PDA

View Full Version : Building a liverpool.... advice? tips? ideas?

Rio Blanco
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:51 AM
My lovely jumper mare has an issue with liverpools. She will jump them, but not willingly, and her technique over that particular obstacle is quite...um, I guess you could call it unique? :lol:

At the Melanie Smith Taylor clinic I went to last weekend, they had a small version of a liverpool that was more like a flattened box. My mare definately preferred that to the legit liverpools seen at rated shows, and Melanie even said that she didn't think the horses would think of it as a liverpool. I like this idea and plan on building one as it would cost all of $20 to make, but I also want to make one that resembles what we'd see at rated shows as I plan on taking her to 2 "A" rated shows this summer/fall and to clinic with GM, who always includes the liverpool in his exercises.

So...tell me...what works? I want something that can be filled with/hold water. The scarier the better. The more durable the better. I've heard the tarp and pool noodle idea before, but presently she's jumping a tarp held down by 2 large fence post rails and let me tell you how fun it is jumping that when the wind is really blowing..... :eek:

Burgie
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:16 PM
We built this for my trainer:
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii205/oldenburgie/passion/chrissjump.jpg

The liverpool was SUPER easy to build.

From a Home Depot-ish store:
We used a sheet of plywood and cut out the center (think rectangular donut). The frame was 3 or 4inches.

Spray adhesive (to attach foam)

zip ties (to hold down foam to plywood)

From Joanne's:
4in thick foam (cut into 4 in wide strips with serated knife)

boating upholstry (most $$ part)

We cut out the foam strips, glued them to the frame, attached zip ties every 8-12 inches. Then we laid the vinyl out (surface side down) and put the frame/foam contraption in the center. We used a staple gun to secure the vinyl to the frame. don't pull it tight - you want there to be some drape in it. Once filled with water, it pulled the the extra material down and kept it taught in the corners.

It survived the past two winters in our outdoor buried beneath snow and has held up well. I want to say it cost about $60 all together.

kelsey97
Apr. 8, 2011, 02:38 PM
I dug out a rectangular hole approx. 4-5 inches deep and stuffed the blue tarp down in it with PVC pipe instead of noodles.

pony95girl
Apr. 29, 2013, 07:31 PM
How many yard of upholstery did you use?