PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Event vs. Exselle Integra

SecondInCommand
Apr. 8, 2011, 04:54 PM
Hi all,

I am a longtime lurker of this forum, and felt compelled to sign up at long last to poll the wisdom of COTH. I have a saddle question! *groan* :D

I'm currently in the market for a new jump saddle, and have narrowed the field to an Exselle Integra http://www.tackdirect.co.uk/prod_show.asp?prodid=5 and a Prestige Event http://www.saddlesource.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Event&cat=10. I'm looking at wool flocking for either one.

A little context: I'm an LL eventer, currently running T, and I can't imagine running anything beyond a * with this horse (or perhaps ever!), and we're still a good four to five years from that. I have a dressage saddle, so I don't need something I can flat in. In my current jump saddle, my knee sticks out over the front (I'm 5'10"), and I like these two saddles because I actually *fit* in them. My leg feels secure without being 'trapped', and I don't have to think about it - I realize just how much I have been fighting my current saddle. :no:

Both of these saddles fit both me and the horse (the Exselle would require some minor reflocking to be perfect; the saddle fitter doesn't seem to think it would be an issue). They are not terribly dissimilar in price, so now it comes down to which is "better", whatever that means!

I would love to hear of any experiences or opinions you may have! Thanks in advance.

Hilary
Apr. 8, 2011, 06:37 PM
I can't speak to the Exselle, but my poor Prestige Eventer has been soaked through more times than I can remember - it has worn like iron. There are surface cracks in the finish of the leather, but it's strong and showing no serious signs of wear. Unless you peer closely you don't see the little cracks. It's beginning to look less new, but given how hard it's been used I can't complain. I've had it 7 years and it was used when I bought it. We had 3 seriously rainy summers in a row and, well, you don't stop riding just 'cause it's wet...

eventingismylife
Apr. 8, 2011, 06:39 PM
I have never ridden in the Exselle Integra, but I love the Prestige Event. I am 5'9" and I have a super hard time finding saddles that fit me well. I also love that it can be adjusted up or down by 2cm b/c I have a very big ISH mare that is hard to fit.
You can get it in wool from VTO. http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=VTO&Product_Code=PES&Category_Code=

There are a bunch of nice used Prestige Events out there, but most if not all of them are going to be foam flocking.

SecondInCommand
Apr. 11, 2011, 09:13 AM
Thank you both for your input! It sounds like the Prestige Event has quite the fan club.

jn4jenny
Apr. 11, 2011, 11:04 AM
Just my two cents, but if they both fit my horse and myself, I would buy the Prestige purely for ease of resale. The Prestige Event has a HUGE fan club.

Exselle makes a lovely product, but they're almost unknown here in the US so you'll have a helluva time if you ever need to resell it.

scubed
Apr. 11, 2011, 11:11 AM
The prestige eventer saddles don't fit me well, but I have to say I am super impressed by how well all of the prestige jumping saddles hold up over time, so that may be a consideration

avezan
Apr. 11, 2011, 02:33 PM
The Prestige eventer now comes in a new leather that is over 3mm thick, super soft and supple and should wear like iron. I want one. :)

SecondInCommand
Apr. 12, 2011, 09:32 AM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! And jn4jenny, I'm up in Canadiaville, we've got a half decent Exselle resale market here, so I'm a bit more fortunate in that respect than if I were living in the US.