:40 AM
I had an older PJ, (early 90's), that I loved. It definitely fit narrow, high/"shark fin" withered horses the best. I personally prefer a deep seat, (which it had), but other people prefer something less deep. I haven't tried out any newer Delgrange/PJ saddles but my friend has one and it looks absolutely lovely and fits her and her horse very well. I bet you could find a pretty good deal right now on an older Delgrange it you have the type of horse I mentioned!

doublesstable
Apr. 10, 2011, 01:54 AM
The SE01 is CWD's flat seat, I know because I have one. You can check all the various seats out on their website, cwdsellier.com. The SE02 is their "half deep" seat.

They are a great saddle but you really have to try for yourself before making a decision, there are so many options out there.

Sorry made a typo - mine is the "flat" SEO1 also. I have one too. It isn't really flat IMHO - At least compared to my 1970 Whippy saddle :lol:

I actually demoed the CWD two times in a few year period and wasn't really sold on it being awesome - then a year later rode in my trainers CWD and it was amazing.. so I ordered the same saddle.

You really just have to try other peoples saddle if you can until you find something you really like and can fit your horse.

Good luck saddle hunting.

Ray
Apr. 10, 2011, 07:15 AM
make sure that you get an independent saddle fitter to check the fit on the horse. some saddle reps are better than others and lets face it, they want you to buy their saddle.

I would try the new Tad Coffin. All new design. its got a deeper seat that the previous A5 and its truly a piece of high-tech sports equipment, engineered to move with the horse. We have a TB with withers that does jumpers and it fits him well, after literally years of looking.

monalisa
May. 29, 2013, 03:26 PM
I tried both the CWD and the Delgrange and am going with the Delgrange. The saddles are very different. Think the Delgrange is closer to a Butet than anything I have tried. It is lighter, flatter, less padding than the CWD. Both are excellent saddles IMHO but very different. Great reps with both companies where I live, so the customer service is tops.h

TullyMars
May. 29, 2013, 03:46 PM
I have the Bruno Delgrange original PJ, and Rugbug, I can agree with you in your statement that you love this saddle more than anyone should love an inanimate object! I am in agreement with you in that statement with regards to the Bruno Delgrange. Mine is a 17.5 4L As to what it fits in my barn...It fits my Paint x Welsh large pony gelding in a wonderful fashion, and also fits my Holsteiner x TB mare even better. The mare is slightly more inclined to the TB side in the back and wither area, and I was surprised at the fit. I have also used it on my older TB gelding who is pretty unfit and it is an acceptable fit, but not as ideal. I bought this saddle for my daughter (who has been drooling over Antares and CWD saddles) thinking she could get some good use out of it as it is in excellent condition. She told me she thought that the leather was to slick so she did not like it even though it fit the majority of the horses I own. Well...in watching which saddles she chooses to ride in, the Bruno is now being used without complaint and there has been no more talk of the other brands. (for now) I really like the way it puts her leg under her and keeps very good alignment of her body overall. Though I love this saddle dearly, at some point however I may have to give up the dream of her fitting in the saddle I love, and sell it and get something she wants. Just my take on it the way my luck works is that I will have to buy one saddle for each of the horses instead on one saddle fitting most of my horses...That IS my life! Oh well right! We love this! Right?

SolitaireMare
Jun. 13, 2013, 12:34 PM
I have been riding in a Bruno Delgrange PJ Pro saddle for the past 10 years. I love this saddle more than anything I've ever ridden in and it has the wear to show for it. The flocking has become so flattened that it actually fits my slightly wider backed warmblood horse pretty well but there are some gaps and I'd like for it to be reflocked with his back in mind. I also need some reinforcements added along the bottom edge of the panels as the leather has worn quite thin under my lower leg. I don't know if the saddlery where I originally got the saddle even deals with Delgrange anymore so I'm looking to find a good saddler or a Delgrange rep on Long Island that can give my saddle the proper attention. If anybody can help me with any suggestions (PM is appreciated) that would be great! If I get nothing, I plan to see if Beval saddlery can help me out with this. They have a fabulous saddlery repair department and I've always been pleased with their work in the past.

supershorty628
Jun. 13, 2013, 03:49 PM
I've had both Delgrange and CWD saddles with my mare and have to say that I really didn't care for the Delgrange much. It was a nice enough saddle, but it just never fit my mare properly and made it very hard for me to stay with her. The 2 CWDs that I have are wonderful and I love them and guard them with my life!

RugBug
Jun. 13, 2013, 04:03 PM
I've had both Delgrange and CWD saddles with my mare and have to say that I really didn't care for the Delgrange much. It was a nice enough saddle, but it just never fit my mare properly and made it very hard for me to stay with her. The 2 CWDs that I have are wonderful and I love them and guard them with my life!

