PDA

View Full Version : Kid friendly trainer near Holloman AFB in New Mexico....

IrishDeclan
Apr. 8, 2011, 03:06 PM
There is a little girl who rides at my barn whose family is moving to New Mexico soon. We're in the heart of area III and unfortunately don't know much about the eventing scene out there. We're trying to find an appropriate program to get the child into. The little girl doesn't own a horse so a facility with safe lesson horses is a must. Another thing is that the family is German and although the little girl's English has improved dramatically, it's still not 100% so she needs somebody patient. She's currently W/T/C and hopping over small fences. She's been competing in small local hunter/jumper type shows to gain experience and doesn't really need a full fledged show facility at this time. Top priorities are a fun and safe environment with quality instruction. Any suggestions??

BansheeBreeze
Apr. 8, 2011, 04:18 PM
I used to live by there and it is VERY sparse country, let alone to find a decent barn and let alone to find an English one. I have a friend who is in the horse business that is still out there and knows more horse people in that area, I will give her a call and find out for you.

IrishDeclan
Apr. 8, 2011, 04:42 PM
Thank you!! :)

lostkiwi
Apr. 8, 2011, 04:57 PM
I spent 10 yrs at Holloman AFB. It IS a sparse area and althought it has been 15 yrs since I lived in the Alamogordo area, I don't remember any English Barns at all. I have friends that still live and work at the base. I'll ask around.
Maybe in El Paso, Tx. My Brother in law has a kid that rides, but she rides western. Maybe my niece can ask at her barn if they know of an English barn too.

trabern
Apr. 9, 2011, 04:46 PM
I'm in Santa Fe, NM and there is not anything I know of fitting the bill in the portion of the state near Holloman. Las Cruces has some very fun eventing folks, Albuquerque has more, and up here we have a couple. (We are talking folks, not barns.) But all these are hours or more from Alamogordo. :( Ruidoso, up the mountains from Alamo, has a lot of horsey people (QH racing center), but again the drive is quite arduous.

IrishDeclan
Apr. 10, 2011, 09:58 PM
Sounds like this is going to be a difficult search :(

pheasantknoll
Apr. 10, 2011, 10:33 PM
There is a blog called the jumping percheron. I believe this person events out of Alamogordo. Try contacting her.

Also, the folks at Gooseberry Farms ( I think that's it) in Galisteo may know of someone.

Good luck
PKN

trabern
Apr. 11, 2011, 12:19 AM
I am sooo glad pleasant knoll reminds me that http://jumping-percheron.blogspot.com/ is from Alamogordo (Why did I think Las Cruces?).

Also it's Goose Down Farms...I think perhaps?

ksbadger
Apr. 11, 2011, 12:33 AM
I am sooo glad pleasant knoll reminds me that http://jumping-percheron.blogspot.com/ is from Alamogordo (Why did I think Las Cruces?).

Also it's Goose Down Farms...I think perhaps?

Trabern,
You're correct - website is http://goosedowns.com/
There's more details of Area X contacts here: http://www.area-x.org/resources

If memory serves from Mrs KS recent horse search, the Irish Sport Horse barn listed there is well south of Albuquerque so may not be that far from Holloman.

IrishDeclan
Apr. 11, 2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the leads guys!!

Gnep
Apr. 11, 2011, 11:49 AM
contacts to check out
http://lchanm.us/ thats the folks at las cruses, who do the HT

Check with the folks at Goosedowns, Jeffray would be your best source for any info concerning Instructors or Trainers in NM, you can trust her info and judgement any time.

LISailing
Apr. 11, 2011, 04:37 PM
It's been quite a while since I have lived in NM, but you might want to contact either the Swedish Warmblood or Holsteiner breeders that are located just north of Socorro. I'm sure they might be able to give you some direction. As others have said, there isn't much in that area of the state.

Boy, I do miss the Owl Bar's green chili cheeseburgers though.

BansheeBreeze
Apr. 11, 2011, 06:08 PM
There are 2 feed stores in Tularosa(a few minutes from Alamogordo) they might have some leads. There is a H/J barn I just found located in Alto, which is towards Ruidoso, but I believe the facility is up for sale, going to check on that one for myself, as I might be in Ruidoso this summer. If all else fails there is a small fun boarding stable in Ruidoso, I believe they have a girl there who teaches some jumping lessons but not sure.

jetsmom
Sep. 15, 2011, 12:46 PM
There are 2 feed stores in Tularosa(a few minutes from Alamogordo) they might have some leads. There is a H/J barn I just found located in Alto, which is towards Ruidoso, but I believe the facility is up for sale, going to check on that one for myself, as I might be in Ruidoso this summer. If all else fails there is a small fun boarding stable in Ruidoso, I believe they have a girl there who teaches some jumping lessons but not sure.

That's Sharon's place. She's also an "R" H/J judge. Beautiful facility. Linda Allen usually does yearly clinics there.