PDA

View Full Version : intriguing horse and rider aiming for Rolex

mustangsal85
Apr. 8, 2011, 01:21 PM
Who's been reading the featured rider blogs? I just caught up today and Frankie Theriot's blog caught my attention.

Did we know that her horse, Fric Frac Berence, has no right eye? Crazy!!!

I know nothing about this pair so any information is welcome. I am so intrigued and excited to see them go at Rolex. I love unique stories like this!

http://www.rk3de.org/featured_rider.php?id=28

faybe
Apr. 8, 2011, 01:40 PM
There was an article in the USEA magazine or PH (can't remember which!) about this pair that was really good. I will check when I get home and report back.

mustangsal85
Apr. 8, 2011, 02:15 PM
That'd be great!

deltawave
Apr. 8, 2011, 02:33 PM
She's one of my trainer's close friends. I don't get to go this year but will be rooting for them! :yes:

Eventer55
Apr. 8, 2011, 03:35 PM
As an aside, but still on topic, a friend of mine was responsible for getting the rules changed about no one eyed horse could event. She went up to prelim with him after they said she could ride as an experiment. The rules were changed after that.

Good Intentions
Apr. 8, 2011, 07:06 PM
Frankie and Fric are a wonderful combination and make any 3* course look like it's Novice. Frankie also works for the USEA and helps the west coast with there publications and following high profile events. You won't even notice that Fric doesn't have an eye unless you get close enough to see it's not there. The combination has been competing at the Advanced level for some time. It is such a great combination to watch!
Can't wait to route them on in Kentucky!!!

Go FRANKIE & FRIC!!

Tamra Smith

caevent
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:50 PM
I've known Fric (and Frankie!) since he was a preliminary horse with two good eyes. He injured his eye in turnout awhile back and, despite everyone's best efforts, lost his vision there. He eventually had his eye removed last fall. He tilts his head a bit to compensate, but otherwise you wouldn't know the difference. He's an amazingly talented jumper and loves his job. He loves Frankie too; follows her around like a puppy! I really hope everything goes well for them leading up tO Rolex - Fric deserves to finish his career at the top of the game!:D

PhoenixFarm
Apr. 8, 2011, 09:14 PM
I've known Frankie since she was a teeny tiny kid on a naughty naughty pony. I taught her as a wee tad, and seeing the remarkable young lady she has grown in to has been so fun.

(it also makes me feel about 5,000 years old, but that's not her fault)

Her relationship with Fric is so moving--I defy you not to choke up when you see them on course together. I'll be screaming for them at Rolex!

mustangsal85
Apr. 18, 2011, 01:03 PM
Sad day - EN reports that Frankie has withdrawn from Rolex! I was so excited to see them run.

Festivity
Apr. 18, 2011, 01:23 PM
That is unfortunate. They are a blast to watch go. I have had the pleasure of seeing them compete at Woodside. Hope nothing major is wrong.

Sandman
Apr. 18, 2011, 01:41 PM
Noticed yesterday she was no longer on the entry list, but her Rolex blog hadn't been updated. I wonder what happened. Hopefully her horse is OK. I'm sure she made the best decision for him!

Vic_007
Apr. 18, 2011, 09:15 PM
I choked up just reading that! It takes a special horse to trust its rider after adjusting to the loss of an eye... A gil I rode with was in a similiar situation, he horse had a tumour though and had it removed. They competed intermediate etc before he retired.

I will definately be reading more on this pair though! Nice to see someone who works fulltime make it in the big leagues too.