PDA

View Full Version : Potential government shut down impacts on horse owners

4Martini
Apr. 7, 2011, 03:56 PM
Just curious what impacts might be felt by horse owners. Would we not be able to get Brand inspections? Get hay certified at weed free? Could we cross boarders without proper health papers? Anyone have any insight on what services used by the equine industry would be impacted?

SaturdayNightLive
Apr. 7, 2011, 04:06 PM
Well I'd imagine that brand inspectors are employed by state governments, not the federal government, so that should remain unaffected.

I have no idea about the hay, but first cutting isn't for awhile yet anyway right?

You've always been able to cross state borders without health papers. Just pray you don't get pulled over. ;)

Really, I know everyone is have a Chicken Little moment over this, but it won't be the first time for a government shutdown. The government shut down twice under Clinton.

Besides, it remains to be seen that the government will actually shut down this time. At this point, I kind of wish they'd just do it and get it over with instead of the continuing resolution limbo hell we've been in for the last however many months...

chunky munky
Apr. 7, 2011, 04:22 PM
ugh, maybe just settele down. SNL is correst, this is not the first time it has happened, and no ill effects came the last times.

4Martini
Apr. 7, 2011, 04:28 PM
ugh, maybe just settele down. SNL is correst, this is not the first time it has happened, and no ill effects came the last times.

Wow, I didn't know I was in need of settling down. I don't think I'll have any issues with my one retired horse. I was just curious. Personally, I think we should let them shut down, but I was interested in what impacts might be felt by the horse community and wanted to brainstorm. I guess my time would be better spent stalking some teenage girl on You Tube...

Gnalli
Apr. 7, 2011, 04:32 PM
The only one I can think of would be stopping at the borders checking trucks, but I am not sure if that would even be affected. Now, it might very well affect cattle producers in that USDA inspectors in the meat plants might not be considered essential personnel. Again, I am not sure on that.

As far as getting hay certified, Tamara In Tn would be the resident expert on that, but I am betting that would go thru either USDA or the local extension office, which is state.

SaturdayNightLive
Apr. 7, 2011, 04:37 PM
The only one I can think of would be stopping at the borders checking trucks, but I am not sure if that would even be affected. Now, it might very well affect cattle producers in that USDA inspectors in the meat plants might not be considered essential personnel. Again, I am not sure on that.

I'd bet it's considered essential to public health and safety. I really don't see them allowing meat that hasn't been inspected into the food supply.

caffeinated
Apr. 7, 2011, 04:40 PM
uh, I may have trouble paying for board next month?

Does that count?

And won't be going to Rolex (that's, what, hundreds of dollahs at least that won't be spent in the great state of Kentucky. Sorry, Kentucky.)

(I would think there could be some problems with people shipping horses either way overseas, and importing, but not sure about anything else)

Beverley
Apr. 7, 2011, 05:20 PM
Well, the impact for me would be more time to ride the horses, since I would be on furlough in standby status e.g. only to report if called for an emergency.

The trick there, of course, is that I cannot answer my government issue cell phone, any work or use of government equipment while in furlough status being potential cause for a hefty fine. But then my boss has my personal cell number anyhow knowing that if I am riding a horse, that's how to reach me.:)

Frank B
Apr. 7, 2011, 05:31 PM
One economist said to think of a big snowstorm hitting Washington. The effect on the general public would be about the same.

Not too long after the '95 "shutdown", a big storm did hit DC. The joke on The Weather Channel was that Ma Nature said, "You call that a shutdown? Let me show you a REAL shutdown!"

caffeinated
Apr. 7, 2011, 05:39 PM
One economist said to think of a big snowstorm hitting Washington. The effect on the general public would be about the same.

heh.

I think that's bad, actually. We work so hard to keep the "essential" stuff rolling that people don't notice when we're down, so it sort of gives the impression we're not needed.

I think they should really shut it down. I'd give it ONE day without FAA, TSA, and food safety inspection before they're forced to pull their heads from their rectums and get a budget passed.

bambam
Apr. 7, 2011, 05:46 PM
Personally, I think we should let them shut down,
well as someone who lives in the DC area and knows some of the thousands and thousands of people whose sole income comes from the federal government and are worrying about how they are going to pay bills without a paycheck, I do not think we should just let them shut it down.
But to answer your question, I doubt the shutdown will have much effect on horse owning per se. The only "state" government that will be closed as a result of a shut down is DC and there are about 10 horses that live in DC. I hope the people who care for park police horses get paid.
It is hard to determine what functions will still occur other than law enforcement and other obvious ones because most of the agencies themselves have not told employees let alone the public who is essential and who is non-essential (only essential personnel will be allowed to work during a shutdown). Although I am sure TSA and certain portions of the FAA will be considered essential.

carolprudm
Apr. 7, 2011, 06:28 PM

Depends on what you call ill effects I suppose
http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/federalbudgetprocess/a/Government-Shutdowns.htm

Mr P was employed by the government then. I really have sympathy for the current federal workers

Mrs.ChickenBritches
Apr. 7, 2011, 06:32 PM
Well, clearly the people who say "shut it down" dont rely on the government for their paycheck.

