PDA

View Full Version : Kissy Kiss is in her new home! April 21 -- Happy Birthday!

JER
Apr. 7, 2011, 06:52 PM
Kissy Kiss CANTER listing (http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3746:kissy-kiss&catid=56:s-ohio-trainer-listings)

Kissy Kiss pedigree (http://www.pedigreequery.com/kissy+kiss)

Why does her name sound familiar? Because in 2009, I started this thread (http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225035) on her, which swelled to 18 pages.

The mare returned to racing and broke her maiden at age 10, but now she's listed on CANTER Ohio for $500.

She's an attractive mare (preferred the turf) with a great pedigree for sport.

Someone go get her. :)

K.
Apr. 7, 2011, 07:37 PM
OMG... I love this horse... I want her..
hmm... how do I get her from Ohio to Ontario?

IFG
Apr. 7, 2011, 08:13 PM
Too bad she is in Ohio, I do have room in MA.

JER
Apr. 7, 2011, 08:51 PM
IFG, the owner's contact number is a central Mass #. Worcester, perhaps?

Maybe you're closer than you think...

IFG
Apr. 7, 2011, 08:55 PM
IFG, the owner's contact number is a central Mass #. Worcester, perhaps?

Maybe you're closer than you think...

You are bad, and my husband may kill me if I call. But, he did say that my horse looked lonely, let me think about it....

gold2012
Apr. 7, 2011, 11:19 PM
She looks a bit sad. But she is pretty.

IFG
Apr. 8, 2011, 07:15 AM
JER,

I e-mailed. Trainer is in MA, but horse is in OH. I need a project, but it really should wait a year or two. Fate seems to have kept me in line here. Keep looking for me then.

Thanks,

Lany

Napoles
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:00 AM
Kissy Kiss CANTER listing (http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3746:kissy-kiss&catid=56:s-ohio-trainer-listings)

God, she looks poor. Poor thing. :(

Fred
Apr. 8, 2011, 10:04 AM
poor mare. JER - you buy her and ship her to me.:yes: I have room here.

foxhavenfarm
Apr. 8, 2011, 10:24 AM
God, she looks horrible! We would love to have her down here though - wow, what a pedigree!

Barnfairy
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:04 AM
If anyone calls be sure to keep any judgemental thoughts on this one to yourself.

I do hope someone can scoop her up. Good luck.

JER
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:25 AM
JER - you buy her and ship her to me

Or you buy her and ship her to me :)

I did have someone offer to pick her up for me. My usual excuse is I don't need another mare but...

scubed
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:16 PM
I'll buy her if someone else deals with the shipping and posts regular updates

sar2008
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:20 PM
She's sure a cutie. She looks like crap, but certainly nothing some good grass, hay and grain can't fix.

I just sold TWO so I have the space.......hummmmm......I have someone that owes me a favor as well, and has a truck and trailer. How far is the OH track from Northern VA?? Enablers?? Any enablers out there?

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:44 PM
She's sure a cutie. She looks like crap, but certainly nothing some good grass, hay and grain can't fix.

I just sold TWO so I have the space.......hummmmm......I have someone that owes me a favor as well, and has a truck and trailer. How far is the OH track from Northern VA?? Enablers?? Any enablers out there?

It's not that far....depends on where in VA. But from Leesburg I bet it is only about 7-7.5 hours (roughly 400 miles). Maybe faster depending on how they drive ;)

Hollywood
Apr. 8, 2011, 01:04 PM
Holy Smokes, I remember the original thread quite well, and this mare was stunning. Poor girl, I hope someone goes to get her!

sar2008
Apr. 8, 2011, 01:07 PM
I emailed. We will see if I get a response :D

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 8, 2011, 01:44 PM
I emailed. We will see if I get a response :D

I also bet it wouldn't be too hard or expensive to find her a ride to CharlesTown....then she would be really easy to pick up there.

sar2008
Apr. 8, 2011, 01:49 PM
:yes: that would be very convenient!! My barn is directly off rt. 9, right over the VA state line :yes:

moonriverfarm
Apr. 8, 2011, 02:00 PM
Coming off her racing career looking like that?? Someone's balls should be yanked off. What a tragedy. Hope someone gets her, she looks sweet.

sdfarm
Apr. 8, 2011, 02:32 PM
Beulah seems to be the end of the road for alot of TBs around here. The people who have her are most likely in worse condition and giving her the best they can.

OTTB FTW
Apr. 8, 2011, 04:38 PM
This mare bled, fell, and walked off in a fall race at Suffolk. She had reportedly done this once more as well. I had thought someone bought her from CANTER NE, didn't realize she went on to race more. LOVELY mare, was quite beautiful. If Suffolk Downs opens for racing this year (haven't been keeping up with it), she may find her way back to MA if not sold. I'm sorry to see her in such poor shape. If only I could go get her.... but no space.

Black Points
Apr. 8, 2011, 06:33 PM
Wow, this mare was gorgeous when she was on CANTER last year. I really wish I had room. She needs a good home and some TLC.

Beulah looks to be in/near Columbus, OH. I've emailed a horse friend near there to see if she could rescue KK. I pray she finds a good home soon.

Mary in Western NY
http://www.bpequine.com

K.
Apr. 8, 2011, 09:23 PM
Can anyone recommend a shipper? Ohio to Ontario?

LauraR
Apr. 8, 2011, 10:45 PM
I will see Kissy tomorrow morning. Is there any more information I can provide to help her find a good home [I'm a CANTER Ohio track volunteer]? The trainer, David, said he's from Boston and has just two horses this meet at Beulah (Kissy and Stole the Quarters). He's hoping to find them both new homes by the end of the meet (Derby day). Laura

twistoffate
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:08 PM
Columbus isn't far from me if someone needs help shipping her I can take her part of the way depending on where she's going

Glenbaer
Apr. 9, 2011, 07:37 AM
Twistoffate and Laura, you both have PMs. Consider KK to have a home, and possibly Stole the Quarters, too. (KK's fate can be attributed to the incredible heart and compassion of a CotH member, and hopefully the same goes for StQ with another incredible CotH member.)

K.
Apr. 9, 2011, 11:54 AM
I am so glad she found a home.
I wish I hadn't seen this, I am in the middle of exams and final papers, if only I had been able to go and get her.
Thank you to whoever is taking her home. She seems like a special horse.

AppJumpr08
Apr. 9, 2011, 12:17 PM
Twistoffate and Laura, you both have PMs. Consider KK to have a home, and possibly Stole the Quarters, too. (KK's fate can be attributed to the incredible heart and compassion of a CotH member, and hopefully the same goes for StQ with another incredible CotH member.)

:D:D:D:D:D:D

This makes me so happy!! I've been following her for a couple years now, and kept hoping she'd eventually find her way to a good home away from racing. She's a lovely girl and certainly deserves the best!

OTTB FTW
Apr. 9, 2011, 02:06 PM
YAY!!

Fred
Apr. 9, 2011, 02:58 PM

This is wonderful news!! thank you to everyone who is helping KK!!
Please,please keep us posted.
I am hoping for a happy new life for this sweet mare.

trabern
Apr. 9, 2011, 04:37 PM
Yes please keep us posted. Kissy kiss really grabbed my heartstrings. If anything goes sideways in her current placement let me know. Shipping to NM from Beulah, I just found out trying to set something up to get Kissy Kiss, is not so difficult as I thought. I'd bring her out here if she weren't already taken.

