PDA

View Full Version : Warm up variations for the young horse?

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Apr. 8, 2011, 07:57 PM
My young (5 yo) mare is smart, very athletic (with nearly boundless energy), and very expressive about her opinions on just about everything :winkgrin:. Sometimes the warmup is about draining a bit of energy with a bit of really forward cantering first, but more often that not it is (not so) simply getting her mind settled and focused on me, and her accepting of the aids (yes dear, I am allowed to ask you to bend...:rolleyes::).

Sometimes I ride a lot of w/t transitions. Today we got really good leg-yields at the walk that helped to focus her mind (after a lot of trial and error with other things, like bending lines etc...). Sometimes i lunge first. Sometimes I just trail ride for 20 min first at the walk, but during the week I ride in the wee hours of the morning when it's basically still dark, so that's not always an option. And she's not really a "routine" horse. What works one day, may not work the next. So I need a lot of tricks up my sleeve. :)

So, what do you do with your young ones to settle their mind?

deltawave
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:04 PM
With a young one you sort of have to be ready to ride whichever critter you have at that moment. :) Thqt might mean no warmup at all, sometimes. Keep the big picture in mind and if it's not happening today, forget the scores and keep schooling or doing whatever, even after the whistle. :)

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:22 PM
I should clarify -- not even show warm up -- just regular, every day warm up to get to the part where we can maybe start learning something new :D!