PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Book of Exercises for Training the Young Warmblood

overthemoon
Apr. 7, 2011, 07:51 PM
A bit of a spin off from the frame thread...

There were some books mentioned there, so I'm curious as to what everyone's favourite exercise books are for young warmbloods.

Go nuts :)

gottagrey
Apr. 7, 2011, 11:44 PM
I like Pippa Funnel's Training the Young Horse- she has a book and did have a video - I

my_doran
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:18 AM
nother vote for pippa book above..good book as i have read it more then once.i will have to get back too you on other once as nothing coming to me at the moment.

overthemoon
Apr. 9, 2011, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Any others?

RugBug
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:30 PM
Not sure that training the young warmblood is much different than training the young horse, so....

seeuatx
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:40 PM
Agreed on Pippa's book. I have that and find it very useful.

Also:

Klimke's Basic Training of the Young Horse (http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Training-Young-Horse-Competition/dp/0851319270/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302399359&sr=1-1)
and
Klimke's Cavaletti (http://www.amazon.com/Cavalletti-Revised-Schooling-Horse-Ground/dp/0851317553/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302399359&sr=1-4)

And if they are jumping already I find the 101 Jumping exercises and Jimmy Wofford's Gymnastics book very useful.

overthemoon
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:40 PM
Um, sorry that my title was too specific? If you have fantastic books about training Quarter Horses, by all means...

I suppose I meant more WB/Sport Horse geared disciplines... i.e., hunters, jumpers. Not sure of the relevance of your post.

RugBug
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:56 PM
Um, sorry that my title was too specific? If you have fantastic books about training Quarter Horses, by all means...

I suppose I meant more WB/Sport Horse geared disciplines... i.e., hunters, jumpers. Not sure of the relevance of your post.

My point was that training a young horse is pretty much the same across breeds in the intial stages and then become discipline specific. Rarely does it become breed/registry specific. I just thought it was a weird question.

What level is the horse at? Not yet backed, 30 days, 90 days, w/t/c, small jumps?

For instance, I would recomment Linda Allen's book 101 Jumping Exercises but if the horse only has 30 days on it, it wouldn't be the best recommendation.

overthemoon
Apr. 9, 2011, 10:11 PM
Looking for books for exercises for young warmbloods/sport horses in the jumper discipline. But, there are also many great exercises that are geared more towards hunter and/or dressage disciplines, hence the general question about young warmbloods.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I always love reading new material. :)

LowerSaxony_Jumper
Apr. 10, 2011, 11:56 AM
http://www.fnverlag.de/shop/index.php/cat/c34_English-titles.html

there you can find most translation of german books

and i highly recommend:
-The book(s) of Michel Robert (I just read the first one, and loved it....so many Aha-moments)
-Principles of riding book 1 and 2
-Training the modern Jumper- Elmar Pollmann-Schweckhorst (a young Classic)
-101 for Jumpers....

LookmaNohands
Apr. 10, 2011, 02:32 PM
"The Ultimate Horse Behavior and Training book" by Linda Tellington-Jones.

Good for all horses!
:yes::yes::yes: