PDA

View Full Version : My big ole dressage horse loves to jump. PICS

dalpal
Apr. 7, 2011, 07:20 PM
This is my rehab boy...got him last year from a good friend. His feet were an absolute mess...my farrier put him back together.

For fun, my friend/hunter trainer jumps him for me once a week. We set up a 2'6 oxer for him yesterday....I think he misses his days as a Level 5 Jumper.

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd129/grayboomerang/?action=view&current=katiegardel3.jpg

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd129/grayboomerang/?action=view&current=katiegardel3.jpg#!oZZ3QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2 F%2Fs222.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fdd129%2Fgraybo omerang%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3Dkatiegardel .jpg

EquineLVR
Apr. 7, 2011, 07:47 PM
WOW he looks great.. maybe you should do somel low level jumping with him!

dalpal
Apr. 7, 2011, 07:49 PM
I just found this video by accident on youtube.....This is him back in 2005.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=lb5QJG8fpao&vq=medium

dalpal
Apr. 7, 2011, 07:50 PM
WOW he looks great.. maybe you should do somel low level jumping with him!

That's what we hope for in the future. My friend rides him right now just to get him back in the swing of things. He's got such a big jump, I'm not sure I'm ready for him yet. I play around on my little TB.

Summit Springs Farm
Apr. 7, 2011, 08:05 PM
he looks like a nice horse.

kelsey97
Apr. 7, 2011, 09:02 PM
What a nice boy! Was that vid taken in Raleigh?

LuckOfTheIrish91
Apr. 7, 2011, 09:07 PM
Yay Raleigh....Duke Childrens horse show if i am seeing correctly! Used to be one of my favorite shows!

doublesstable
Apr. 7, 2011, 10:42 PM
Nice that he has you!! He's really cute... have fun!

KateKat
Apr. 7, 2011, 10:59 PM
Wow he's lovely! What's his story?

HappyHorselover
Apr. 7, 2011, 11:28 PM
Wow he's lovely! What's his story?

Yea, I wonder too - what were you rehabbing him back from?
He's great!

dalpal
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:59 AM
Thanks guys for all the kind words.

He has high/low syndrome with the right being the high foot.

Long story short, my friend was in grad school/trying to sell him/had him in full training and his feet just went to hell.

Her vet diagnosed him with a suspensory injury two years ago..so he was kept in a stall for about a year, but he would never come sound.

Bless her heart, she was in grad school, and spending money like crazy to several veterinarians and no one could come up with a definite answer...they just kept experimenting.

One day she told me that she had decided to just give him away, she just didn't have the time or resources anymore. I went home and talked to husband and he said YES to taking him.

My farrier looked at the xrays that we had and said.."I can fix this"...the front right was so out of alignment that the navicular was rubbing against another bone (the details are hazy, so I cannot remember all the details) I went to the previous owner and told her..."Look, my farrier thinks this horse can come sound, do you still want to do this" and her answer was yes..she needed to concentrate on her studies.

First thing I did was just turn him out...I figured if he was going to break, he was going to break...nothing I could do was going to stop that.

Farrier started with a vet and xray machine...started with McClain wedge pad for the first three shoeings last February.

June, we rexrayed and the negative axle was now positive...so we could stop using the pad.

Over the summer, we had a set back..so vet came out, injected fetlock....and horse was better, but not 100 percent.

Horse managed to yank a shoe midsummer...so my farrier and I came to the consensus that it was time to just take the shoes off. We started in Boa boots and the first day I got on him I felt a huge difference...he was sound and free in his movement!!!!!!! When I called my farrier, we realized that this horse's entire problem was coming from the front contracted right heel. So we left him barefoot from September to December...although he had ouchy days on the hard ground...his feet were looking so much better. My farrier and the barn farrier would alternate trimming him, so he was getting trimmed every two weeks.

