PDA

View Full Version : How many saddles are too many saddles?

Starda01
Apr. 7, 2011, 11:29 PM
I admit that I have a boot fetish. I wonder if I have a saddle fetish now. I have 3 saddles, one for my students, a Wintec all purpose, one I got for free, a Passier Comet, very old but a goody, and one I bought from eBay that didn't quite work out, a KN Akkord, and finally, a Luc Childeric that I ride in all the time.

But, ... I saw an Equipe Exreme for sale and its new and under $2k. I have ridden in one of these bf, and they are great saddles. I'm so tempted to buy it. But do I need it?

I had thought about buying a second saddle to ride in, since I don't use any of the others, bc my Childeric is showing some wear. Its hot here and I sweat and it shows on the saddle. So I thought, maybe I should have a second saddle to switch off to.

The other saddles are used when a there's a student that can use them. But the Passier will probably pass into the school tackroom, and the Wintec and the KN, will be sold on eBay.

Should I invest in the Equipe? Am I nuts? :)

Starda01
Apr. 7, 2011, 11:32 PM
Oh, I forgot, I recently purchased a PJ. Its too small for me so I can't use it. I bought it from a woman who is struggling financially and has a horse she needs to place, so I thought the best thing I could do would be to buy her some time. [edit]

Rel6
Apr. 7, 2011, 11:39 PM
btw...you can never have too many saddles!!!

klmck63
Apr. 7, 2011, 11:56 PM
Well, how many horses do you have? Are there specific horses that these saddles fit? Think of the other things you could do with the money used to buy this saddle and the money you might get by selling the other saddles. If you can afford to buy it and keep the others then I guess there is no such thing as too many saddles!

rustbreeches
Apr. 7, 2011, 11:59 PM
Honey, they are like shoes!! Clearly your calling in life is to be the Imelda Marcos of saddles. If you can afford it, go for it! Happy buying

Starda01
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:02 AM
I own one horse, although I have been riding other ones. The other saddles are used when I have a student that fits them. I don't use them on my horse. I only use the Childeric to ride my horse.

I love, love my Childeric. It will be buried with me. But I think its showing some wear, that's why the thought of a 2nd saddle came to me. Then I saw the Equipe for a good price, and I'm so tempted.

But you're right, there are certainly other things I could use that money for.

:)

Starda01
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:05 AM
Honey, they are like shoes!! Clearly your calling in life is to be the Imelda Marcos of saddles. If you can afford it, go for it! Happy buying

Love it!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ponyjumper525
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:08 AM
Buy it. Equipe is getting more popular in America and it's price is going to go up! They are SO SO SO comfy :)

And you can never have too many saddles. If by chance you aren't using some, then you need to buy a new horse for the saddle ;)

PNWjumper
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:12 AM
I have 11 saddles. There has never been one moment where I've thought, "gosh, I have too many saddles!" I still end up with horses that need something different than what I have. So my vote goes towards picking up the saddle AND keeping all of your others :D

Simbalism
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:17 AM
I hope it's more than 3 as that is how many I have...

KBC
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:30 AM
How many saddles are too many saddles?

Is this one of those impossible equations?

There is no such thing as to many saddles, Thinks hard, checks for trick questions,

Phones a friend,

Nope that is my final answer:lol:

Across Sicily
Apr. 8, 2011, 01:29 AM
Oh gosh... I have four saddles and one horse.
*sigh*

Only one fits him, of course. And it's the most expensive one. Go figure, right?

I've been attempting (though admittedly, not very hard) to sell two of the others for some time. Thought I had one sold, but she decided it wasn't working for her horse. Ah well, it's a good saddle, and I don't *really* mind keeping it around in case I ever get another horse that has a County back.

Actually I don't mind keeping any of them around, but it does cut into the New Horse Savings Account a bit! Maybe if I get really desperate I'll throw them on eBay.

