PDA

View Full Version : How bad does it have to be...

Duckz
Apr. 8, 2011, 07:57 PM
Before they'll cancel xc at an event? Going to Loch Moy tomorrow and it's been raining on and off all day. I certainly don't want to run xc in dangerous conditions, but I will be VERY SAD if I wake up at 3:00 AM just to do dressage and stadium :lol:

I guess on the flip side...have you been to an event where they held xc and decided to pull your horse anyway?

ETA: I'll be doing Novice...

RAyers
Apr. 8, 2011, 07:59 PM
Just because they have it does not mean you have to do it.

YOU are your horse's ADVOCATE.

The last time I pulled out was at the AECs. I drove 2,000 miles for a dressage test. My horse was more important.

Reed

Tazzie
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:01 PM
I often volunteer at Loch Moy. We'll only cancel if it's storming. I'll be in one of the dressage huts as a scribe for Sara Smallwood. Fingers crossed for warm weather!

Duckz
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:20 PM
Just because they have it does not mean you have to do it.

YOU are your horse's ADVOCATE.

The last time I pulled out was at the AECs. I drove 2,000 miles for a dressage test. My horse was more important.

Reed

Yes, very good point to keep in mind. Thanks :)

Duckz
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:22 PM
I often volunteer at Loch Moy. We'll only cancel if it's storming. I'll be in one of the dressage huts as a scribe for Sara Smallwood. Fingers crossed for warm weather!

I'm keeping EVERYTHING crossed that the footing is decent by 10:52 tomorrow morning!

enjoytheride
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:57 PM
I ran unrecognized last year in the pouring rain but not at your event.

Everyone went slower then normal, especially stadium which was on grass and most of the riders all the way through Novice trotted some of their corners. I don't think that anyone showed up with studs, as it's usually a pretty easy event so I don't know if that would have helped.

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 8, 2011, 09:30 PM
I guess on the flip side...have you been to an event where they held xc and decided to pull your horse anyway?

ETA: I'll be doing Novice...

Yes...got up at 3 am, drove 2 hours to the event, walked the course and got back in my truck and went home. It was sleeting when I drove in and I needed a tractor to pull me into the parking (not a good sign). The course looked fun...but I was riding a very green horse in novice and I decided it wouldn't be good for his confidence to run. Now why I didn't do dressage...pure lazy. It was cold...I wanted to go back to bed. I'm motivated for xc...not so much for dressage;)

I've pulled out of other events....but this one I remember distinctly!

Go and see what the footing is like. It may not be as soggy there as it is at your farm. I've competed MANY MANY times in rain....it is the quality of the footing and the horse I'm sitting on (and what I think is best for them) that will determine whether I ride or not (rain or shine).

Ltc4h
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:38 AM
loch Moy, has very nice footing and sitting on top of that hill, I would be surprised if the footing is really bad.
A few low spots & in the trees-to be expected. Heres where you call on your horsemanship skills to make a decision.
It's still very early in the season.

Bornfree- Sounds like Menfelt.
Only I rode Dressage then went home, although allowed the Tractor operator [Thanks Mike] to attach chain. Truck stayed bumper came off.

Beam Me Up
Apr. 9, 2011, 11:03 AM
Yes...got up at 3 am, drove 2 hours to the event, walked the course and got back in my truck and went home. It was sleeting when I drove in and I needed a tractor to pull me into the parking (not a good sign).

Was that at Weave a Dream maybe 5 yrs ago?
I had a bad snowy trailer-pull there . . .

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 9, 2011, 01:41 PM
Was that at Weave a Dream maybe 5 yrs ago?
I had a bad snowy trailer-pull there . . .

We have a winner :)

OverandOnward
Apr. 9, 2011, 01:53 PM
I WANTED to leave, especially after eating lunch in the truck and being unable to see through the rain beyond the hood. But the footing really wasn't bad, and visibility improved. And my trailer buddies were tacking up and riding. So I did, too. After getting the pep talk about tough eventers, and "put on a raincoat and ride." I had seen it coming from a few days out, the saddle was thoroughly treated with mink oil in advance. It was fine and a good experience that what doesn't kill you will make you cold and wet. :yes:

I have no problem arriving at an event, assessing a course as a bad idea for this rider and this horse on this day, and heading 1-3 hours back home. Sometimes that's the way it is.

asterix
Apr. 9, 2011, 04:04 PM
Loch moy's footing can be quite good.
Plus, you are doing dressage and sj on footing, so it is worth going and assessing the xc.

piaffeprincess98
Apr. 9, 2011, 05:58 PM
We have a winner :)

I was there too. It was supposed to be my first event with my new horse at the time. Turned around and left after a 2.5 hour drive!

