PDA

View Full Version : Selling a currently standing barn??

Saidapal
Apr. 8, 2011, 07:07 PM
Has anybody done it? How much did you ask for it?

I have a 4 stall (12X12) pole barn with a 12X24 tack room that I had built about 7 years ago. It's a beautiful barn. Condition would be that they remove it. Has anybody bought a barn like this? Or sold one? How much did you ask/pay?

SMF11
Apr. 8, 2011, 09:09 PM
I don't know what to charge for new barns; for old ones that someone wants to reassemble elsewhere usually they are free, with the site regraded/landscaped. The cost to disassemble and move is so high it doesn't make sense to pay on top of that. However, that's not for a new barn.

gallupgirl
Apr. 9, 2011, 06:29 AM
We did this last year. It was a 35 yr. old, seven stall with hay room, huge tack room and a very long run in shed with stalls. The roof leaked terribly. We paid to have it disassembled, the pieces put on pallets and removed it to another portion of the property where we sold and used piece by piece in a new structure. I can tell you that we did use every single part or sold every part of that old barn. The barn tin was used in the roof of the observation room, whitewashed, the rest sold to a restaurant for the same use. Wood used in the walls of the new stalls, covered with new plywood sheets ($3 each, leftovers from a crate company), trusses sold to two different parties to be used for two barns. Nails pulled from the wreckage carefully put in buckets and scrapped.

Can I ask why you would tear down such a new barn?

cloudyandcallie
Apr. 9, 2011, 07:13 AM
OP may be moving out west?

Don't you have a "market bulletin" in FL like we have in GA? Advertise it in the bulletin. People will buy parts if you cannot sell the barn as a whole.
Tin, doors, etc., can always be used to add onto existing barns.

And if you are close enough to the GA line, put it in the Ga Dept of Ag Market Bulletin.

lostkiwi
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:35 AM
I just did this. I purchased a 4 stall barn with feed room/tack room. 24 x 60 wood construction with shingled roof in excellent condition. We dismantled and removed from site. We paid $500 for it, complete.

Took 3 people (my hubby and sons) 4 days to do the tear down and removal, using hand tools and 1 trailer. Hard work and exhausting. I am sure a professional crew could get it down in 2 day.

We are rebuilding barn on our farm this summer. Only thing we have to replace is the shingles.

Owner just wanted it gone. I have seen other barns of this size for tear down locally going for $2-3000 with buyer removal.

Sipsi
Apr. 9, 2011, 03:49 PM
We did the same thing. We purchased 14 stalls of a 40 stall barn, had professionals tear it down and then rebuild it on our land for a fraction of the cost of our 16 stall barn. This barn became our mare barn, so the stalls were double in size (so in the end, I have a 6 stall barn, feed room, washrack with vet stocks and work area.) We put a new roof on, insulated it (TX heat, ick) and ended up with new siding too. Hubby was very happy about the bill!