Napoles
Apr. 8, 2011, 04:18 AM
Humm, we have three dressage saddles, three jumping saddles a suede showing saddle and a side-saddle. :D 4 horses at the moment. :) It's always good to have a selection! :yes:

TarheelJD
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:41 AM
I fear I may be developing a saddle obsession too - I have three saddles and one horse.

One doesn't fit him that well (Passier), but it fits another horse my trainer owns perfectly, so I figure why not keep it for now. It's being put to good use, and you never know what it might come in handy for in the furture.

I have the Stubben I owned when I bought my horse. It works OK for both me and my horse, and it is a good saddle to hack around the pasture in. So, no plans to sell it.

And I recently bought a customized County - love, love, love it. Fits the horse great, fits me great. What more could I ask!

This is why I know I may be developing a problem -- I can see myself caving and getting a Devoucoux at some point down the line. It was my second choice after the County, and it really is a gorgeous saddle.

So, my vote is that if you like the saddle, and you can afford it, buy it. I doubt you'll regret it!

theinstigator
Apr. 8, 2011, 10:29 AM
I have two saddles and no horse. :winkgrin:

I also ADORE my Childeric, and I use that for most everyday riding. I have an older, pretty beat up Stackhouse that was given to me--it doesn't fit me very well but is my go to for putting on babies, anytime I may teach a lesson, and anytime the weather might be a factor. I wouldn't cry if my Stackhouse gets rolled on, set on the ground by a kid, or soaked in the rain, so I keep it around for those adventures. ;)

Bogie
Apr. 8, 2011, 10:34 AM
No, you have no where close to too many saddles. If three were too many, I'd be in trouble! Last time I counted (and I try not to), I had 7 for one horse. Some are left over from my last horse but I'm reluctant to sell them because I'm hard to fit and it would be cost prohibitive to replace them.

mvp
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:55 AM
They are investments in "infrastructure." Just like roads, you amortize their cost over time.

That having been said, you need to pick saddles that work well for you always. After that, having a selection that fit a wide range of horses is worth doing.

Buying and selling often usually means losing money. I don't think saddles hold their value as they should. Some of that comes from the "planned obsolescence" built into a market that has really changed, as well as the increasing emphasis on saddle fit for the horse and the very wide range of horse shapes people in any one discipline are now trying to saddle up happily.

Keep those gem saddles if they will do a job well that's anywhere in your foreseeable future.

Pixie0304
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:04 PM
ahah, love everyone comments.

listen, there is only one thing to say, when it comes to Horses items, there will never be too many!
doesn't matter if its a saddle, bridle, pads, boots,breeches.. ect they can always be reuse, or put away for a while and then start to use it again. if you have the space, and the money, its even better! even without the space or money, US , aka HORSE PEOPLE, will always find that last penny, that last spot in the tack room, to fit new horsey items :D
I dont own a horse right now but go figure, I have pads, saddle, bridles, halters, horses boots, paddock boots, polo wraps, standing wraps, ect... im not using everything right now, and it does take part of my living room but I dont care :lol:
and any time i can, i buy new things :D

furlong47
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:56 PM
I have never owned my own horse and have had as many as 4 saddles at a time :lol:

kahhull
Apr. 8, 2011, 02:18 PM
I recently realized I had 4 saddles and no horse. If you have the space, hang on to them - you never know when you might need that old saddle that the baby might roll on, or the one for the tiny kid riding your horse, or the huge one for when you eat too many brownies. Be prepared. :)

Brigit
Apr. 8, 2011, 03:36 PM
Oh you can never have too many saddles!!!

I have three english school horse saddles and ideally I'd like to get my hands on another one or two really wide ones.

I have my own personal english saddle and a western saddle. My SO has his western saddle.

All of the above have some purpose and do get used buuuuut......

Then there is the sidesaddle "collection". This is my true saddle fetish! I have one very old western sidesaddle dating to 1903, an english sidesaddle dating to 1898 and a more modern english sidesaddle that I most of my riding aside in. I'm always on the lookout for more sidesaddles!