Glenbaer
Apr. 10, 2011, 07:05 AM
Thanks to LauraR's reporting and twistoffate's willingness to pick up pretty girl, Miss Kissy Kiss should be making her way here by the end of the week. JER will be taking on the lovely mare, so this will be an excellent addition to her family of fillies. :)

OTTB FTW
Apr. 10, 2011, 08:07 AM
If all goes well, hopefully JER will make us some babies!

Congrats!!!

mbj
Apr. 10, 2011, 09:17 AM
Stole the quarters is by a Skip Trial stallion. One of the absolutely nicest OTTB's we had was that breeding. Cute,super sound,charming temperament,and really nice jumper.Feet were thin walled but held up very well and he never lost a shoe.Everyone loved him.

MintHillFarm
Apr. 10, 2011, 09:27 AM
God, she looks poor. Poor thing. :(

Wow, she sure does...

She will do well in her new home though:)

vineyridge
Apr. 10, 2011, 09:32 AM
Thanks to all y'all for getting this girl to a wonderful home. She's hit high cotton!

Black Points
Apr. 10, 2011, 12:38 PM
Thanks JER for giving KK a good home and condolences to you on your loss of Dekorum. Maybe KK will be your silver lining.

Thanks also to glenbaer and others for setting this up. I hope "Quarters" also finds a home. I only own one OTTB but I love him and wish I had room for more.

Mary in Western NY
http://www.bpequine.com

IFG
Apr. 10, 2011, 04:10 PM
JER, seems like fate. Good luck with her!

ryansgirl
Apr. 10, 2011, 04:29 PM
THANK YOU!!!! I am so glad she FINALLY will be going to a good home!! I was the one who originally took her listing for CANTER NE - she looked nothing like the pictures posted here :mad:. That mare is a sweetheart and never stopped trying. She has been through enough since she left Suffolk Downs and now knowing racing is behind her and a good home is ahead of her brings a tear to my eye :sadsmile:.

Again - thank you :):sadsmile::)!!

jenm
Apr. 10, 2011, 04:31 PM
Coming off her racing career looking like that?? Someone's balls should be yanked off. What a tragedy. Hope someone gets her, she looks sweet.

My sentiments exactly.

JER
Apr. 10, 2011, 07:10 PM
I'm waiting to hear if this all worked out.

It's interesting to tell your friends that you're adopting an 11 year-old off the track.

Friend: How old is she?

Me: She turns 11 next week.

Friend: 11. Where is she?

Me: On the track.

Friend: :eek:

On the plus side, I'm sure the mare trailers well, adapts to new environments, is easy to handle and has seen it all by now.

I want to put a good word in here for Stole the Quarters. This is a really nice, powerful mare. The photos don't do her justice -- check out the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGbFQd_7C_c). She looks like she has an independent mind, too. :)

Carolinadreamin'
Apr. 10, 2011, 07:46 PM
JER, I'm hoping that she will bring you all the healing and happiness that you are giving her.

trabern
Apr. 11, 2011, 11:29 AM
I am so happy for Kissy Kiss and cannot wait to see pics of her back in condition and happy. Hoping for the best for Stole the Quarters...another horse that has a record that shows she has a lot of try.

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 11, 2011, 11:46 AM
I'm waiting to hear if this all worked out.

It's interesting to tell your friends that you're adopting an 11 year-old off the track.

Friend: How old is she?

Me: She turns 11 next week.

Friend: 11. Where is she?

Me: On the track.

Friend: :eek:
On the plus side, I'm sure the mare trailers well, adapts to new environments, is easy to handle and has seen it all by now.

I want to put a good word in here for Stole the Quarters. This is a really nice, powerful mare. The photos don't do her justice -- check out the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGbFQd_7C_c). She looks like she has an independent mind, too. :)

Let us know when you know! KK is a lovely mare. I'm sure she will make either a nice broodie or a very nice sport horse (or both). That Stole the Quarters mare is lovely as well. Good mover and I bet she will jump well. To bad I just took on another horse and have no room and no time.

Fingers crossed both these girls land safely.

JER
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:15 PM
:):):):)

It's on!

None of this would be possible without the kind folks of COTH.

EasternMkt PM'd me on Thursday to tell me KK was back up at CANTER.

twistoffate offered to help with shipping.

LauraR went out to Beulah to see her and talk to the trainer.

Glenbaer will be taking in KK and caring for her.

And EVERYONE encouraged me to get this mare.

Thanks! :)

Blugal
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:55 PM
Congrats!

Barnfairy
Apr. 11, 2011, 02:25 PM

It's on!
I'm so glad she'll be going to a good home, and looking forward to updates.

RacetrackReject
Apr. 11, 2011, 02:27 PM
Cheer!!! Good on you JER.

foxhavenfarm
Apr. 11, 2011, 03:07 PM
:D Awesome! Congrats JER!

LauraR
Apr. 11, 2011, 03:15 PM

It's on!

Congratulations and thank you!!! It makes it so much easier to go to the track every week when horses find wonderful new homes through the listings.

I've met Kissy twice and I think she would have let me stand there and rub her head indefinitely... :)

Looking forward to updates and "after" pictures.

wolfmare
Apr. 11, 2011, 03:46 PM
Wonderful! :D Double wonderful that you are going to be in her life, JER. :D

Lone
Apr. 11, 2011, 05:22 PM
So excited for you JER, and especially for KK, sounds like she really deserves a great home. Can't wait to see the 'after' pictures and hear how she does!

ryansgirl
Apr. 11, 2011, 05:30 PM

It's on!

None of this would be possible without the kind folks of COTH.

EasternMkt PM'd me on Thursday to tell me KK was back up at CANTER.

twistoffate offered to help with shipping.

LauraR went out to Beulah to see her and talk to the trainer.

Glenbaer will be taking in KK and caring for her.

And EVERYONE encouraged me to get this mare.

Thanks! :)

You have made my day!!!! Thank you!!! You will love her - I did when i first met her - would have taken her myself but I already have two and getting a third wasn't possible. I checked up on her everytime I was at the track... she is just a classy TB who was bred and raised by a guy who takes great pride in his horses :yes:. She was just stunning back then... but she changed hands and enough said :mad:. So a HUGE THANK YOU for giving this mare a home she truly deserves!! :):)

skip916
Apr. 11, 2011, 08:41 PM
THIS is the kind of story that makes me keep the faith in horse people! So happy for KK.

Did Stole the Quarters find a home yet? I have a friend looking that might just love her "spirit'!

ETA- nvrmnd- just found her listing!

ryansgirl
Apr. 11, 2011, 09:05 PM
Just a little note on why her name is what it is... when I took her original listing way back when her breeder/owner/trainer told me he named her "Kissy Kiss" because when she was a baby she liked to give everyone kisses :). How cute is that :yes::):yes:...

wanderlust
Apr. 11, 2011, 09:06 PM
Congrats, JER, very happy for you and KK. :)

JER
Apr. 11, 2011, 09:21 PM
Just a little note on why her name is what it is... when I took her original listing way back when her breeder/owner/trainer told me he named her "Kissy Kiss" because when she was a baby she liked to give everyone kisses :). How cute is that :yes::):yes:...

Oh no! Glenbaer will have her hands full.

My 5 year-old, Nina, who Glenbaer trains, likes to give hugs. To everyone she sees.

And now she'll have Kissy Kiss trying to kiss everyone, too.

:lol::lol:

AppJumpr08
Apr. 11, 2011, 09:29 PM
Oh no! Glenbaer will have her hands full.

My 5 year-old, Nina, who Glenbaer trains, likes to give hugs. To everyone she sees.

And now she'll have Kissy Kiss trying to kiss everyone, too.

:lol::lol:

Awww!!! That's adorable.