Heh! I lOVE my Delgrange and it was one of two saddles I tried on my horse that actually fit him and didn't slide back...and I tried A LOT. I am using my trainer's Delgrange right now on my new horse and I don't care for it as much as mine but still like it quite a lot (and mare likes it). It's the half deep (Partition) as opposed to the flat (Athena) that I have.

Saddle fit is so personal, it's really hard to make recommendations other that "Try everything you can!"

supershorty628
Jun. 13, 2013, 04:03 PM
Saddle fit is so personal, it's really hard to make recommendations other that "Try everything you can!"

Amen to that!!

sarcam02
Jun. 13, 2013, 04:06 PM
I have been riding in a Bruno Delgrange PJ Pro saddle for the past 10 years. I love this saddle more than anything I've ever ridden in and it has the wear to show for it. The flocking has become so flattened that it actually fits my slightly wider backed warmblood horse pretty well but there are some gaps and I'd like for it to be reflocked with his back in mind. I also need some reinforcements added along the bottom edge of the panels as the leather has worn quite thin under my lower leg. I don't know if the saddlery where I originally got the saddle even deals with Delgrange anymore so I'm looking to find a good saddler or a Delgrange rep on Long Island that can give my saddle the proper attention. If anybody can help me with any suggestions (PM is appreciated) that would be great! If I get nothing, I plan to see if Beval saddlery can help me out with this. They have a fabulous saddlery repair department and I've always been pleased with their work in the past.

I have two of the Pre 2009 PJ Originals (the company changed hands in 2010 and the newer saddles seem to be very different). I love my older PJ saddles so much.

RugBug
Jun. 13, 2013, 04:47 PM
I have two of the Pre 2009 PJ Originals (the company changed hands in 2010 and the newer saddles seem to be very different). I love my older PJ saddles so much.

The older PJs were made by Delgrange. The new ones are not.

monalisa
Jun. 14, 2013, 06:47 AM
I ordered a Delgrange Athena saddle (the really flat one) and I can't wait for it to arrive. I liked the CWD too but the CWD is a much heavier saddle and the pommel sits a lot higher in front. That bothered me. I thought the CWD held my leg better but I liked the position that the Degrange put me in better.

Both are very nice saddles. It just comes down to personal preference.

LTLFLDF
Jun. 14, 2013, 07:27 AM
Yes the new PJ's are no longer made by Bruno Delgrange. We offer the same models as we did when we partnered with PJ. PJ Lite - Athena, PJ Pro - Partition, PJ Original-Virtuose. We also have a new "Flat" saddle the Rivolli. I agree with the poster who said sit in everything you can. I tell people all the time when you sit in the right saddle you will know.

MILOUTE55
Jun. 14, 2013, 07:33 AM
I tell people all the time when you sit in the right saddle you will know.

Exactly!

BABYGREENTB
Jun. 14, 2013, 08:35 AM
I ordered a Delgrange Athena saddle (the really flat one) and I can't wait for it to arrive. I liked the CWD too but the CWD is a much heavier saddle and the pommel sits a lot higher in front. That bothered me. I thought the CWD held my leg better but I liked the position that the Degrange put me in better.

Both are very nice saddles. It just comes down to personal preference.

You will love it! I have an Athena and it's my favorite saddle I've ever owned. Sooooo comfy.

keatssu
Jun. 14, 2013, 08:38 AM
https://plus.google.com/113569491162609068653/posts

I'm not sure if people can see these pictures - I'll try it.

My friend has a Butet that she has used on a variety of horses and ponies without any fit issues. Her new horse is a Dutch Warmblood with Thoroughbred-ish withers. She isn't particularly wide or narrow. My friend's Butet does not fit her, as illustrated in the photo. She has issues with the saddle sliding back, and the horse just not go well at all in it.

I bought a CWD (used). The rep came out to fit my friend's Dutch and I fell in love with the saddle. She really liked the fit and her horse was MUCH happier - big difference in the way she went. She has to sell her Butet before she can buy another saddle though. When mine came I tried it on her horse (she was out of town) and sent her the photos. She came back and has since ridden in it. Great fit, no problems.

It also fits my 14.1 Connemara very well. I love it. The pommel is higher. I think it depends on the person as to whether it is an issue. My friend and I are both pretty tiny.

I can't speak to the Delgrange, but I think it is worth trying some CWDs. This one is a SEO2 - semi-deep, L flap, regular length.