Wayside
Apr. 8, 2011, 03:42 PM
Let's see, I have 11 saddles and two rideable horses. I'm with the "you can never have too many" crowd, obviously :lol:

mypaintwattie
Apr. 8, 2011, 03:43 PM
I have 6 saddles. And one horse. I have the PJ for jumping, the Thornhill Dressage, the Champion Western show saddle dripping in silver, those are my everyday saddles. Then in storage I have the synthetic endurance, the no name Indian made AP that was the first saddle I ever bought and is too sentimental to sell, and the beautiful Crosby XL that is a bazillion sizes to large for me but I am too lazy to actively sell. I still need to find a nice western work saddle.

Did I mention I also have close to 10 bridles and 5 pairs of tall boots and 7 helmets? I loff tack:lol:

leilatigress
Apr. 8, 2011, 03:51 PM
I have 1 saddle and I don't even own a horse. Went to the auction sans DH and was told explicitly not to buy any horses. Not a prb there wasn't a thing out there that suited anyone I knew was looking but I spied a Circuit short flap with a narrow twist and was in excellent condition. Being the heart of Texas darling thing went for $65 dollars. How in the world could I pass that up? Now I have a saddle that fits me and DD and supermodel all by sheer coincidence. I don't count the ML letty I have also that dad keeps at his house.

doublesstable
Apr. 8, 2011, 03:56 PM
btw...you can never have too many saddles!!!

I agree with this quote...

You cannot have too many breeches, or bridles, or saddle pads, or blankets, or bits, or clothes..

This is a bad question to ask me... I LOVE stuff! Or shall we say "equitable assets."

If you like the saddle and it fits, go for it. If you need extra cash you can always sell other saddles you have.

My hubby when he buys a Porsche (that's what he collects) he tells me; if we need money it's an equitable asset and can sell it. Annnnddddd - that's why we have "three" of them sitting in the driveway. :lol:

BeeHoney
Apr. 8, 2011, 04:35 PM
I totally agree, you can never have too many saddles, and I have never regretted buying a saddle. I have a few, and it makes a difference to have a few different styles and widths handy for different horses and different circumstances.

calgirl50
Apr. 8, 2011, 05:11 PM
I strongly agree with Pixie-I too have 3 saddles(seems iike when I have had to get a new one for the horse, I'm still in love with the saddle, so can't give it up.) They smell so good and the leather is so nice! I have an old (like 25 years) Stubben Wotan that I have carried around since I was about 25 hoping to one day get another horse. Along with that I moved my filled trunk across country when I got married 20 years ago, with even the bottle of Koppertox in it! Lucky it didn't spill! Well, we did get a horse but of course needed a new saddle. We got a Marcel Toulouse Padjette which we love, but it was too narrow for my horse once I had him awhile and he muscled up. I must say, that is a VERY nice saddle for the price. Oh, so comfortable!

Getting to the point, I have tried the Equipe and it is very comfortable, and the leather is exquisite. Very pretty. It did not fit us, however. There is an ebay seller who has a bunch of them-I think it's Horseysaddle. So I am riding in a Crosby Centennial now that I got on ebay for $800 and it was almost brand new. I am still trying to break it in, but I love it even if the seat is a bit small. My horse likes it too.

I think right now there are not any distributors of new Equipes in the US, because the ones I found said they were not able to order the saddle in another size or color. They just had what they had. The ebay seller has around 5 Expressions(the less expensive one) and one Extreme. I actually like the Expression better than the Extreme. I found it softer and more comfortable. Maybe that's my old body talking...so I will probably get another saddle before I sell the Crosby-or maybe I won't sell it-I like it, too! My husband thinks I am nuts! Can't tell him too much!

coloredhorse
Apr. 8, 2011, 05:26 PM
There is actually a very simple equation:

Number of saddles you own + 1 = Too many saddles

This formula is also valid for horses, cats, books, etc.

Pirateer
Apr. 8, 2011, 06:47 PM

I like this math.