Classic Melody
Apr. 9, 2011, 06:40 PM
Ok, so who went to Loch Moy today? Turned out to be really nice, just soft in a few places on the XC course. I took my new horse to our first HT - his first ever. Got a 39 in dressage and jumped clean in our BN division to finish fifth! I was thrilled with him. I thought the XC and SJ courses were pretty true to the level, if not stiff - the SJ had a 2 stride, 3 stride and a 4 stride plus a bending line! XC was not complicated but the jumps looked fully sized.

pharmgirl
Apr. 10, 2011, 09:08 AM
CM- so glad you guys had a great first outing! Can't wait to see pics! Hopefully we can join you guys out there May 15 :).

If anyone went to the CT how did SJ compare at the levels? Just by pics, I thought BN was soft at the CT but I didn't ride it so I can't comment personally! ;)

yellowbritches
Apr. 10, 2011, 09:16 AM
We had two horses at novice and a BN horse. They all had great days. One of our novice horses got scored a 20 on xc because his dad decided to circle between 5ab instead of try to make the turn (he kinda forget the were numbered ab, but said he would have made the decision either way...he was there to school his training horse after a bad outing last weekend). BN horse stormed around like a pro, and she her owner hadn't been out since Rubicon- not even a xc school (just goes to show that if you do the right stuff at home, you don't have to school the snot out of them!).

We also had a boat load of horses at the CT a couple of weeks ago. SJ was almost exactly the same. The only difference (for BN) was that they turned the last line into a two stride for yesterday (it had just been like a 4 stride line), and added a fence on the short side. The last line rode spooky, I thought, for novice and BN. Since it was right by the gate and everyone, I could see why that would be. It was a pretty soft course at the CT and yesterday, I thought...rode a little like a hunter course- fine by me for early, schooling type outings!

wizetta
Apr. 10, 2011, 11:29 AM
I ran training there yesterday. The SJ was tough, IMO for a starter trial. Had a double and a triple combination. Footing on XC was only really bad near the woods on 5A&B. My horse slipped badly in between and it caused him to lose confidence. There was also a table near the end of the course that looked to be over training level height. There was a corner on course but they took that out and replaced it with something else. We made it around but i would have liked to see something softer for an early season starter trial, at least for Training level.

Duckz
Apr. 10, 2011, 04:05 PM
OP here. Footing wasn't bad! Studs would have been nice, but I just took note of a couple slick spots on xc and avoided fast sharp turns. 5a to 5b was one of those! I thought about circling too yellowbritches :) We just trotted and make it ok.

The OH SH*T moment came at the ditch to log combo. Not sure if it was carelessness or if he slipped, but Linc stuck a foot in the ditch and we just about landed on our faces :eek: The jump judge gasped. I wish I had it on video to see how he managed to recover!

We finished on our dressage score :cool: So did everyone else in our crowd. Great day.

Big kudos to the folks at Loch Moy. Everyone was super friendly and helpful. I loved the lady sending people off at the start box!

Lori B
Apr. 10, 2011, 04:05 PM
My trainer took a horse novice, and thought the footing was fine. The stone dust rings drain pretty well, seemed to me.

inquisitive
Apr. 11, 2011, 11:34 AM
CM and YB, glad to hear your day went well!

I took my young OTTB to her first dressage test ever! Fun haha

She actually did amazingly well considering it was her first time seeing golfcarts and horses galloping by on XC :winkgrin:

Our test was pretty lame as she tensed up a lot once seeing the judge's stand and hearing the sound of stonedust hitting the plastic rails, but our warmup beforehand and schooling afterwards were lovely! I let her walk around for about 20-30 minutes before starting anything and her jig-OMG-jig turned into her usual nice walk. Must find someplace to school with plastic fence... Next is just going anywhere and everywhere to get her places in a show environment. Loved the judge's last comment: "should be super once more relaxed" :yes:

Lori B
Apr. 11, 2011, 11:49 AM
inquisitive, agree re: gravel hitting plastic (or aluminum)

I have spent a little time every ride this spring throwing a little dirt and gravel against the arena wall as we walk around before our ride, because my girl used to really hate that sound. It has really helped.