PDA

View Full Version : Winning the War against prickly pear cactus in the pasture! - Update - I WON!

MunchkinsMom
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:20 AM
I have a new weapon in my arsenal against the cactus and weeds in my pasture.

After 4 years of walking around with a heavy shovel and a bucket, I bought a Garden Weasel Weed Popper:

http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Weasel-95006-Weed-Popper/dp/B0026WEA6A

It is terrific! It weighs less than the shovel, all I needed was a plastic shavings bag to put the cactus into. No bending, no touching the cactus. . . I love it. You can even work it one-handed.

Works great on many of the other weeds in the pasture too.

Alagirl
Apr. 8, 2011, 01:38 AM
lol

I can't get it to grow

maybe picking a spot under the gutter on the north side of the house is causing a little problem?

MunchkinsMom
Apr. 8, 2011, 01:41 AM
lol

I can't get it to grow

maybe picking a spot under the gutter on the north side of the house is causing a little problem?

Maybe, it doesn't do well in full shade and wet. I had some trying to grow in a bucket that I had tossed some into, it had no dirt and no water!

Alagirl
Apr. 8, 2011, 01:48 AM
the ears are edible!

(I know I can't get myself to try them, but you can buy them canned or pickled in the hispanic food section)

Zarafia
Apr. 8, 2011, 03:15 AM
the ears are edible!

(I know I can't get myself to try them, but you can buy them canned or pickled in the hispanic food section)

The fruit is edible too, tastes like strawberries. It's a real favorite of gopher tortises too. So by removing them you might cut down on your farm's attractiveness to them as well.

MunchkinsMom
Apr. 8, 2011, 04:13 PM
The fruit is edible too, tastes like strawberries. It's a real favorite of gopher tortises too. So by removing them you might cut down on your farm's attractiveness to them as well.

Good point! Knocking on wood, I have not had any issues with the tortises here on my farm, but I know other lots here do have them - so we ride carefully on the vacant lots in my neighorhood.

MunchkinsMom
Aug. 20, 2011, 08:30 PM
Thought I would post an update on the war. After years of hand-to-thorn combat, I am happy to report that I have won!

I just mowed the 3 acre section of the pasture that used to hold a bumper crop of the buggers, and not a one was to be seen.

One other pointer. When I moved here, that section of pasture (where the soil is more sandy than the other 6 acres) was sparse with grass, heavy with weeds and cacti. I have been spreading manure topped with either fertilizer, lyme or grass seed (depending on the time of year), and the grass is really coming in beautifully now.

Only other horse owners can relate, I try to share with my husband,and he gives me the deer in the headlights look. I guess he couldn't care less about pasture grass.

Alagirl
Aug. 20, 2011, 08:37 PM
:lol:

CHEERS!!!

well done! :yes:

tasia
Aug. 20, 2011, 09:18 PM
Are you doing this manually because you don't want to use chemicals? That is a lot of work!! Glad you a winning the weed war!!

MunchkinsMom
Aug. 20, 2011, 09:30 PM
Are you doing this manually because you don't want to use chemicals? That is a lot of work!! Glad you a winning the weed war!!

Yes, I am not a fan of chemicals around my animals, and my neighbors have had epic failures using chemical warfare on the cacti here. In other words, they spent a ton of cash on chemicals and someone to apply them, and the cactus did not die.

Before I got the weed popper, my daughter and I would go out armed with a shovel, manure fork and wheelbarrow, and dig them up, I would dig it up, she would scoop it up. It was a nice bonding experience, and a chance to really inspect the pasture close up to find any other issues, like holes, or weed patches.

Now that my daughter is busy with school and band, she doesn't have time to walk the field with me, so it's easier to use the weed popper and a plastic bag, and go out and get my exercise.

tasia
Aug. 20, 2011, 09:49 PM
I have some crabgrass that needs to be popped if your interested :D I'm glad you are winning the war:cool:

Debbie
Aug. 20, 2011, 10:09 PM
I know your feeling of satisfaction -- and it is SWEET! It took me two summers but I have managed to rid my farm of thistles. I'm sure the thistles are little less tenacious than the cacti as my eradication efforts only took the heal of my barn clog -- thousands of times.

When I would ride in the field, I'd scope out all the baby thistles and then drag my poor mare all over digging them out as a cool down. It was way worth it to have this spring come and go without seeing the first thistle. Yay!

MunchkinsMom
Aug. 20, 2011, 10:33 PM
I have some crabgrass that needs to be popped if your interested :D I'm glad you are winning the war:cool:

LOL - sorry, my horses eat the crabgrass, and any in the yard just gets mowed with the rest of the grass.

Debbie, the weed popper works great on the thistles too.