I have 2 saddles I'm working on selling, have my eye on purchasing another. Haven't ridden since September :( but working on that too.

Starda01
Apr. 8, 2011, 06:56 PM

Yes, but do you observe this formula?

HPFarmette
Apr. 8, 2011, 06:56 PM
I have as many saddle racks as I can fit. Have 2 Passiers (can't bear to ever give up the 16.5, it was my first really good saddle) a Lovatt&Ricketts, and a no-name that has a really wide tree. I have 3 horses so I guess that's not too bad.;)

ridergal63
Apr. 8, 2011, 07:03 PM
you can never have too many saddles and they don't eat or need vet care.

Starda01
Apr. 8, 2011, 07:16 PM
Calgirl50 said: Getting to the point, I have tried the Equipe and it is very comfortable, and the leather is exquisite. Very pretty. It did not fit us, however. There is an ebay seller who has a bunch of them-I think it's Horseysaddle.

Yes, that's the one I'm looking at.

[edit]

Leap N Lope
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:05 PM
8 horses =/= about twice as many saddles ;)

I have a saddle and bit fetish, but the best part is the last 4 saddles, I got total for about the price of ONE of them alone. I'm a pro bargain shopper hehe.

Pixie0304
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:08 PM
I have a [saddle] with Patricia at fine-used-saddles.com

i looked at her website and I am literally drooling !
man, she actually has brand names that I know :D and I soo wish I could buy one from her right now eventhough I dont own a horse right now lol
lots of people have good reviews/experience with them, so I guess they are really good!

do they import from europe or is it just consignment with people who owned the saddles ?

Horseymama
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:32 PM
I was afraid to click on this thread, but I'm glad I did because now I feel so much better! I confess, I have six saddles and I'm thinking of buying another one. I thought I had a problem, but after reading some of the responses it appears I'm actually quite conservative! ;)

Starda01
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:32 PM
Pixie0304 said: do they import from europe or is it just consignment with people who owned the saddles ?

Its consignment.

Starda01
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:34 PM
I was afraid to click on this thread, but I'm glad I did because now I feel so much better! I confess, I have six saddles and I'm thinking of buying another one. I thought I had a problem, but after reading some of the responses it appears I'm actually quite conservative! ;)

Some people on this board are the WORST ENABLERS, and proud of it, I imagine.

Pixie0304
Apr. 8, 2011, 09:23 PM
Its consignment.

nice to see that many people with European, and mostly French saddles :D

Mukluk
Apr. 8, 2011, 10:42 PM
I have one horse and at present two saddles.
I first bought a very slightly used Barnsby Omega because it fit me and the horse and was a steal of a deal. Great for flat work and trail riding. Not so great for jumping.
Next I bought an Ainsley pro national fits me and the horse (this is a big deal as I have a long femur and horse has a flattish back- many saddles I tried curved off her back 4 inches too early). Saddle works for flat and great for jumping.
But wait, I'm not done yet. Might get a real dressage saddle as we get more into eventing and might need one.
I could also see getting a nice western saddle for team sorting and riding in parades with my western riding friends. I've never been in a parade but I think it would be so much fun.
And maybe it would be fun to have one of those Australian stock saddles for trail riding.

Oh no! That would make a total of 5 saddles for only one horse!

three_dayer
Apr. 9, 2011, 04:59 PM
too many saddles? no way. I have 1 dressage saddle and 6 jump saddles. I have one for x-country, one for stadium and one that is for sale, but no one wants it. :( so its just sitting in the basement waiting for the day that it would be used again. I have a stubben that is about 40 years old, I don't ride in anymore, it is more of a collectors item, two saddles that I don't ride in anymore because they have holes in the seat and knee, completely worn out, a saddle that is way too big for me, but I keep it just in case. Saddles are a bit addicting, especially when you can find them on e-bay or tack traders.

xxreddxheaddxx
Apr. 9, 2011, 06:42 PM
since youre in love with buying saddles so much, would you like one of mine?! i have two for sale and they both really need to go!!!

