PDA

View Full Version : Just for Fun, What's your biggest position quirk? Dressage or Jumping

Zoomd
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:42 PM
I'm just curious to hear others on their, so I can think maybe I'm not the only one with these little position detail flaws that drive me nuts! :mad:

Overall, I look down at my horses head half the time when I ride. Like I'm legitimately not sure how I dont crash into things. I could try a neck brace.....lol

Dressage, mine is keeping my shoulders BACK. Dressage trainer always picks on me.

Jumping, mine is "landing on my feet" as Sally calls it. I'm not sure how i manage to get around XC as well as I do when in pictures I can see jumps where I'm definitely pinching with my knee. UGh! Maybe I need to ride in a saddle with no knee rolls for a while?

kinnip
Apr. 8, 2011, 09:02 PM
I rode at my trainer's today--dressage. I don't usually have mirrors, and had no idea how far back my lower leg was getting. "Gardening knees" are great to a point, but I've clearly been taking it too far. She really drilled the "heavy knees, heavy elbows" into my head. Now we have to do "heavy heels, heavy elbows".

StrawberryFields
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:35 PM
i have "piano" hands. also they tend to be stiff. Lately my trainer has been really working with me and they have improved a lot!!! also my right leg slips forward! SO FRUSTRATING!!! work, work, work will help!!! hahaha:winkgrin:

JFCeventer
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:36 PM
Dressage: Staring at my horse's head, hunching my shoulders, keeping my hands too wide and low (this has been getting better however!), and keeping mytoes turned too far out

Jumping: Not folding enough/opening hips too early on smaller fences (under 2'6") and therefore inhibiting his hind end. Luckily, show season is coming up and we'll be jumping bigger fences! :)

mg
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:50 PM
I'm a head bobber. I think in my efforts to soften through my back, I just end up bobbing my head.

Not really a position "flaw," but I also keep my mouth open when I'm jumping. I've been told it looks like I'm sucking an invisible lollipop. It looks stupid and I always end up looking surprised in photos: http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/66606_753329210119_5811865_40953076_5010258_n.jpg

Bobthehorse
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:57 PM
Dressage: shoulders, I have naturally slouchy shoulders so Im always fighting my conformation to sit up straight. Also I can be a little stronger with my left hand, but its not so bad anymore.

Jumping: I can be too quick with my upper body in the air, and also tend to twist a little in the air and land with more weight in my left stirrup.

CarCat
Apr. 9, 2011, 01:02 AM
Dressage - my elbows don't stay back. Shoulders - fine, elbows - not.
My Elbows have been tied together from behind (many many moons ago, before I knew to question the safety of that method), held a whip behind them for an entire lesson, etc. and its still an ongoing issue!

Jumping - I'm kinda crooked, and my right leg always swings below the knee in the early season. I also stick my butt out! lol, my back is naturally arched so if I arch a little over fences......I have some embarrassing pictures :)

CarCat
Apr. 9, 2011, 01:05 AM
Not really a position "flaw," but I also keep my mouth open when I'm jumping. I've been told it looks like I'm sucking an invisible lollipop. It looks stupid and I always end up looking surprised in photos: http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/66606_753329210119_5811865_40953076_5010258_n.jpg

HAHA, I put my tongue in my cheek! Enough to see the lump clearly in all my pictures. I've been threatened for 20+ years that I'm going to fall and bite it off, and it hasn't happened yet.....

mustangsal85
Apr. 9, 2011, 01:25 AM
I have a bad back and have had bad posture my whole life. So I tend to roach my back and tuck my butt under. It's really unattractive. I also collapse my left side which is more of a body fail than position fail because it is very difficult for me to straighten my spine since it curves to the left. I've seen a chiropractor but not consistently enough to make a difference. It bugs the crap out of my though because I'm constantly being told to pick up my left shoulder and it's just so hard for me to do!

piaffeprincess98
Apr. 9, 2011, 07:43 AM
For dressage I tend to collapse my right side and end up sitting off left.

I'm my own worst critic in the jumping. I sometimes duck right, although that's definitely been getting better. I need to be more open with my hips on landing, especially after drops, and I'm always reminding myself to wait my upper body on take off. I also get "into my knees" unless I'm really sitting in the saddle.

scubed
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:46 AM
Dressage used to be shoulders forward, but that seems to have improved, now it is elbows too straight. My trainer is constantly saying, "a little bend in the elbows"

Jumping, definitely pinching at the knee and letting my lower leg swing back, working on that one (have been for 15 years)

goodmorning
Apr. 9, 2011, 10:30 AM
Keeping my body strait in dressage, I do some funky shoulder things at times.

Jumping, I can get tense/stiff and start jumping ahead, leaning forward, ruining the canter. It tends to happen when I don't see a distance, my hips become stiff as a board and it ruins the whole flow. A work in progress, and at least my tension results in over-compensating (flinging the reins & being very careful with his back) so my horse is still happy to jump...but, with a hard jump it ruins the back-side of the jump...

enjoytheride
Apr. 9, 2011, 10:46 AM
My elbows don't stay back, and when I get nervous my hands go right up by my nose. Fantastic reaction to riding a bunch of bad to the bone horses and an instinct I work hard at kicking, because it really doesn't help matters much.

AnEnglishRider
Apr. 9, 2011, 03:52 PM
I look down too... I need to focus more on how he feels underneath me rather than how he looks since I can only see the top of his neck anyway! Jumping I tend to pinch with my knee...

And overall, my biggest problem is turning my toes out. Like, leg totally perpendicular to the horse. That's how far out I turn them. I have to really think about turning my leg from the hip to be parallel with the horse to fix it.

It probably doesn't help that I haven't had a riding lesson in over a year, and haven't had a dressage lesson in a lot longer than that.

yellowbritches
Apr. 9, 2011, 07:48 PM
In dressage, I tend to dip my right shoulder and sometimes collapse my right side, especially when I am nervous (however, it was noted yesterday that I am sitting up MUCH better and straighter on Toby...it's easy to look good when every dressage school isn't a battle to the death!!! :lol:). I also tend to open the fingers on my left hand instead of just giving/softening my left rein. I have ZERO idea why I do this...I also hang on the left rein, but I blame some of that on Vernon (who also hangs on the left rein).

My jumping position is pretty solid and I am pretty proud of it. The worst thing I do is come back with my hands a little sometimes, but it is a nit-picky little detail. I sometimes think I open up too soon, but I always think that when I scroll through a big sequence- it is never commented on when I'm actually in the moment, so I think it is more that awkward moment in time thing you get with photos.

JWB
Apr. 9, 2011, 07:54 PM
Don't know when I developed it because I didn't do it as a kid (or even before I had my baby) but when I saw a picture (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=393382613181&set=a.393382558181.175488.665238181&theater) from my first show back post baby, I discovered that I've grown a set of wings (flapping elbows)

Almost a year later, the elbows continue to stick out and my coach is always reminding me to keep them in!