JER, I'm so thrilled she's coming to you - can't wait to see her updated pictures!!

Glenbaer
Apr. 12, 2011, 08:00 AM
Did Stole the Quarters find a home yet? I have a friend looking that might just love her "spirit'!

At this moment, I'm technically taking on SQ. However, I'm very willing to let another individual take her on, especially someone who will love the "spirit" and independence. She's something special, and anyone who can enjoy that will love her. I'm going to have my hands full with a barn of kissy-huggy horses! :lol:

Actually, I'm trying to convince JER that SQ should become one of hers, as well. Can you imagine a breeding program with Kiss, SQ, and Zydeko (the dam of Dekorum, Zizi, and Nina)? That's a perfect road map to what the future of eventing SHOULD be! (And, if nothing else, she'll have a group of warm and fuzzy fillies who provide affection whenever called upon. :) )

So, if anyone is interested in taking on SQ, let me know as soon as you can, and I'll let the owner know. I do have space if you'd like to keep her here for the summer, I just can't (comfortably, sanely) gamble the expense of another personal horse.

Again, pedigree:
http://www.pedigreequery.com/stole+the+quarters

Trotting video from last week:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGbFQd_7C_c

frugalannie
Apr. 12, 2011, 08:46 AM
Class will out...and you, JER and your team of enablers (Glenbaer, top of the list, EasternMkt, twistoffate and LauraR) are all a very classy bunch.

Long time ago when I lost a dear little dog, a friend sent me a card that said "When your heart hurts, it's time for a puppy". WRONG! When your heart hurts, it's time for another OTTB.

Great mare band you're putting together, JER. Please come up with a prefix so we can follow the babies.

K.
Apr. 12, 2011, 10:48 PM
uhoh...
KK pulled at my heart strings... but SQ is super cute too!
Maybe they could come up together? JER is located up here somewhere, right?

uhoh.. what am I thinking?

Glenbaer, I'll sleep on it, and finish exams.
Then I'll make a decision.

JER
Apr. 13, 2011, 01:23 AM
Maybe they could come up together? JER is located up here somewhere, right?

Although I can usually be found north of the 49th parallel, the mares are going to Glenbaer's in NC, where my younger mares live.

I hope they're nice to Kissy Kiss. The 6 year-old, who is pony-sized, is a bit of a bossy-boots.

:)

Glenbaer
Apr. 13, 2011, 06:43 AM
As of last night, I'm officially not taking pretty Miss SQ as a personal horse. Now is just not the right time for us, and things are a bit complicated. She is a pretty, athletic-looking girl, and is going to make someone a wonderful sport horse or breeding prospect.

K., thank you for considering this-- please let me know your thoughts. And remember, nothing says "good job, you're finished the semester!!" like a 4yo TB filly. :lol: (As long as her interim expenses are covered, she can stay here 'til she ships up to you, if that's what you'd like. I'll be in VT the first weekend in June, so I can get her to at least the Canadian border for you. Wow, I sound like I'm transporting drugs or humans or something...)

Or, again, if anyone would like to purchase her and keep her here for down time over the summer, you're more than welcome to. I've had an offer from an incredible CotH member who is willing to do a partnership on her. If anyone would like to "go halves" on adopting and expenses, we can talk about everything.

At least Miss Kissy Kiss has a get-out-of-jail card for now. She gets picked up from Beulah on Friday, so SQ could come then, too...

ETA: JER-- yay for bossy-boots mares! Zizi is just a fan of her structure and order, that's all. Geldings must learn to listen to alpha at all times. Besides, tiny shiny black fillies with presence and prettiness clearly need to be in charge. :)

IFG
Apr. 13, 2011, 07:08 AM
As of last night, I'm officially not taking pretty Miss SQ as a personal horse. Now is just not the right time for us, and things are a bit complicated. She is a pretty, athletic-looking girl, and is going to make someone a wonderful sport horse or breeding prospect.

K., thank you for considering this-- please let me know your thoughts. And remember, nothing says "good job, you're finished the semester!!" like a 4yo TB filly. :lol: (As long as her interim expenses are covered, she can stay here 'til she ships up to you, if that's what you'd like. I'll be in VT the first weekend in June, so I can get her to at least the Canadian border for you. Wow, I sound like I'm transporting drugs or humans or something...)

Or, again, if anyone would like to purchase her and keep her here for down time over the summer, you're more than welcome to. I've had an offer from an incredible CotH member who is willing to do a partnership on her. If anyone would like to "go halves" on adopting and expenses, we can talk about everything.

At least Miss Kissy Kiss has a get-out-of-jail card for now. She gets picked up from Beulah on Friday, so SQ could come then, too...

ETA: JER-- yay for bossy-boots mares! Zizi is just a fan of her structure and order, that's all. Geldings must learn to listen to alpha at all times. Besides, tiny shiny black fillies with presence and prettiness clearly need to be in charge. :)

Do not enable, do not enable, must pay tuition...

Wish I could take SQ, and with you coming to NE it might work, but I have to put on my big girl panties and wait for a project.

CookiePony
Apr. 13, 2011, 12:42 PM
Late to this thread but congratulations JER and thanks to all of her COTH enablers! Can't wait to hear that she is settled in NC on Friday.

Now, JER, why not SQ? :)

JER
Apr. 13, 2011, 07:02 PM
Now, JER, why not SQ? :)

I can't really take on two more horses. I just got my 3YO OTTB Danny in Feb.

I'm also very picky about mares and breeding. In 15 years, I've seen three TB mares I liked enough to pursue. I bought one (the mum of Dekorum, Nina and Zizi), made an offer on another (a mare with Ambiorix and Roberto up close; she ran 100+ races but her owners doted on her so they kept her as a pet) and now, Kissy Kiss, who I had my eye on since 2009.

FWIW, KK has a better pedigree for sport than my older TB mare. She's out of a mare by The Bart (a gorgeous horse who became a good sire of NH horses and broodmares in Ireland) and her sire raced 68 times, retired sound and is out of a Crozier mare. Like my other mare, she has no modern names. She does have Nasrullah in the 6th but that's about it. She's a real old-fashioned outcross.

And of course, I had no intentions of acquiring another mare for breeding as I already had my little purpose-bred mare band, but then I never expected to lose Dekorum so soon.

SevenDogs
Apr. 13, 2011, 09:06 PM
Lucky Girl!

CookiePony
Apr. 14, 2011, 12:05 AM
I can't really take on two more horses. I just got my 3YO OTTB Danny in Feb.

And of course, I had no intentions of acquiring another mare for breeding as I already had my little purpose-bred mare band, but then I never expected to lose Dekorum so soon.

I see... I forgot about Danny for a second (how is he?) and I can see why you would make an exception for KK. I'm glad this nice thing is happening for you now. :yes:

JER
Apr. 14, 2011, 01:33 AM
Danny is doing very well. He's eerily unspooky and walked past cows, sheep, horses, donkeys, llamas, geese, ducks, swans and chickens on the first try. He's interested but never thinks about turning away or stepping back. He seemed to think the swan flapping its wings was pretty cool and was eager to get closer to it. The swan was not amused.

I haven't gotten on him yet but he accepts saddle and bridle without issue. I was trying bits on him yesterday -- all I had to do was hold them up and he'd take them in his mouth.

Imagine if I thought that all 3 year-olds were like this...

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 14, 2011, 11:10 AM
Best of luck with Kissy Kiss! She is a lovely mare.

And it sounds like you have a winner with Danny:D

I was thinking SQ was nice as a project horse (to re-train and re-sell after some down time) more than a broodmare although that might be a possibility if she is really nice.

