PDA

View Full Version : Myler bits

HRF Second Chance
Apr. 8, 2011, 03:41 PM
I'm curious to get some feedback on Myler bits. I've currently got my horse in a Happy Mouth and he seems kind of blah about bits in general.

He's recently had his teeth fixed and now he's starting to be softer in his jaw and neck and has just began to start being a little "slobbery". We're riding in a plain snaffle or a French link. You could probably ride him around in a halter and lead rope because he's really pretty mellow.

Thoughts on the Mylers? I've heard they do a great job of making their mouth relax a little more and make them more accepting of the bit. Since he's in a plain snaffle now I"m looking for recommendations on a "comfort level" for him as well.

KBC
Apr. 8, 2011, 03:59 PM
I'm a recent convert to Mylers and I love them for the two guys I've used them on.

Mr G has been a bit iffy about everything that we have tried, one day we had a great ride, he was so light and accepting of the bit and went so well, I thought we were making progress, but when I checked I had stupidly put his bridle together on the wrong holes after cleaning and the bit was low in his mouth. It made me wonder so I splashed out on a Myler and he goes really well in it, he feels like a different horse.

I bought one then for my little Haflinger, she has a thick tongue and a small mouth and it just seems to fit nicely in there. I am just bringing her back into work after a lay off, so I can't actually say if it is working for her, but it's working for me :)

faraway46
Apr. 8, 2011, 04:58 PM
Yes, they are great. I have solved three different horses with complicated contact all on Myler bits. As always, the trick is to match the right one, but you can mail them through their website (one of the Mylers answer back!) and they give you feedback and suggestions on what can work for you! You can even send them a couple of Youtube videos for them to watch so they can recommend what's best.
They are surely worth a try!

Mtn trails
Apr. 8, 2011, 05:07 PM
I love Mylers. All our horses go in a variation of the comfort snaffle. The horses all seen to like them the best of any I've tried and that's good enough for me.

tamarak_equestrian
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:17 PM
I love my Myler. I've yet to find a horse that doesn't like it and go really soft and round on it.

accidental cowgirl
Apr. 9, 2011, 04:54 PM
I like them a lot and have used several different models. You could get some guidance from Myler to get an idea what to try. Another great thing is horse-rider-etc.com has a program where you can rent any myler bit to try for $5, and then they just charge you the remainder of the price if you choose to keep it. I loved being able to compare a couple and keep the one that worked best.

amastrike
Apr. 9, 2011, 05:11 PM
Love Myler bits! My hot hot hot temperamental mare goes extremely well in a plain loose ring Myler with the barrel joint thingy. It's absolutely worth a shot!

whbar158
Apr. 9, 2011, 11:28 PM
I must say I am not a huge fan. I do not find most of them to be stable in the mouth to me. I don't like the independent side movement, not sure why, but I just don't like the feel it gives me. My favorite bits are my sprenger kk ultra d-ring and my happy mouth mullen mouth (I really want to get one of their ribbed ones now) and then a french link 2 ring and my broken segunda for the really strong ones. Of course there have been other bits that really worked well for other horses as well, but I don't think I have ever felt great with the myler style bits. I have a full check ported custom sweet iron and I have never liked it.

This is purely superficial but I really hate the ones with hooks and how they look. I like leverage but I just don't like the way it looks for some reason, but if I liked the feel I would use it even if I didn't like how it looked.

MintHillFarm
Apr. 10, 2011, 06:18 PM
I am a fan too...

I have the full check and the D snaffles. They fit well and seem way more comfortable than the conventional snaffle. They're more correctly fit to the contour of the mouth, in my opinion...

HRF Second Chance
Apr. 11, 2011, 09:18 AM
A friend was kind enough to loan me hers this weekend and I got to try it on Chance. At first he was NOT into it at all. Head in the air, acted like he wanted to avoid it. But after riding him around for awhile he started to get more soft and round.

And he finally started to lick and chew a little bit. He doesn't do that in ANY bit I ride him in. Especially when he halts. He'll halt and just HOLD himself locked into position even when the reins go slack. So a big improvement for him to relax his jaw and neck enough to lick it and chew.

I was finally also able to get him to round a little by just flexing his jaw to the inside instead of the dreaded see-saw (I didn't teach him that) so we'll see how it goes this week. I haven't jumped him in it yet either so that will be the next test.

RougeEmpire
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:08 PM
I have many Myler bits and I like them a lot but in my opinion they are NOT to start a horse. I use them to FIX a horse who's mouth has been screwed up. I would never use a Myler bit to start a green horse from day one. I have about eight of them ranging from plain snaffle to hackamore gage combo. I use them as a piece of training equipment (much like a martingale) that is used only for a brief period of time and then goes away.

amastrike
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:11 PM
I have many Myler bits and I like them a lot but in my opinion they are NOT to start a horse. I use them to FIX a horse who's mouth has been screwed up. I would never use a Myler bit to start a green horse from day one.

Why?