Even if you can't see the photos perhaps this will help.

sarcam02
Jun. 14, 2013, 08:50 AM
Yes the new PJ's are no longer made by Bruno Delgrange. We offer the same models as we did when we partnered with PJ. PJ Lite - Athena, PJ Pro - Partition, PJ Original-Virtuose. We also have a new "Flat" saddle the Rivolli. I agree with the poster who said sit in everything you can. I tell people all the time when you sit in the right saddle you will know.

Excellent point!

RugBug
Jun. 14, 2013, 12:05 PM
https://plus.google.com/113569491162609068653/posts

I'm not sure if people can see these pictures - I'll try it.

My friend has a Butet that she has used on a variety of horses and ponies without any fit issues. Her new horse is a Dutch Warmblood with Thoroughbred-ish withers. She isn't particularly wide or narrow. My friend's Butet does not fit her, as illustrated in the photo. She has issues with the saddle sliding back, and the horse just not go well at all in it.

I bought a CWD (used). The rep came out to fit my friend's Dutch and I fell in love with the saddle. She really liked the fit and her horse was MUCH happier - big difference in the way she went. She has to sell her Butet before she can buy another saddle though. When mine came I tried it on her horse (she was out of town) and sent her the photos. She came back and has since ridden in it. Great fit, no problems.

It also fits my 14.1 Connemara very well. I love it. The pommel is higher. I think it depends on the person as to whether it is an issue. My friend and I are both pretty tiny.

I can't speak to the Delgrange, but I think it is worth trying some CWDs. This one is a SEO2 - semi-deep, L flap, regular length.

Even if you can't see the photos perhaps this will help.

Again, this only helps if the OPs horse is exactly like the horses you've tried a CWD on. The only way of knowing if a particular saddle will fit is to get it on the horse. I would be wary of anyone who makes a blanket statement that a particular brand will fit any horse. It is simply not true.

keatssu
Jun. 14, 2013, 02:19 PM
Again, this only helps if the OPs horse is exactly like the horses you've tried a CWD on. The only way of knowing if a particular saddle will fit is to get it on the horse. I would be wary of anyone who makes a blanket statement that a particular brand will fit any horse. It is simply not true.

Perhaps you should read my post again as well as the OPs original post. She asked about a CWD and a horse that sounds SIMILAR to my friend's. I am certainly not implying that my new saddle would fit all horses - I mentioned 2 that it fits, and suggested that it is worth TRYING.

I spent a fair amount of time this morning trying to post the pictures because I thought they would be helpful - the OP posted on here asking for input, right?

It's neither nice nor helpful to anyone to discount someone's effort to help out someone who asked for help.

RugBug
Jun. 14, 2013, 02:47 PM
Perhaps you should read my post again as well as the OPs original post. She asked about a CWD and a horse that sounds SIMILAR to my friend's. I am certainly not implying that my new saddle would fit all horses - I mentioned 2 that it fits, and suggested that it is worth TRYING.

I spent a fair amount of time this morning trying to post the pictures because I thought they would be helpful - the OP posted on here asking for input, right?

It's neither nice nor helpful to anyone to discount someone's effort to help out someone who asked for help.

Perhaps I responded as I did because in my experience fitting saddles to hard to fit horses..."sounding" the same means absolutely nothing. My two current horses "sound" fairly similar in build. They are both happy in Delgranges, but you switch which one goes on which and it's not a pretty.

As I have maintained throughout this thread, you have to try the saddles. Other people's experience means very, very little when it comes to fitting a particular horse AND a particular rider. I've seen CWDs put some people in chair seats while they look great for others. I've seen Delgranges do the same. I LOVE my Delgrange, and only like my trainer's.

IMO, the REAL answer to these thread is TRY, TRY, TRY.

keatssu
Jun. 14, 2013, 04:07 PM
Perhaps I responded as I did because in my experience fitting saddles to hard to fit horses..."sounding" the same means absolutely nothing. My two current horses "sound" fairly similar in build. They are both happy in Delgranges, but you switch which one goes on which and it's not a pretty.

As I have maintained throughout this thread, you have to try the saddles. Other people's experience means very, very little when it comes to fitting a particular horse AND a particular rider. I've seen CWDs put some people in chair seats while they look great for others. I've seen Delgranges do the same. I LOVE my Delgrange, and only like my trainer's.

IMO, the REAL answer to these thread is TRY, TRY, TRY.

Well, it is still rude to quote an ENTIRE post and say that it "is not helpful." Clearly, you already stated your OPINION, which is what the OP asked for, so why don't you just let someone else give their two cents and let the OP decide for herself whether it is helpful to her. You got your point across, no one disagrees that you have to try saddles and that they have to fit both horse and rider.