Starda01
Apr. 9, 2011, 07:10 PM
since youre in love with buying saddles so much, would you like one of mine?! i have two for sale and they both really need to go!!!

Sorry, Red Head, but I have done the deed. I bought the Equipe on eBay that I was looking at. Brand new one, Equipe Extreme, for $2k. I just thought it was a really good deal. :)

[edit]

xxreddxheaddxx
Apr. 10, 2011, 08:28 AM
haha no im okay, i already have 3 myself :/

Tuesday's Child
Apr. 10, 2011, 05:07 PM
This thread makes me feel positively thrifty - I only have 2, and one of them is for sale! The most I have owned at one time is 3, so I'm not doing too badly :winkgrin:

jvanrens
Apr. 10, 2011, 06:41 PM
No, you have no where close to too many saddles. If three were too many, I'd be in trouble! Last time I counted (and I try not to), I had 7 for one horse. Some are left over from my last horse but I'm reluctant to sell them because I'm hard to fit and it would be cost prohibitive to replace them.

Just when I was thinking most of the posters were amateurs in saddle collecting, you had to post Bogie! :lol: We have the same nuber, though two of my saddles are pony saddles that my daughter rode in on my mare, but has outgrown (the daughter, not the mare). I have three western (one pony) and three hunter (again one pony/kid size), and a Australian Stock Saddle. I really need to move some leather, but hate to part with any of them, other than the stock saddle and the hunter small since I don't use it. The little western saddle has a home for life! My younger sister showed in it when she was a kid, and my daughter for her first shows, too many memories there and it doesn't take up any space. :winkgrin:

HOOF123
Apr. 10, 2011, 07:46 PM
JUST POSTING- i have a HDR english saddle -i bought it to ride in and i used it each summer when i get a chance to ride to be watch by a person -so it is a 19 inch yea i know oh my wide tree what do you think bought it fron dover i guess it was a bad puchase any comments it is a deep seat and they are hard to find yea i know i should not say that on here and i bought it wide in run to buy a gentle giant and it is wide to fit all horses i guess with to pads i know please comments suggestions..hoof123:D:):yes:

Starda01
Apr. 10, 2011, 07:53 PM
JUST POSTING- i have a HDR english saddle -i bought it to ride in and i used it each summer when i get a chance to ride to be watch by a person -so it is a 19 inch yea i know oh my wide tree what do you think bought it fron dover i guess it was a bad puchase any comments it is a deep seat and they are hard to find yea i know i should not say that on here and i bought it wide in run to buy a gentle giant and it is wide to fit all horses i guess with to pads i know please comments suggestions..hoof123:D:):yes:

Not sure I could comment because I don't know the horse you're using it on. HDR's are good saddles. You could use pads with it. Get someone to help you with the saddle fit for the horse you'll be riding.

HOOF123
Apr. 10, 2011, 08:06 PM
thanks - and yes i always have a good lesson and person of knows what is best for me and horse for sure :D

MintHillFarm
Apr. 11, 2011, 09:21 AM
mvp - "Keep those gem saddles if they will do a job well that's anywhere in your foreseeable future"

I have 2 Butets - one seat patched with Duck tape and a newer one. Love them both :)

Starda01
Apr. 11, 2011, 10:47 AM
mvp - "Keep those gem saddles if they will do a job well that's anywhere in your foreseeable future"

I have 2 Butets - one seat patched with Duck tape and a newer one. Love them both :)

I am up to 6 saddles right now. I have been holding on to my "gem" saddles, but I'm giving up all but one student so I really don't need 2 of the older ones.

Recently I bought a PJ from a lady at our barn who's in financial distress and needs to rehome her horse, who is going blind in one eye. I wanted to help her pay some of the horse's expenses until we can find it a new home. I am selling that one, it's too small for me.

