PDA

View Full Version : Opportunity Hunter Classes?

kelsey97
Apr. 9, 2011, 12:30 PM
Can anyone give me the scoop on these? I've looked up rules and regs with different associations, and I'm finding the eligibility requirements vary.

AliCat
Apr. 9, 2011, 04:09 PM
When I did them at 'C' rated shows, they were a division seperate from beginner hunter, but shown at the same height and over the same courses. My understanding is that they were to give people the opportunity to experience USEF shows without having to pay for a membership or non-member fees and drug fees at the individual show. The requirements for competitors entering that division also follow the same as beginner hunter.

PineTreeFarm
Apr. 9, 2011, 05:04 PM
Can anyone give me the scoop on these? I've looked up rules and regs with different associations, and I'm finding the eligibility requirements vary.

Are you refering to 'opportunity' classes at USEF rated shows?
If so the show must follow USEF rules for these sections but there are no USEF specifications per division other than blanket eligibility requirements.
Each show can define their own rules.

"All Opportunity classes and divisions must have fences 2’6” or below.
(4) Any rider that has shown in a Zone pointed division, such as a children’s hunter division is not eligible.
(5) Any rider that has shown in a regular division (such as regular ponies) is not eligible.
(6) All rules and regulations in section GR821 should be followed, except GR821.7
(no crossing over into rated divisions)."

USEF/ USHJA membership for horse or rider is not required and all USEF/USHJA fees are waived.
NO USEF/USHJA points
Shows are restricted as to how many opportunity classes they can hold at each show.
Drug rules do apply.

kelsey97
Apr. 9, 2011, 07:14 PM
Are you refering to 'opportunity' classes at USEF rated shows?
If so the show must follow USEF rules for these sections but there are no USEF specifications per division other than blanket eligibility requirements.
Each show can define their own rules.

"All Opportunity classes and divisions must have fences 2’6” or below.
(4) Any rider that has shown in a Zone pointed division, such as a children’s hunter division is not eligible.
(5) Any rider that has shown in a regular division (such as regular ponies) is not eligible.
(6) All rules and regulations in section GR821 should be followed, except GR821.7
(no crossing over into rated divisions)."

USEF/ USHJA membership for horse or rider is not required and all USEF/USHJA fees are waived.
NO USEF/USHJA points
Shows are restricted as to how many opportunity classes they can hold at each show.
Drug rules do apply.

Pinetree: Yes, I am talking about OP classes at USEF shows and I did read the rules. Thank you for posting them because I'm confused!?! I've shown rated shows since the early '80s and clearly ineligible for these classes right? I e-mailed the show mgmt and they are saying the only eligibility requirements for OP Long Stirrup is that I am age 13 and up, and can't compete in any rated or unrated class higher than 2'6" at that show.

I have a greenie, just turned 4 and has shown twice over 2 ft that I'm trying to get real show miles on. The opportunity classes caught my eye because the fees, stalls, etc are half the price, but you get the big A show experience.

Is it reasonable that different show management make different rules for these classes? Anyone had any experience with these classes at a show?

PineTreeFarm
Apr. 10, 2011, 07:21 PM
Pinetree: Yes, I am talking about OP classes at USEF shows and I did read the rules. Thank you for posting them because I'm confused!?! I've shown rated shows since the early '80s and clearly ineligible for these classes right? I e-mailed the show mgmt and they are saying the only eligibility requirements for OP Long Stirrup is that I am age 13 and up, and can't compete in any rated or unrated class higher than 2'6" at that show.

I have a greenie, just turned 4 and has shown twice over 2 ft that I'm trying to get real show miles on. The opportunity classes caught my eye because the fees, stalls, etc are half the price, but you get the big A show experience.

Is it reasonable that different show management make different rules for these classes? Anyone had any experience with these classes at a show?

It's not just showing in USEF rated shows. It's USEF rated divisions.
I'd politely ask the show management to review the USEF requirements. They have changed since Opportunity classes were introduced.

I'm speaking from a show management point of view.

As long as the show follows the basic eligibility rules for Opportunity classes they can design their own specs.

Summit Springs Farm
Apr. 11, 2011, 10:25 AM
Kelsey97 that's what the baby green classes are for, young horses getting A rated miles while not getting A rated division results/points.
The Opp classes are for the less experienced rider to get A rates miles while not getting A rated division points.