Hopefully someone takes a chance on her too.....wish my farm was done!

subk
Apr. 14, 2011, 11:40 AM
I'm also very picky about mares and breeding. In 15 years, I've seen three TB mares I liked enough to pursue. I bought one (the mum of Dekorum, Nina and Zizi), made an offer on another (a mare with Ambiorix and Roberto up close; she ran 100+ races but her owners doted on her so they kept her as a pet) and now, Kissy Kiss, who I had my eye on since 2009.

FWIW, KK has a better pedigree for sport than my older TB mare. She's out of a mare by The Bart (a gorgeous horse who became a good sire of NH horses and broodmares in Ireland) and her sire raced 68 times, retired sound and is out of a Crozier mare. Like my other mare, she has no modern names. She does have Nasrullah in the 6th but that's about it. She's a real old-fashioned outcross.

JER though you might get a kick out of my young horse's dam.: http://www.pedigreequery.com/jersey+princess

Congrats on the new herd addition! I can't wait to hear who you might breed her to...

JER
Apr. 14, 2011, 04:27 PM
JER though you might get a kick out of my young horse's dam.: http://www.pedigreequery.com/jersey+princess

Wow. I wonder if they've met each other at weddings or family reunions. All the same names...

Congrats on the new herd addition! I can't wait to hear who you might breed her to...

Ah. You've spawned a spin-off. I'm changing the title of this thread again... :D

So who should I breed her to?

(Note: there are some of you on here who already know who I'm looking at. Shhhhh.)

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 14, 2011, 04:38 PM

OT...but nice sire line too on that one. I like Sir Wimborne. He's sire of a lot of nice sport horses. And dam sire for one of my mares (also dam sire for Rock on Rose).

Blugal
Apr. 14, 2011, 04:48 PM
Clearly, you want to go local, need good conformation, and perhaps a little chrome to complement KK. The stud fee is, of course, the least of your worries. (http://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd/2312371254.html)

AppJumpr08
Apr. 14, 2011, 09:30 PM
Fred!!! (please??) :)

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 14, 2011, 09:44 PM
If she was mine...I'd try her with Jaguar Mail.

Especially since you can now work with Hilltop for him.

http://www.hilltopfarminc.com/stallion_jaguar.html

sarah88
Apr. 14, 2011, 09:44 PM
probably not what you are looking for but, I have been wanting a TB/Conn cross with Ard Celtic Art... I think he is just so cool :) http://www.hiddencreekhorses.com/our-stallion.html

or- if you want to go more 'old school'/ something w/ successful upper level babies there are apparently 5 doses of frozen Fleetwater Opposition swimmers available!
http://www.emcostallionservices.com/stallions/fleetwateropposition.html

twistoffate
Apr. 14, 2011, 10:00 PM
LOL! I can throw her out in the pasture with Trey tomorrow night and maybe haul her to you Sat in foal. :D

seeuatx
Apr. 14, 2011, 10:39 PM
If she was mine...I'd try her with Jaguar Mail.

Especially since you can now work with Hilltop for him.

http://www.hilltopfarminc.com/stallion_jaguar.html

OoooooH. I like!!!

purplnurpl
Apr. 15, 2011, 09:36 AM
for TB. holly cow. I'll take Jaguar Mail.
I really like Turn-to.

But I like Fred as well. He's got Sir Gaylord which is also Turn to.

yikes, tough decision between those two!!

If I used my new broodmare.
Swain Song x Jaguar Mail the baby would be Snail Mail? hehehehee

if you want some warmblood addition then I like Tzigane *Pb*. That stallion can do no wrong with me right now.
But I like him because I've ridden his babies...and they are exactly what I like in brain and build.

Not very often the Germans come to the US for a stallion. ; )

http://www.americantrakehner.com/Stallions/Tzigane.asp

foxhavenfarm
Apr. 15, 2011, 10:00 AM
probably not what you are looking for but, I have been wanting a TB/Conn cross with Ard Celtic Art... I think he is just so cool :) http://www.hiddencreekhorses.com/our-stallion.html

or- if you want to go more 'old school'/ something w/ successful upper level babies there are apparently 5 doses of frozen Fleetwater Opposition swimmers available!
http://www.emcostallionservices.com/stallions/fleetwateropposition.html

Art is lovely and his TB cross foals look nice too.

Fleetwater Opposition would be an excellent choice too!

JER
Apr. 15, 2011, 04:10 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Some comments...

A Fine Romance/Triple Twist -- probably not a full TB this time around because I don't really know what this mare is about. But I'm not sure I'd say no to a free breeding in the field if the stallion was nice. :lol:

Jaguar Mail -- oh lord, he's big. His sire was humongous, too. I agree that he's a very nice stallion and produces quality offspring but I do like to handle my young ones and ride them as youngsters, so 17+hh (and large, in JM's case) is not a good match for tiny me. I like them 16.2hh or under and prefer a more compact type.

Tzigane -- I hadn't really looked at him before but he's quite impressive. He's Trakehner-typey, though, so I'd want to see more foals out of TB mares (there's one in the gallery). I'd also have to take a close look at KK and her family's conformation to see what's prevalent.

Ard Celtic Art -- I like this guy a lot. My kind of pony. But I don't think I'll be doing a small horse the first time out from this mare.

Fleetwater Opposition -- I love this stallion. But he's a little out of my price range for this breeding. I think. It's tempting, given it's last call for him.

:) Any others?

scubed
Apr. 15, 2011, 04:20 PM
Don Principe: http://67.131.250.102/~marydell/donprincipe.php

Wallstreet Kid: http://www.baepridfarm.com/kid.html love this guy and know some of his offspring

vineyridge
Apr. 15, 2011, 04:28 PM
What about the Pollard's SF stallion? They might give you a deal because of Dekorum.

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 15, 2011, 04:31 PM
LOL--I guess I like them tall (but I am tall too).

So under 17 hands strikes most of the sires on my list:)

I would seriously consider Quite Easy....quite a bit of good french blood in his pedigree (and he's more the size you are looking for)

http://www.hilltopfarminc.com/stallion_quite_easy.html

Then of course there are all the standard eventing sires....would you try frozen on her...or just fresh??

ETA: I'm hearing very good things about Bruce's stallion Keltic Lion. He should be back in PA by now. Certainly has the bloodlines....and sounds like a very good mind.

deltawave
Apr. 15, 2011, 04:43 PM
My trainer bred a nice-but-nothing-special TB mare to Edelweiss de Bonce (http://www.avalon-equine.com/Edelweiss.html)and got a lovely, typey, leggy colt that was inspected Oldenburg Premium even though he was a month early, windswept and still a scrawny little dude at his inspection. They saw past that--he moves dreamy, nice and uphill, lots of elasticity. A large improvement on mama.

The colt (now almost a yearling) is very classy and breedy still, easy to handle and will probably be 16.2 (mare was about 15.3-16h) so not ginormous.

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 15, 2011, 04:45 PM
My trainer bred a nice-but-nothing-special TB mare to Edelweiss de Bonce (http://www.avalon-equine.com/Edelweiss.html)and got a lovely, typey, leggy colt that was inspected Oldenburg Premium even though he was a month early, windswept and a scrawny little dude at his inspection. Moves dreamy, nice and uphill, lots of elasticity. A large improvement on mama.

The colt (now almost a yearling) is very classy and breedy still, easy to handle and will probably be 16.2 (mare was about 15.3-16h) so not ginormous.

I just struck him from my above post as I thought he may be too tall for the OP ;) But he is on my list as a back up stallion if one of my mares doesn't take with the frozen semen I have for her.

