PDA

View Full Version : Why haven't shad styles changed?

dab
Apr. 8, 2011, 09:12 AM
Or perhaps they have and I haven't seen them yet?

I HATE the 'exposed' belly look that results from wearing a shad with low/mid rise breeches -- This trend has been out there for several years now, so I'm surprised that the jacket manufacturers haven't come out with a shad that comes down farther in front --

Is the shad market too small to provide incentive to come out with a new style? -- It seems like all of the manufacturers jumped on the bandwagon with different color lining trends ... or when 'plain' black wool changed to black wool with more interesting patterns/textures --

Is there any manufacturer out there making a 'low in front' shad? Are any of the custom shops making them?

HuntrJumpr
Apr. 8, 2011, 09:18 AM
Maybe they just keep waiting for people to get the clue that it isn't a good look and keep a pair of regular rise breeches, at least to wear with shads. :P

Napoles
Apr. 8, 2011, 09:49 AM
I wouldn't have thought my breeches were particularly "high rise", but there is no exposed belly problem with them.

I think if the shadbellies were to have longer waistlines, you would lose a lot of the "look" of them.
Think you'll have to invest in a pair of higher rise breeches! :D Cheaper than a new shad anyway! :)

Giddy-up
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:12 AM
I wear an actual vest under my shad & never have a problem with middle exposure. Even with some low rise breeches.

sarcam02
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:28 AM
Just buy regular rise britches

Dapple Dawn Farm
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:42 AM
Yeah, and do you know how hard it is to find regular rise breeches these days...sheesh!:eek:

sarcam02
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:13 PM
Yeah, and do you know how hard it is to find regular rise breeches these days...sheesh!:eek:

yep - they exist (perhaps not in euro seat) bu they are out there - just search regular rise

danceronice
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:26 PM
I have to search "low rise" if I want to find low rise breeches. (I don't especially, but it's defined in the item description.) Is the issue they're not full seat?

And I agree, if you're going to wear a shadbelly, already an investment purchase, just buy breeches that don't leave a gap.

sarcam02
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:28 PM
I have to search "low rise" if I want to find low rise breeches. (I don't especially, but it's defined in the item description.) Is the issue they're not full seat?

And I agree, if you're going to wear a shadbelly, already an investment purchase, just buy breeches that don't leave a gap.

I found one regular rise euro seat in a trainers choice breech and I am sure there must be more

http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/part_number=F243-07/728.0.1.1

BAC
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:59 PM
I don't see why shads should change, that would ruin the entire look of them. I see too many photos of people with that ugly exposed belly look, and their shirts that don't stay tucked in, its so messy looking. A shad is part of a formal attire occasion and I think you should have one pair of regular rise breeches, if necessary, just for those occasions. I have no trouble finding regular rise breeches, and the Euro seat is not a requirement on those occasions, in fact some traditionalists might consider it inappropriate.

hijumpin1
Apr. 8, 2011, 03:17 PM
I'm sure an "updated" style will come out sooner or later. Some manufacturer will make a coat in a soft shell with zippers and air vents and logos on the sleeves. They will charge $2000. A BNT will wear it in FL. Pretty soon copies will be made, sold in Dover, and people here on COTH will call it the new Must Have, It's so Trendy! I thought padded saddles were odd, GPA's were hideous, and euroseats ugly when they first came out. Pretty soon, it's standard. I don't like the snap collars and the Ariat Volcano boots or whatever they are called.

I like the traditional aspect of the equestrian lifestyle. It's like being grounded in the never-ending stream of change. I used to tell my husband it was ok for me to drop fat cash on a big horsey purchase because it would last for years. Now I'm not so sure. I hate to see it become so faddish. I guess stuff has to change sooner or later...otherwise we would still be wearing string tie ratcatchers and flared breeches.

Kryswyn
Apr. 8, 2011, 03:42 PM
We should change hundreds of years of tradition just for you?

Well, not you specifically :) , but if women (and girls :rolleyes:) want to wear a traditional shadbelly, they should wear traditional rise breeches to go with them with a real hunt vest under it. Understand, I'm already making allowances for stretch breeches and zip up tall boots ;) :) If I were Queen girls wouldn't be allowed to wear shads until they were at least 16, and preferably not until they were out of Juniors!

But sadly, I am not yet Queen of Everything (yet!) and so this edict remains just a fond wish.

danceronice
Apr. 8, 2011, 07:29 PM
I'm with you on shadbellies and normal breeches, but you can have my zippered boots when you pry them off my cold, dead, legs. I had a pull-on pair once and never again. (And they're DRESS boots. Field boots aren't formal and you will never convince me otherwise!)

Sing Mia Song
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:24 PM
I'm sure an "updated" style will come out sooner or later. Some manufacturer will make a coat in a soft shell with zippers and air vents and logos on the sleeves. They will charge $2000. A BNT will wear it in FL. Pretty soon copies will be made, sold in Dover, and people here on COTH will call it the new Must Have, It's so Trendy! I thought padded saddles were odd, GPA's were hideous, and euroseats ugly when they first came out. Pretty soon, it's standard. I don't like the snap collars and the Ariat Volcano boots or whatever they are called.

Where's the "like" button when you need it?

Ajierene
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:56 AM
We should change hundreds of years of tradition just for you?

There is no 100's of years of tradition in women wearing shadbellies. It goes back maybe 50 years.

If you really do not want to break tradition of 100's of years ago, go back to women wearing an appropriate riding habit and sitting side saddle only.

Tex Mex
Apr. 9, 2011, 12:22 PM
I have a long torso and my shadbelly is like a bad crop-top from the 80s. Terrible. I will never buy high or even mid rise breeches because they look awful on me. I guess everyone's body type is different but I would LOVE a longer shadbelly.

danceronice
Apr. 9, 2011, 01:28 PM
I have a long torso and my shadbelly is like a bad crop-top from the 80s. Terrible. I will never buy high or even mid rise breeches because they look awful on me. I guess everyone's body type is different but I would LOVE a longer shadbelly.

There is always custom tailoring.

Ghazzu
Apr. 9, 2011, 04:54 PM
Maybe they just keep waiting for people to get the clue that it isn't a good look and keep a pair of regular rise breeches, at least to wear with shads. :P

This.

RegalBeagle
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:47 PM

LOL, good answer