PDA

View Full Version : Studs for a big horse

Duckz
Apr. 8, 2011, 01:24 PM
Forgive me if I use the wrong terms here, I'm a newbie when it comes to studs. The farrier wants to know what size holes to put in the shoes. He says the part of the stud that you screw in the shoe comes in different sizes, and that I may want to go with a wider one for my big draft cross. I looked up studs on Bit of Britain and Smartpak but they only talk about the part of the stud that's between the shoe and the ground. I'm confused :confused: Help?

tarheelmd07
Apr. 8, 2011, 01:52 PM
hmmm...far as I know, the part of the stud you screw into the shoe is a standard size for your average studs (the self cutting ones might be different...never used them before...).

I'd stick with regular-sized stud holes...

Eventer55
Apr. 8, 2011, 02:01 PM
A few years ago I bought a set of studs that I thought would be great for mud and did not use them for a year. When I went t o use them I found out they were larger than the ones I had been using. Apparently, there are studs that have different diameter shafts. . . If my farrier drills for these, the rest of my studs won't fit, so now I'm looking for studs with the same diameter shaft.

Duckz
Apr. 8, 2011, 02:31 PM
A few years ago I bought a set of studs that I thought would be great for mud and did not use them for a year. When I went t o use them I found out they were larger than the ones I had been using. Apparently, there are studs that have different diameter shafts. . . If my farrier drills for these, the rest of my studs won't fit, so now I'm looking for studs with the same diameter shaft.

Yes! That's exactly what he was talking about! I guess he thinks that they'll hold up better on a big horse. Having a hard time finding info on it.

To be honest, my friend has a stud kit she'll give me, and if it's fine to use studs with the standard diameter shaft then I will. The horse is 17.1, 1400 lbs, size 6 shoe.

Duckz
Apr. 8, 2011, 02:34 PM
Side note, I cross posted this on Off Course. Someone commented that they read the title and thought, "you only need one and just to put the mare in a ditch and let the stud do his work from uphill." :lol:

Highflyer
Apr. 8, 2011, 05:58 PM
I think pretty much everyone uses the standard (3/8 ?) inch ones, at least in the US. Remember that it's not just the studs--you will need a different size tap. If you lose/ forget something there will be no nipping over to the tack trailer to get a couple more grass tips. If your horse throws a shoe, the farrier at a show may not be able to drill non-standard holes.

It would be cheaper/ easier to replace your studs a little more often than fool with that, I would think. And honestly, my horse is 16.1 and 1200+, and we MAYBE destroy 3-4 studs a year. (The pointy ones, they get not so pointy.) We lose 3-4 a year, too, but that's because I drop stuff a lot.

When I was a kid we had a 15 hand TB stallion named Rambunctious. He used to have to stand on a bank to breed the big girls!

Bobthehorse
Apr. 8, 2011, 06:32 PM
I have also bought studs that didnt fit in the holes. However, they were cheap, and I have not had an issue buying studs from farriers or tack stores and never specified size, so Im inclined to think that its not so much that studs come in various sizes as studs come in various quality....

I dont think the threaded part would have anything to do with how well they hold up or the size of the horse.

deltawave
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:06 PM
Never found one that wasn't the standard size. Get an old shoe with a standard hole and you can try them out, if there's any doubt.

MichelleNH
Apr. 8, 2011, 09:22 PM
It's a 5/16" hole with a 3/8" tap. Make sure to have your farrier countersink the hole so that the studs are easier to start.