In January we decided to put the shoes back on....Farrier only wanted to put four nails, didn't want to cram his feet up. Horse was a superstar....happy...going barefoot had made him use his right heel again, so now he wasn't just tip toeing on the right toe.

Farrier came back at the beginning of March (we were able to go 8 weeks for once, as no one's feet were growing)...and took off the shoes....he was really excited because there was absolutely NO bruising under the shoe. Hoof was totally clean. So we have been sticking to four nails in the hoof wall. And now with the grass, we are back on a four week schedule.

So that's his story. Fantastic horse, shown through 4th level dressage/they were schooling PSG and his owner was showing him in the jumpers.

So that is the story. It has been an educational lesson for me in feet. Granted, he may go unsound tomorrow..who knows. But it seems that we have finally figured out the mysteriously culprit.

ParadoxFarm
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:47 AM
Aww...great comeback story. Nice to hear. And good for you for giving a wonderful horse a second chance. He's awesome!

Calhoun
Apr. 8, 2011, 01:40 PM
Wow, that's quite a story. Good for you, more important, good for the horse.

doublesstable
Apr. 8, 2011, 02:32 PM
Thanks guys for all the kind words.

He has high/low syndrome with the right being the high foot.

Long story short, my friend was in grad school/trying to sell him/had him in full training and his feet just went to hell.

Her vet diagnosed him with a suspensory injury two years ago..so he was kept in a stall for about a year, but he would never come sound.

Bless her heart, she was in grad school, and spending money like crazy to several veterinarians and no one could come up with a definite answer...they just kept experimenting.

One day she told me that she had decided to just give him away, she just didn't have the time or resources anymore. I went home and talked to husband and he said YES to taking him.

My farrier looked at the xrays that we had and said.."I can fix this"...the front right was so out of alignment that the navicular was rubbing against another bone (the details are hazy, so I cannot remember all the details) I went to the previous owner and told her..."Look, my farrier thinks this horse can come sound, do you still want to do this" and her answer was yes..she needed to concentrate on her studies.

First thing I did was just turn him out...I figured if he was going to break, he was going to break...nothing I could do was going to stop that.

Farrier started with a vet and xray machine...started with McClain wedge pad for the first three shoeings last February.

June, we rexrayed and the negative axle was now positive...so we could stop using the pad.

Over the summer, we had a set back..so vet came out, injected fetlock....and horse was better, but not 100 percent.

Horse managed to yank a shoe midsummer...so my farrier and I came to the consensus that it was time to just take the shoes off. We started in Boa boots and the first day I got on him I felt a huge difference...he was sound and free in his movement!!!!!!! When I called my farrier, we realized that this horse's entire problem was coming from the front contracted right heel. So we left him barefoot from September to December...although he had ouchy days on the hard ground...his feet were looking so much better. My farrier and the barn farrier would alternate trimming him, so he was getting trimmed every two weeks.

In January we decided to put the shoes back on....Farrier only wanted to put four nails, didn't want to cram his feet up. Horse was a superstar....happy...going barefoot had made him use his right heel again, so now he wasn't just tip toeing on the right toe.

Farrier came back at the beginning of March (we were able to go 8 weeks for once, as no one's feet were growing)...and took off the shoes....he was really excited because there was absolutely NO bruising under the shoe. Hoof was totally clean. So we have been sticking to four nails in the hoof wall. And now with the grass, we are back on a four week schedule.

So that's his story. Fantastic horse, shown through 4th level dressage/they were schooling PSG and his owner was showing him in the jumpers.

So that is the story. It has been an educational lesson for me in feet. Granted, he may go unsound tomorrow..who knows. But it seems that we have finally figured out the mysteriously culprit.

:)

Good for you!

I have a big 18 hand guy with a similar hoof story.... but there was "riding" abuse involved with mine too...

And I wanted to add - -

They ALL may go unsound tomorrow - enjoy today!

Bogie
Apr. 8, 2011, 03:44 PM
He looks like he'd be a blast!