PDA

View Full Version : 13.3 Hand Pony

momrider
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:12 AM
We tried out a 5 yr. old pony this week for my daughter that we really liked and we are seriously considering buying him. My only fear is that he measured 13.3 hands. His feet could probably use a trim and he wasnt tired when we measured him. Can anyone offer any insight as to how strict the process is to get a pony card. With a good workout and a trim, is there a chance this pony could measure as a medium? If not, should I be concerned that the pony would have to compete as a large at 13.3? My daughter is only doing mini stirrup right now but we would like her to be able to advance on this pony if we buy him.

Mayaty02
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:28 PM
I am no expert on how its done, but I can guarantee there are "medium" ponies out there with that unofficial measurement ;) I was watching some mediums go last week and I swear 75% of them have to be larges! (well maybe that's an exaggeration but when a true medium goes in the ring and everyone swears it must be a small...well you know there is a size issue :cool:)

I would personally not buy a 13.3 pony that had a perm measurement card as such...the jumps are higher, the strides longer, it would have trouble being competitive with top of the line large ponies. On the other hand, a 13.2 h perm card will make it a desirable medium...

sarcam02
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:45 PM
There are a myraid of "how to" measure threads on this board and there are reasonable ways to measure smaller (within reason). If you are buying a young one and you foresee pony becoming a real "divison" pony you do to consider resale which can be impacted. You could lease too.

That said there is a whole other world of lovely small larges out there doing other divisions which are probably just fine for your DD if she is doing mini-stirrup now. She has a few divisions (Short Stirrup - Pre-Child hunters and Childrens Hunter Ponies) to get through before pony hunters.

Good luck

sarcam02
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:49 PM
one last thought - Though it sounds like a great idea for a child to grow with the pony and move up (which I had dreams of for my DD's) it a rare event in my opinion. More likey, the pony she is showing now is not the pony she will show in two years from an ability and temperament (both hers and the ponies) standpoint

Mayaty02
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:59 PM
one last thought - Though it sounds like a great idea for a child to grow with the pony and move up (which I had dreams of for my DD's) it a rare event in my opinion. More likey, the pony she is showing now is not the pony she will show in two years from an ability and temperament (both hers and the ponies) standpoint

Agreed, in most cases, the pony who is suitable at mini-stirrup level is going to be "outgrown" but the rider by the time we're talking about pony hunters. (and I don't necessarily mean outgrown in size). That said, the goal would be to get it to measure smaller, which it doesn't sound like it would be too hard. Do a search, lots of measurement tricks on this board.

sarcam02
Apr. 8, 2011, 01:24 PM
here is one link - also I don't think that pony can get a permanent card til they are six. Check that the pony "really" five because age is very often fudged by a few years.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-295021.html

BAC
Apr. 8, 2011, 04:24 PM
here is one link - also I don't think that pony can get a permanent card til they are six. Check that the pony "really" five because age is very often fudged by a few years.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-295021.html

You're right, pony must be at least 6 years old before it can get a permanent card.

toomanyponies
Apr. 8, 2011, 05:33 PM
Regarding measurements, a couple of things. One, make sure your stick is accurate - measure it with a measuring tape. Many of the wooden ones are off by 1/4 - 1/2 inch. Measure with the poll level with the wither. Hold the stick there for while until they breathe and are relaxed. Make sure they've been trimmed recently. If you do all that, and you're still at 13.3 its never going to be a medium. BUT I bet if you do all that, you will be very close to 13.2, and with some practice it will be 13.2.

But as other posters noted about, size doesnt matter a damn (well I have one friend that says 'size always matters' but thats a different conversation :-) )until you're doing the division. What really counts is "are they safe and appropriate for this child - right now." I find it hard to imagine a 5 year old is appropriate for mini stirrup. Maybe it is quiet enough, but does it do changes? Cause she's going to be sad when she does short stirrup or childrens ponies and her pony doesnt do lead changes and she loses. Are you willing to sell it and move on and get a new one?

If it does do changes and is quiet enough and jumps right around a little course and is appropriate? BUY IT NOW - he's invaluable regardless of height!!!

pm59
Apr. 8, 2011, 06:07 PM
I agree with others, if this pony is going to go do the mini/shorts it is probably NOT going to do the division. And if you tried a 5 yr old on its own turf and it was quiet and did the job GREAT, but make SURE you get a 2 week trial! Take it home and see what happens. We took a DEAD quiet 6 yr old home on Monday and by yesterday she was bucking her way around our ring. My daughter rode her through it but unless your kid is VERY experienced and has NO fear at all you might find you have a totally different pony within a week.
As far as the measurement, I would do the same thing, bring pony home get permission to trim it and then measure it again, if its not a good measure then you need to decide if the other benefits ( quiet,cute, good, fun to ride) make it worth buying now and reselling when you are ready for a division pony. And if you have found the HOLY GRAIL of ponies ( one that will go from mini all the way through the division with no issues) then you have hit the lottery and need to wrap it in bubble wrap so nothing ever happens to it LOL :)))

Kryswyn
Apr. 8, 2011, 06:52 PM
Does this pony have ANY card, say from last year? Has he been measured at all? There is a market for 13.3 saintly ponies, because not every pony is fancy enough for the divisions anyway.

When I trained, and found ponies for clients, I always had an eye toward resale, but it was always more important that the fit of the pony to the child at the time we were looking was the right one. 2 years from now DD will be a whole different rider than she is right now. The 13.3 pony will likely be relegated to practice pony status unless he has the step, the changes, and the look to go farther. Depending where you are you *may* be able to sell him as a medium if you can get a card, but he will never be an 'easy measure' and if he wins a lot, be prepared to be challenged by some show mom who's tired of seeing her kid lose.