JER
Apr. 15, 2011, 05:41 PM
Quite Easy -- I was told to avoid that line of horses for my other mare as the QdR's have a 'tough in the mouth' reputation. (My mare was already impossible in the mouth so anything would have been an improvement.) But this mare, she's probably a lot easier. I'd still have reservations, however, as I've known a number of difficult QdRs. I don't mind hot at all (I like hot) but these horses were talented, on the piggish side, and better suited to showjumping.

Does anyone have first-hand experience with Quite Easy offspring?

Don Principe/Wallstreet Kid -- nice stallions but not enough TB blood for my comfort level.

Edelweiss de Bonce -- I remember this horse from CA. I didn't know he was half Anglo-Arab and part TB. I also recall that he was bred to jump but didn't for some reason and also didn't do stallion approvals in France. Do his offspring jump?

He's a little on the big side if he doesn't breed big, that's okay. (Hand in Glove was massive massive massive and he passed that on to Jaguar Mail, who also has big offspring.)

the Pollard's French stallion -- he's really cute but I don't know much about him. He's an AA, isn't he?

Keltic Lion -- I'm not a big fan of the Lux Z line. Not my taste in looks.

Blugal
Apr. 15, 2011, 05:42 PM
On the younger side, Mighty Magic (http://a-1performancesires.com/Holsteiner/MightyMagic.asp)? I have done no research beyond that link & one video - I don't know how tall he is or what his progeny looks like.

scubed
Apr. 15, 2011, 05:46 PM
What about Formula One?

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 15, 2011, 05:53 PM
Edelweiss de Bonce -- I remember this horse from CA. I didn't know he was half Anglo-Arab and part TB. I also recall that he was bred to jump but didn't for some reason and also didn't do stallion approvals in France. Do his offspring jump?

He got hurt as a youngster and that was why the directed him to dressage. He's something like 80% blood. Given his pedigree...I'd be shocked if his offspring out of a TB don't have enough scope for eventing. But I think he doesn't have many older offspring as he was a competition horse and only recently started breeding.

As to QDR...the ones I've known were forward but not hot. I didn't find them difficult. The new horse of Boyd Martin is one too--I don't really know him but from what I've seen he looks really nice. I suppose it all depends on your own experiences--there are certainly a lot of them out there!

Only Quiet Easy foal I know is one that Didi breed--he looked lovely and I know she is excited about him but he is only a 2010 model. He himself is supposed to be very like his name.

Another interesting on to think about--going in a different direction is Roc USA. He has a decent amount of TB blood and has crossed well on TBs. Mostly for jumpers but I bet he would produce an eventer. He's tall too but not producing monsters. He's on my back up list if I bred my TB mare again.

http://www.rocusa.net/

JER
Apr. 15, 2011, 05:59 PM
Mighty Magic -- I like him very much and he's 3/4 TB and won Le Lion last year. But weren't there problems (a lack of conception) with his frozen semen? Does anyone know if this has improved?

Formula One -- I like this one, too. I do like the traditional breeding, although I haven't actually seen him in person or any of his offspring. KK's grandsire went to Ireland for stud and produced NH horses from Irish mares, so no reason to think she wouldn't be a good match.

JER
Apr. 15, 2011, 06:09 PM
Another interesting on to think about--going in a different direction is Roc USA. He has a decent amount of TB blood and has crossed well on TBs.

Never looked at him before (and now my eyes hurt from his website, that flag background is just too much) but that's a handsome horse. Those are nice foals he's producing out of TB mares. I like Idocus, and really like the Idocus son Olivier (who is not right for this mare).

vineyridge
Apr. 15, 2011, 06:18 PM
Mighty Magic has a thread on the breeding forum about his frozen. Apparently the first year they used an extender that didn't work for him, but that has now been remedied. Or so they say.

I was also going to suggest Edelweiss de Bonce. Did GP dressage; SF jumper bloodlines; and very high percentage TB. Sounds like the recipe for an excellent event horse. Very, very solid horse, and Kathy says he doesn't throw huge.

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 15, 2011, 07:18 PM
There are a few Mighty Magic foals in the US now I believe. He does supposedly throw height and from what I've been told, you want to breed him to a mare that herself has some volume to her movement.

I have some Grafenstolz semen myself for my TB mare.

Yeah...Roc USA's web site is a bit hard on the eyes....but he certainly isn't. I know someone with a youngster of his (now undersaddle)...and hear nothing but praises. Seems to throw very good minds as well as athletic ability.

twistoffate
Apr. 15, 2011, 07:32 PM
Kissy Kiss is on the trailer. :) Someone please go get SQ. Broke my heart to leave her....

AppJumpr08
Apr. 15, 2011, 08:11 PM
According to EMCO's website, there's still Catherston Dazzler semen available...

JER
Apr. 15, 2011, 08:12 PM
I'm so excited... :)

twistoffate is so kind and generous to do this for me -- and for Kissy Kiss.

horsetales
Apr. 15, 2011, 08:21 PM
I'm partial to the Irish, so I would look to a stallion like Bridon Beale Street RID who I believe just did his 1st 1*

Love Formula One

JER
Apr. 15, 2011, 08:31 PM
Is there any Catherston Dazzler semen left?

Well, yes. I have two doses in the freezer. :)

I'm saving it for Dekorum's 5 year-old half-sister Nina, who is out of the same mare as Dekorum and by Heroicity.

I thought I'd do something a little different with Kissy Kiss.

Here are two that I'm interested in:

Cevin Z (http://www.thebillystud.co.uk/Stallions-Billy-Celvin-Z.htm)

Cevin Z is supposed to be the best sire of jumpers in the UK these days. His offspring include the eventing mare Borough Pennyz (http://www.alcrook.co.uk/photo_7328692.html), who was 1st in the British 7YO champs and 9th at Le Lion CCI**. She's an insane jumper. The Funnells' stallion Billy Mexico is also a Cevin Z son.

However, Cevin Z doesn't have a lot of TB blood and he's a bit heavier than I'd like. I've heard he crosses well with TBs but I've only seen photos of two young ones so not much to go on. The horses by him that I like most are out of TBx mares. Borough Pennyz is a Catherston-bred out of a Dutch Gold mare. (All the horses I like seem to be related.)

Chairman (http://www.stallionsonline.co.uk/stallion_22855.html) (video) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a12vWH57-A)

Chairman is another old dead guy and not so well-known but he was a Cor de la Bryere son and just over 1/2 TB blood. I saw him compete in Europe; Blugal actually handled him at the Funnells. He wasn't the flashiest horse but did well at the 1.50m GPs and was sensible enough to hack out with mares. He passes on a great temperament and a big jump. This would make a traditional eventing cross with about 13/16ths TB blood (which is what Dekorum was).

columbus
Apr. 15, 2011, 08:42 PM
http://www.shelbournefarm.com/cougar.html

Blugal
Apr. 15, 2011, 08:43 PM
RSEventer,
While I understand your sentiment, I don't think a discussion of a purposeful breeding by someone who has proven she has the knowledge, commitment and resources to provide for the mare & foal for their lifetimes, is in any way a reason to berate those people for not taking on another OTTB which is a byproduct of an industry that does not seem to have the same commitment (and perhaps in some cases, the resources).

JER
Apr. 15, 2011, 09:18 PM
Cougar is very handsome but I don't like Cruising at all.

I say that having seen Cruising himself up close as well as lots of horses by Cruising. I even rode a few. I'm not saying he hasn't been successful but the overall quality was lacking for me. Some of the young ones were very spare-partsy, IMO.

But I'd be curious to see what Cougars offspring look like. Are there any of riding age?

