PDA

View Full Version : Individual paddock sizes

EquusMagnificus
Apr. 8, 2011, 01:09 PM
What size would you go for an individual paddock to be used as a long term solution?

I have a horse that will have to be kept on solo turnout, but I am not sure what is an appropriate size for a long term individual paddock since I don't do the solo thing normally...

TIA :)

SAcres
Apr. 8, 2011, 01:11 PM
Depends on if you want grass or not. I keep a mare in solo turnout in a paddock around 150x80, she has plenty of room to run around.

EquusMagnificus
Apr. 8, 2011, 01:18 PM
Well grass will definitely be sacrified... unfortunately. I don't have enough land to make a large enough paddock for a horse to be a) on solo turnout and b) have some real grass to munch on!

Dalemma
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:42 AM
My horses are in gravel paddocks attached to their stalls full time from Sept to May........and then have pasture for 2 to 3 hours am and pm from May to Sept......and in their gravel paddocks when not out on pasture.

My paddocks are of varying sizes but most are about 24' x 100'.
I also have two squares ones that about 80 x 80 and two smaller ones that 24' x 75'.

Here is a picture

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s77/DalEmma2002/Paddocks.jpg

Jaideux
Apr. 9, 2011, 02:32 PM
Knowing why the horse is on solo turnout might be helpful. If it's just to keep him away from other horses, go as big as you want :) If it's to help limit his exercise/prevent him from bombing around, a smaller recommendation would be better.

If he is an easy keeper, a giant pasture will have a lot more available grass. Again, a smaller turnout may be better in that case- he'll naturally keep the grass from growing too lush.

msj
Apr. 9, 2011, 10:00 PM
My 2 sacrifice paddocks are each ~ 110' x 110', located side by side and have a gate between them if I want to open them up larger. I have 2 stalls each that open to each paddock. I feel there is enough room for a horse to have a good canter/gallop without going totally nuts. Also, I do get some grass/weeds that grow. Once I open the large pastures to the horses and only leave the horses on the sacrifice paddokcks at night, the grass comes up reasonably well.

karlymacrae
Apr. 10, 2011, 06:13 PM
As big as possible!! (factoring in cost of good drainage and footing of course - I like crusher dust)

EquusMagnificus
Apr. 11, 2011, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the replies :)

This particular horse needs a different diet and can be hard to catch... Hence... Big, but not too big. ;)

ponymom64
Apr. 11, 2011, 04:20 PM
How big would you recommend for a horse that needs to have his ability to be an idiot limited?

I have one that is constantly pulling shoes in my big fields because he gallops around like an idiot. So looking for a good size that he can roam around and exercise but not big enough to get a good head of steam rolling.

My farrier is about to kill me, since this is the third time I've called in a week and a half to reset a shoe....

karlymacrae
Apr. 12, 2011, 02:55 AM
I'd say around 30x50.. and some bell boots

ponymom64
Apr. 12, 2011, 08:36 AM
I'd say around 30x50.. and some bell boots

Thanks and yes, he does wear bell boots!

winter
Apr. 12, 2011, 01:44 PM
Not to hijack, but this got me thinking....

What is a good size for day turnouts for stabled horses that will likely be individual or with one friend? Likely no grass; dirt or gravel. I want to have a good balance between a sufficient number of paddocks but big enough that they can play a little.

karlymacrae
Apr. 12, 2011, 03:40 PM
Ours range from 80x40 to 45x30. We are cutting 2 of the larger paddocks into 4 (so we can have more in/outs) and they'll be around 25x35. But they also get seasonal pasture turnout (1/4 acre pastures), double stalls and are worked daily.

CLB15
Apr. 15, 2011, 12:25 PM
We built my horse a "solitary confinement" paddock that is 40x40. Our riding area (well, it's a riding area when the stars are aligned and is neither a mud pit or hard as a concrete parking lot) doubles as a turnout is 100x60 and shares a section of fence with a 40'x60' paddock. It's a backyard barn, dirt paddocks (no grass because of limited land), and all of the horses go out solo (though in the past the BO would put 2 horses in the arena if they were quieter beasts & got along well).

They can move around & be fresh, but dont have SO much room that they reallllyyyy get running and hurt themselves. I've been to barns where the standard was 50'x50' individual turnout for 1/2 or full day T/O.