In the process of researching pricing for the PJ, I ran across a brand new Equipe Extreme on eBay, for what I thought was very good price because its a closeout. I've ridden in one and they are seriously nice saddles. I'd been thinking for some time about getting a second saddle since my main one, a Childeric is showing a bit of wear. I love my Childeric, won't part with it, but the leather is soft and shows scuffs easily. I think it might have been a Coach handbag in another life. Sooo, I bought the Equipe. I don't have it yet, but if it doesn't work out, I'll sell that one too, or trade for something else.

I mentioned it to some others at my barn, and they looked at me like I was from Mars. In fact, they seemed almost insulted at the idea. Just because your saddle has a little wear on it, you don't need another one!

Well, I think I do, because I'm afraid the heavy use is going to wear out the Childeric, and its such a lovely saddle that I can't bear the thought of duct tape on it. Anyway, its my money.:p

Eventually, I will get it down to 2 saddles that I will use. Because as much fun as it is to go shopping, I don't really need more than 2. That is, unless I take up xc, or dressage, or go western, or endurance, or .......

kayteedee
May. 4, 2011, 02:08 PM
I have one PDN which is my 28 year old friend. I just paid $220 to have it refurbished as billet webbings tore through an accident with a youngster misjudging his space, and a door latch catching the girth. I could buy one cheaper on eBay, but it's the saddle I've had since I was 11.

One Liberty (made in England) which is a great schooling saddle for young horses as I bought it on eBay, stiff leather and unbroken-in, for my late hubby 7 years ago for $100, so I don't care if a youngster scrapes it against a wall... It STILL squeaks, a lot, so it teaches my young guys not to care about that. The quality is only medium, but it actually fits a lot of horses fairly well.

Now I'm searching for an upper level jumping saddle for me, AND a pony saddle for my kids. Wish me luck! I'm having a very hard time choosing, but I don't want to end up another Amelda Marcos of saddles!

trabern
May. 4, 2011, 03:12 PM
Too many saddles is x+2, where x variable and is the number of saddles I own right now. (There's always room for 1 more, right?)

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
May. 5, 2011, 12:44 AM
I own 5 saddles (an antares, a CWD, a devon, a zaldi and an hermes), 1 horse and 1 pony.

One 17.5, three 17, one 16.5.

The little Devon is for sale. It was sold as a 17, measures 17, but is stamped 16.5 and has the flaps to go with it. Being 5'8 that didn't work out, but when I bought it I was too desperate to send it back for a refund, now that I don't need it it needs to go away.

I'd sell the Hermes too, but I'm not really trying. The Zaldi is beat to death, but it's functional and I never feel bad about leaving it out, wearing jeans in it or setting it in the dirt. I use it on the pony as the pony's barn is less than upscale and nothing stays clean there. The CWD was a replacement for one that got tossed around by the airline and the tree broken... it's brand new... used three times an the Antares is what I use on my jumper.

If you could need a saddle of that type in the next year and you can afford it buy it!

Ltc4h
May. 5, 2011, 09:43 AM
Wow, you guys need to go shopping, in my tackroom as of today.
And admittly some in the back corner haven't been used in awhile, but aside from soap/conditioner they don't cost me anything.
And would buy another "good deal" in a heartbeat.

Of coarse I can match that w/ 16 complete bridles, 138 bits, and misc. extras-leathers, breastplates, martingales, etc...

Big_Grey_hunter
May. 5, 2011, 11:56 AM
I feel so left out :( One saddle, two horses. But, I'm trying another for horse #2 tomorrow

ex-racer owner
May. 5, 2011, 11:54 PM
:lol: I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread to read. I just received my yearly bonus and they also tacked on back pay that was due to me. $XXXX check burning a hole in my pocket! Now I realize that I am behind the pace from everyone else with only two saddles for one horse, a Stubben Edelweiss that no longer fits either one of us (but I love it as it sits on a saddle stand in my house) and a Bates Caprilli cc that isn't working out as well as I had hoped. What's a girl to do?

****runs off to check out ebay****:D