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 15, 2011, 09:36 PM
I really like Chairman ...if you have access to frozen for him that would be a great cross.

Napoles
Apr. 16, 2011, 01:53 AM
What about harlequin du carel. Sire of dorado and has lots of babies in the future event horse league in Ireland.
All very good looking and nice event types.

Old Time Rider
Apr. 16, 2011, 07:59 AM
I'd bred to Roc USA just so you could name the foal 'Kissing Roc'. His babies have done extremely well in the hunters & jumpers.

JER
Apr. 16, 2011, 05:36 PM
I just got official word that Kissy Kiss has reached her new home. She's already rolled in the shavings in her new stall. :)

Glenbaer says she's underweight and needs a good grooming but she's undeniably gorgeous with a big overstep and clean legs (at 11, after all those years on the track).

I'm eagerly awaiting pics and will post when I get them.

Yay!

clivers
Apr. 16, 2011, 06:29 PM
That's so great to hear!!

mugsgame
Apr. 16, 2011, 06:55 PM
I watched Billy Mexico jump today in Young Horse 6yo class and he was brilliant. I think he would be a good cross for a TB as has a bit of KWPN and SF in his bloodlines and is a much lighter sort of horse than his sire Cevin Z. In the Young Horse Classes they were jumping 1.25m and they have to do 3 clears to qualify for the finals. I think we will see a lot more of him in the future. I also watched him while the class was running and he was standing very chilled in the collecting ring while William Funnell watched what was happening with the class.

Pippa Funnell has a stunning horse called Billy Beware - he is by Kannan and I notice that a few of the others are also by him. Might be worth looking at as perhaps a more blood horse type of Sjer.

RunForIt
Apr. 16, 2011, 07:25 PM
:D
I just got official word that Kissy Kiss has reached her new home. She's already rolled in the shavings in her new stall. :)

Glenbaer says she's underweight and needs a good grooming but she's undeniably gorgeous with a big overstep and clean legs (at 11, after all those years on the track).

I'm eagerly awaiting pics and will post when I get them.

Yay!

Since I keep FEELING a LIKE button...
LIKE: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

AppJumpr08
Apr. 16, 2011, 08:34 PM

Ditto, and a double LIKE!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

seeuatx
Apr. 16, 2011, 08:43 PM
I watched Billy Mexico jump today in Young Horse 6yo class and he was brilliant. I think he would be a good cross for a TB as has a bit of KWPN and SF in his bloodlines and is a much lighter sort of horse than his sire Cevin Z. In the Young Horse Classes they were jumping 1.25m and they have to do 3 clears to qualify for the finals. I think we will see a lot more of him in the future. I also watched him while the class was running and he was standing very chilled in the collecting ring while William Funnell watched what was happening with the class.

Pippa Funnell has a stunning horse called Billy Beware - he is by Kannan and I notice that a few of the others are also by him. Might be worth looking at as perhaps a more blood horse type of Sjer.

I'll take two ;)

http://www.thebillystud.co.uk/Stallions-Billy-Mexico.htm

CookiePony
Apr. 16, 2011, 10:30 PM
Welcome home, KK-- you hit the jackpot!

vineyridge
Apr. 17, 2011, 01:21 PM
JER, have you ever bred to a US based stallion? Have you ever even seriously considered a US based stallion?

Just wondering and if not, why not?

JER
Apr. 17, 2011, 03:27 PM
JER, have you ever bred to a US based stallion? Have you ever even seriously considered a US based stallion?

Yes. I did breed to a US-based stallion, although he was not a US-bred. At all.

My 6 year-old, Zizi, is by the Uzbekistan-bred Akhal-Teke stallion Super Star (http://www.willowhillequestrian.com/stallions.php) (scroll down). Super Star was bred to race in Uzbekistan and then found his way to Kazakhstan, where he was one of only 3 horses to escape a barn fire. He was burned from nose to tail and still has a bald patch on his back. He was imported to the US, did dressage to FEI levels, and now stands in Virginia. He is owned by COTHer Winsock.

If that's not an exotic background, I don't know what is.

My Super Star offspring is gorgeous, athletic and seriously intelligent. She is far smarter than her mother or sisters. She has a big jump, is as bold as a lion, moves beautifully and has loads of speed. Anyone can ride her. If she were the size of her sisters, I'd be beating people off her with a stick.

But she's only 14.1hh. Her parents are 16hh and 15.2hh and neither tends to breed smaller.

I think Super Star is a fantastic stallion and a very much overlooked choice for eventers. Just this morning, I was thinking he'd be a good match for KK but I'd want to wait until I have a better idea of what she'll produce.

I don't really care where a stallion is based. I just look for the stallion I like. When I bred to Catherston Dazzler, he had no US rep so I imported the semen myself. Same with Heroicity -- by the time I bred to him, he was at Hilltop, but when he was still in NZ, his owner and I had discussed shipping cooled semen from Auckland to LAX.

Also, I've spent a good amount of time in the UK and Europe and I've seen more stallions and youngstock there than I've seen here. It's not so easy to do in N. America if you don't live in a horsey mecca.

JER
Apr. 17, 2011, 04:14 PM
Okay, now for some photos.

I want to be very clear on one thing: No finger-pointing, negative comments.

We know she's underweight. Her connections at the track cared enough about her to list her with CANTER and find her a new home. That's what's important. She's now in an excellent place, the cold weather is (hopefully) over, the grass is green, etc.

Kissy Kiss 1 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/28168510@N07/5628740938/)

Kissy Kiss 2 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/28168510@N07/5628157449)

I think she's lovely. :)

scubed
Apr. 17, 2011, 04:35 PM
She is lovely (my favorite color) and already shiny! Hopefully, she does not dislike the farrier as I see she has some significant foot trimming in her future :winkgrin:

AppJumpr08
Apr. 17, 2011, 04:45 PM
Such a beautiful girl. I cannot wait to follow her through the years to come. I'm so glad she ended up with staying within the COTH circle :)

LauraR
Apr. 17, 2011, 04:54 PM
I think she's lovely. :)

I think she's lovely as well. Thank you!

vineyridge
Apr. 17, 2011, 05:02 PM
I didn't really mean US based. I meant North American; sorry, Canadians. :)

Somewhere in Canada, there is/was an ISH (I think) stallion named Espiritu who was imported. Son of Master Spiritus, and sire of one of Heather Morris's UL event horses. He is/was sadly underused. He'd be 30 now, so not breeding obviously.

You know William Micklem says to breed to achieve good 2* horses consistently, and some of them will be talented enough to go higher. Most buyers would be very happy with good 2* horses, so the market is huge.

Are there any sane and uncomplicated 4* horses out there? One has heard tales of difficult personalities in most of the great ones.

Kissy Kiss is a lovely mare and with groceries and riding will look as lovely as she can be.

pony grandma
Apr. 17, 2011, 05:16 PM
The before and afters are going to be stunning!

I think that you did very well, something truly healing for both you and her.

maunder
Apr. 17, 2011, 05:17 PM
My goodness! The long legs on that gal! :) Congratulations!

Equilibrium
Apr. 17, 2011, 05:20 PM
Holy Legs! Love them! JER, I thought I commented on your aquisition of KK but I'm guessing it didn't go through. Many congrats on getting her. She has such a nifty pedigree and I think will breed you some wonderful future eventers. She is beautiful and I love her head. Can't wait to see what she produces. This girl landed on her feet!

Terri

Long Spot
Apr. 17, 2011, 05:26 PM
I love the pink lipstick she has. Makes her name so perfect.

She's lovely.

