PDA

View Full Version : Getting Re-Classified as an Amateur

HorseLuvr
Apr. 7, 2011, 11:54 PM
OK so here is the deal.....I would like to relinquish my pro status get my amateur status back. I quit getting paid to ride/teach/train/etc. aka received no money related to horses for the past 15 months now. I didn't even ride or see a horse for 7 of those months and the other 8 months I rode sporadically for the fun of it. I did compete for fun in a pro division in a USEF rated show on a friend's horse back in August but received no compensation.

I know the time period is 12 months of receiving no compensation for any equestrian related activity before being able to be re-classified as an amateur. Do I need to wait 12 months from the time I last competed or can I notify the USEF now? I have read the rule book GR1308 but it is not very specific. Thanks in advance!

Trixie's mom
Apr. 8, 2011, 07:12 AM
You can apply 12 months after declaring your amateur status. If it has been 15 months, you are good to go. There is a procedure page on the USEF website.

STA
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:00 AM
2. A professional continues to be such until he/she has received amateur status by a vote
of the Hearing Committee. Any professional who wishes to be re-classified as an amateur
on the grounds that he/she has not engaged in the activities which made him/her a
professional within the last 12 months must notify the Federation in writing.
a. Such person shall submit to the Hearing Committee an amateur reclassification
request which is supported by:
(1) a notarized letter signed by him or her outlining the horse related activities
(using specific dates) which made said person a professional and outlining the
activities performed within the 12 month period (or longer) since professional
activities have ceased,
(2) two or more notarized letters from any Senior active Federation members
stating the relationship with the applicant and outlining the applicant’s activities for
the one year period preceding such written notification advising and testifying that
the applicant has not engaged in any activities which would make him/her a
professional as outlined in GR1306 during that time period,
(3) A processing fee of $50,
(4) a signed amateur certification located on USEF Membership application.

This is the rule copied from the 2011 Rule Book - I think it is very clear. Read (1) what did you do to make you a professional and what have you been doing to make you not a professional. I do not see anything saying you have to take anymore time before you apply.

Anyplace Farm
Apr. 8, 2011, 03:00 PM
FWIW, they reinstated mine before I got two notarized letters to them.

One of my contacts was very slow in getting her letter written for me and I got the Amateur card in the mail before I ever got the second letter.

In my case, as a small ring trainer, I was nowhere on the USEF's radar screen so I don't think there was much of a concern.

CBoylen
Apr. 8, 2011, 05:49 PM
I think the guidelines provided are pretty clear:
http://www.usef.org/documents/rules/GuidelinesAmateurReinstatement.pdf

HorseLuvr
Apr. 9, 2011, 12:56 AM
CBoylen - Thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for.