Event4Life
Apr. 17, 2011, 05:26 PM
Wow, any horse that's been racing for as long as she has deserves a great 2nd career/life! Good on you JER and everyone involved....I can't believe how clean her legs are after racing that long & what a face! She's gorgeous already, and will only get better with great care. Sidenote - JER I always enjoy your posts on breeding/bloodlines and am looking forward to reading more about who you end up breeding Kissy Kiss too.

J. Bewley
Apr. 17, 2011, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=vineyridge;5551437]
Somewhere in Canada, there is/was an ISH (I think) stallion named Espiritu who was imported. Son of Master Spiritus, and sire of one of Heather Morris's UL event horses. He is/was sadly underused. He'd be 30 now, so not breeding obviously.

Hi there,
We have a retired Grade 1 event mare by Espiritu (aka My Espiritu VII) who was an Advanced horse himself in England. Espiritu was born in 1981, so, yes, he'd be 30. Our mare, who was bred & produced by Jo Whitehouse looks just like her sire. It would be nice to know if Espiritu has any sons standing at stud.

Re a potential match for KK, I noticed that Hilltop Farm has Jaguar Mail semen. Any thoughts on him?

Regards,
Pat
www.catoctinsporthorses.com

JER
Apr. 17, 2011, 05:38 PM
You know William Micklem says to breed to achieve good 2* horses consistently, and some of them will be talented enough to go higher. Most buyers would be very happy with good 2* horses, so the market is huge.

That's good advice. I think it's very doable, from a decent mare, if you are selective with your stallions in terms of the attitude needed to succeed in eventing.

Are there any sane and uncomplicated 4* horses out there? One has heard tales of difficult personalities in most of the great ones.

Yes. McKinlaigh, for example. Milton the showjumper, according to John Whitaker, was an easy horse to ride. People are willing to persevere more with a talented horse but not all talented horses are difficult. Super-athletic horses are not always easy to stay with in the saddle so this makes them better suited to a rider of comparable talent. :)

A good event horse needs to have some independence of mind to be successful on XC. This is one quality that can cause a horse to be called 'difficult' but it's really that the rider needs to work out the right way to compromise and communicate with the horse.

Kissy Kiss is a lovely mare and with groceries and riding will look as lovely as she can be.

Thank you. :yes::yes:

Equilibrium
Apr. 17, 2011, 05:40 PM
Cougar is very handsome but I don't like Cruising at all.

I say that having seen Cruising himself up close as well as lots of horses by Cruising. I even rode a few. I'm not saying he hasn't been successful but the overall quality was lacking for me. Some of the young ones were very spare-partsy, IMO.

But I'd be curious to see what Cougars offspring look like. Are there any of riding age?

Oh good, so I'm not the only one. My husband wanted Stella to go to Cruising. We left it at "not in this lifetime."

Terri

seeuatx
Apr. 17, 2011, 06:15 PM
I'm so glad she is home and settling in well. If only they could all land so well. She has certainly hit the horsey jackpot.

Another stallion match might be Pallas Digion if he is still available. A thread on HJ about clipping legs reminded me how much I like him, and I believe there was an eventer by him several years ago. *A quick look at his Offspring page shows that it's a horse named Three Wishes*. He's 16.2 and 1/2 Tb, so fits in the not too big- not too small category. Plus, I do love a 7/8 bred ;) http://www.acornhillfarm.com/pallas_digion.html

P.S. wouldn't it be fun if there was a horsey match.com that would line up potential matches based on size, bloodline, and conformation improvements. But then we wouldn't get to have fun looking :yes:

Toadie's mom
Apr. 17, 2011, 10:48 PM
So looking forward to updates, but no matter what....I LOVE those ears:D

JER
Apr. 17, 2011, 11:52 PM
Re a potential match for KK, I noticed that Hilltop Farm has Jaguar Mail semen. Any thoughts on him?

Jaguar Mail was suggested earlier (and several times) in this thread.

While I think he's an excellent stallion in all respects, he's too big for me. His own sire was also gigantic so we know there's a lot of height/size there.

I like to handle/ride my young ones and I'm not really suited to a large horse. I try to stick to 16.2hh and under. :)

Napoles
Apr. 18, 2011, 05:38 AM
Another stallion match might be Pallas Digion if he is still available. A thread on HJ about clipping legs reminded me how much I like him, and I believe there was an eventer by him several years ago. *A quick look at his Offspring page shows that it's a horse named Three Wishes*. He's 16.2 and 1/2 Tb, so fits in the not too big- not too small category. Plus, I do love a 7/8 bred ;) http://www.acornhillfarm.com/pallas_digion.html
:

Also sire of Spring Along. :yes:

frugalannie
Apr. 18, 2011, 08:28 AM
JER, I think she's a lovley mare, and right now I'm kicking myself that I didn't snag her when she was at sufferin' Suffolk. But AIR, I already had too many horses then!

Nice thing about a horse that's a little on the "runway model" side is that you can really see their bone structure and angles, and she is well put together, :yes:.

I admit that given what I had read, I opened thte photos expecting to see a body score of 2 or less, but was pleasantly surprised. Best of luck and happy stallion ahopping!

Fred
Apr. 18, 2011, 02:21 PM

I definitely want to hit that same like, no LOVE button.
I am so happy for Kissy Kiss, and so glad that she has such a wonderful new home and terrific owner.
Best of luck to all. I couldn't be happier, unless she was here in my barn. ;)

JER
Apr. 18, 2011, 03:48 PM
Before I showed the pictures to my very unhorsey SO, I said "She has long legs and a pretty face, but she's skinny and underweight."

He said, "She sounds just like you."

:lol:

Blugal
Apr. 18, 2011, 04:29 PM

RunForIt
Apr. 18, 2011, 05:40 PM
Before I showed the pictures to my very unhorsey SO, I said "She has long legs and a pretty face, but she's skinny and underweight."

what else can any girl ask for...I LOVE happy endings...I lOVE this lovely mare is staying within the COTH family, and I wish her many carrots, lots of green grass, warm bedding, and best of all, a special person to love her and keep her well. :cool:

Cruiser12
Apr. 18, 2011, 08:58 PM

AHAHHAHHAHHAAAHHAHA!!

OTTB FTW
Apr. 19, 2011, 07:41 AM
She is as lovely as ever I see. I soooo wanted to go get this mare a few years ago, but had just picked up one before she was listed on CANTER NE. Please keep us posted. Would LOVE to get updates on her. I'm so glad she has a great home. :D
Thanks for sharing and congrats!!

Glenbaer
Apr. 19, 2011, 08:22 AM
Miss Kiss is settling beautifully into her new lifestyle! The idea of having "free choice" to do whatever she pleases has officially made her a happy girl. Her turnout behavior goes something along the lines of "graze, look around, run-buck-play-bounce, graze, tag-the-boyfriend with a fly-by gallop, chill out by the other girls, run-buck-play-bounce, graze." Not a bad lifestyle to have. :D

Kiss has also adopted my small welsh pony as her "tour guide," and follows her around the field from time to time. (Looks like pony gets to stay in the family...) Yesterday at night check, as well as this morning, Kiss was dozing in her run-in shed with the pony, eyes half-closed, loose lower lip dropped down. I think she's settled.

Her other skills include ground-tying like a pro, assisting with barn chores by carrying the broom in her teeth, perfectly lifting up her legs to be handled and hooves picked, and playing hard-to-get with the geldings. (C'mon, with her looks, what gelding wouldn't be interested? :lol: )

As another update, it looks like SQ will be joining Kiss afterall. I'll post updates as things are confirmed, but the little one will also have a happy life. The girls are going to be kicking butt with the geldings. Hehe... they all need it. :yes:

AppJumpr08
Apr. 19, 2011, 09:23 AM
Glenbaer,
Thank you so much for that wonderful update! Totally brightened my day :) Kissy (and SQ, if she ends up coming to you!) sound like they are living the life. Lucky Lucky girls.

I can't say it enough - I am so glad that this special mare ended up staying in the COTH family.

Napoles
Apr. 19, 2011, 11:15 AM
Aw what a lovely update. :) Delighted to read it.

Fred
Apr. 19, 2011, 01:58 PM
great update Glenbaer, keeping my fingers crossed for SQ.

As for whom to pick for MissK, I have been doing a lot of thinking about this because I am thinking of breeding my own girl Tuscany Romance. Since she is an AFR daughter, he is out ;) -
I love Jaguar Mail, but understand if he is too big for you JER. I also LOVE Diamant de Semilly, but he is beaucoup de $$$$. Both are available only frozen.

A stallion who I think you should take a closer look at, who I think does not get the attention he deserves, is the Holsteiner Concerto Grosso. Beautifully bred, very athletic, lots of TB blood (more than 1/2 I believe). He is a lovely horse, and crosses well with TBs.
I don't know if you would get an UL event horse, but I think you would certainly get a lovely, athletic and beautiful horse with good movement and jumping ability.....who could be an UL horse.
He is located in VA and is available fresh, and is not very expensive either.

disclaimer: I have no association with this stallion whatsoever.

vineyridge
Apr. 19, 2011, 04:38 PM
Holsteiners have not traditionally been the best event horses unless they are F1 hybrids, i.e Marius. I believe the reason for this is that Holstein breeds for the canter, and they are famous for canters. But they do not breed for the gallop, and the excellent canter might mean that the gallop is subpar.

JER
Apr. 19, 2011, 06:23 PM
Diamant de Semilly and Concerto Grosso are both very nice but they're 17hh and I want to stick to smaller until I know what Kiss produces.

She's in the 16.1hh-16.2hh range herself.

The current frontrunner is Chairman. Conformation-wise, they're a very good match and he's known to pass on a great temperament and a big jump. His own style over fences was nicely forward and quick in front, which should translate well to eventing, especially when combined with a willing, confident temperament.

It helps that Blugal had first-hand experience with him. Event horses should like new experiences and be confident in what they do. Not all stallions are like this, and I think this attitude is one of the defining traits of the type of athlete you need for eventing.

Just my opinion, of course, but it works for me.

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 19, 2011, 06:38 PM
The current frontrunner is Chairman. Conformation-wise, they're a very good match and he's known to pass on a great temperament and a big jump. His own style over fences was nicely forward and quick in front, which should translate well to eventing, especially when combined with a willing, confident temperament.

And there are certainly many eventers out there with similar blood in there. I'm pretty sure Lord (his dam sire) was an Advanced level eventer. And of course Cor de la Bryere needs no introduction...They can be a bit tough but the Lord line is known for ridability and good temperaments.

I think it would be a lovely cross.

PonyGal08
Apr. 19, 2011, 06:53 PM
JER, haven't you fancied Herald (http://www.holsteiner-verband.de/cms/front_content.php?client=1&lang=2&idcat=37&idart=2198&getInfoBox=yes&pageno=5)? I believe he's 16.1 of pure handsomeness!!

JER
Apr. 19, 2011, 07:06 PM
I love Herald but have no idea what's up with his breeding career.

He was recently sold to the US but that's all I know.

PonyGal08
Apr. 19, 2011, 07:08 PM

Oh yeah, now I remember reading that. hhhmmm I may do some online digging on that.

RedMare01
Apr. 19, 2011, 09:02 PM
Not that I know much about breeding eventers, but what about Grafenstolz? Too unproven?

Caitlin

JER
Apr. 19, 2011, 09:14 PM
Grafenstolz is a handsome stallion but there's a lot of talk about temperament issues with both the horse and his owner, who has been banned from this BB.

Not sure I'd want to go there...

In a situation like this, I'd need to see the horse in person and also some offspring. I'd have to really want to breed to him.

CookiePony
Apr. 19, 2011, 10:28 PM
As another update, it looks like SQ will be joining Kiss afterall. I'll post updates as things are confirmed, but the little one will also have a happy life. The girls are going to be kicking butt with the geldings. Hehe... they all need it. :yes:

Hooray for SQ!!

And Kiss is lovely-- look at that shoulder and that engine!

fooler
Apr. 19, 2011, 11:04 PM
Another stallion to consider is Cor Magnifique (http://www.pedigreequery.com/cor+magnifique). He is from the Cormac and Bonne Nuit line. I knew his sire/dam and grand sires/dams. His sire's brother Corcall was 2nd alternate for 1987 Pan Am's and long listed in 1988. His sire's sister was a solid intermediate mare with several young riders. Grandsire Surly Swain passed his rather large butt and ears to all of his get and through son BOC. They are long lived and very tough - my 31 yo mare is by Swain.

This stallion was bred by Dick and Nancy Gosch at WoodnHorse Stables in Newnan, GA. They have retired from active horse activity. The stallion is currently owned by http://www.teamwallace.org/. (http://www.teamwallace.org/) They have pictures of several foals (http://www.teamwallace.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=4&Itemid=2)on their website.

I think he would be a nice cross for this lovely mare.

FairWeather
Apr. 20, 2011, 08:06 AM
So happy to see Kissy Kiss in her new home, and super happy she's so close to me--I'd love to go say hi to the big girl and give a carrot and snap some photos! I've been following her for the years she's been in and out of the CANTER listings. SO happy to see where she ended up.
I love her conformation and her BONE! Wow! Lovely girl!

PonyGal08
Apr. 20, 2011, 04:52 PM

Found out he's owned by Artisan Farms LLC. Still looking for more contact info.

JER
Apr. 21, 2011, 02:47 AM
Today, April 21, is Kissy Kiss's 11th birthday!

CatchMeIfUCan
Apr. 21, 2011, 03:35 AM
She is two days younger than my heart horse :D

Happy birthday KK!! Have a fabulous day!!

Waterwitch
Apr. 21, 2011, 07:50 AM
Congratulations JER! Love her hindend. Also like Chairman!

OTTB FTW
Apr. 21, 2011, 09:06 AM
Great to hear the update on KK. Thanks so much! Keep them coming! Can't wait to hear/watch the story of this special mare, which is second best to having gone and gotten her myself from Suffolk!

columbus
Apr. 22, 2011, 12:25 AM
Lordanos for thejump and temperament
Mighty Magic...the beauty
Harry Potter...adorable
still like Grafenstolz...via Judy Yancey
Abendtanz...double Kostolany, liked the jumping video
Flexible...for heart and smarts and power and temperament
Corland for example for the Cor de la B on top and Landgraf on the bottom.

AEM74
Jun. 7, 2011, 01:59 PM
Just wondering how Kissy Kiss is coming along. Any recent photos available? She sure is a pretty thing.

JER
Jun. 7, 2011, 02:11 PM
She's doing great -- thanks for asking!

Right now, she's out standing in her field in NC. She's been back and forth to the repro vet, and we're waiting for her to finish a course of SMZs for a low-grade uterine infection.

When that's done, we'll be breeding her to Chairman.

I've not seen her myself but hear she's putting on some weight, although she's a lean type of horse (but not as lean as my 6 year-old, who looks like a whippet-pony mix!). She's a lovely horse to handle, with the caveat that she much prefers being out in her pasture so it can be hard to convince her to come in at night. :)

I'll request some new pics...