We do and if it does shut down and lasts too long we wont be able to buy hay to feed our horses. A series of emergencies this year has left us short handed on savings. A shut down would also delay our tax refund that we sorely need to get all the horse's teeth done and get the dog to the vet for an expensive phenobarb work up. So I dont take this current Congressional clusterf*ck very lightly.

caffeinated
Apr. 7, 2011, 06:36 PM
A shut down would also delay our tax refund

Word here is that if you filed electronically, it will still get processed in somewhat timely manner.

If you do paper filing, all bets are off.

(as a fed with little savings and just finishing off some major bills, I feel your pain. I just think if there IS a shutdown, it should be a real one, because that would be the only thing I could think of to spur congresspeople into acting like adults and getting something done)

coloredcowhorse
Apr. 7, 2011, 08:12 PM

Not too long after the '95 "shutdown", a big storm did hit DC. The joke on The Weather Channel was that Ma Nature said, "You call that a shutdown? Let me show you a REAL shutdown!"

When I was a kid my dad was stationed at the Pentagon (after doing a three year tour in Alaska). It started snowing late morning one day....enough that there was snow resting on top of the grass but the roads were wet. The Pentagon sent everyone home early...we lived about 15 miles south into Virginia and it took dad 2 hours to get home...people were driving down the meridian of the highway as well as all balled up on the road. The snow backed off and melted and we went to school the next morning as I remember. The Broadway cast for My Fair Lady had been in DC for a presentation at the Ford Theatre and stayed over due to the "storm". The next morning, after we got to school and it began snowing again, they announced that they would do a special showing that evening for the school kids...tickets were $5. Back then kids didn't carry more than their lunch money with them and there weren't cell phones and such but I was lucky enough to be seated near the door and when we were allowed out to call parents for ticket $ I was able to get to a payphone and get my mom to bring ticket money. Got to see a Broadway play at the Ford Theatre due to a DC snow storm. We kind of laughed as the amount of snow was pretty puny in our experience.

danceronice
Apr. 7, 2011, 08:44 PM
Word here is that if you filed electronically, it will still get processed in somewhat timely manner.

How much you want to bet they'll somehow manage to process e-filed taxes OWED on schedule anyway?

We could have had a budget passed a YEAR ago when one party controlled both houses and the White House, with all the unaffordable programs they want now and are holding things up for, but noooo. Could have rammed it through in the lame-duck session but no. Tough on the nonessentials who won't get paid, but some people needed to set up a 'blame the Republicans' scenario and moan about how they're starving senior citizens to death and want to defund Medicare. If they really did that, could I have the money taken out of my paycheck for it back? I need a new show shirt.

Mrs.ChickenBritches
Apr. 7, 2011, 08:57 PM

(as a fed with little savings and just finishing off some major bills, I feel your pain. I just think if there IS a shutdown, it should be a real one, because that would be the only thing I could think of to spur congresspeople into acting like adults and getting something done)

Unfortunately for us this year we had to file a paper return because of the home buyer credit. I think that if the military isn't going to get paid then congresspeople shouldn't either. When the shutdown happened before the military wasn't affected because the DoD had gotten their funding already. I just cant believe how childish our "leaders" are being.

If worse comes to worst we will have to borrow money from my in-laws to keep everyone fed. I hate to do it but luckily they are very understanding. I will have to postpone the farrier too so I can make the truck payment. I hate feeling so stressed and cranky!:lol:

anita m
Apr. 7, 2011, 09:01 PM
I'm also a federal employee and worry that I will not be able to pay my bills next month.

In past furloughs, Congress has always voted to go ahead and pay furloughed employees anyway, but with the Tea Party Whiners in control I am very concerned that this won't happen this time.

I agree with the above--the shutdown should really be a shutdown and above all, CONGRESS should NOT get paid either!!!

horsetales
Apr. 7, 2011, 09:09 PM
I'm also a federal employee and worry that I will not be able to pay my bills next month.

In past furloughs, Congress has always voted to go ahead and pay furloughed employees anyway, but with the Tea Party Whiners in control I am very concerned that this won't happen this time.

I agree with the above--the shutdown should really be a shutdown and above all, CONGRESS should NOT get paid either!!!

Being a Gov't contractor, we don't get paid. period. Gov't workers normally get a paid vacation, but the thousands of contractors get no paycheck unless they can use vacation time

SLW
Apr. 7, 2011, 09:29 PM
Both my Son in Laws are active duty- Army and Navy. The email came out today from the Family Readiness officer outlining the steps if the govt is shut down.

In the instances where service members board a horse(s), barn owners may be delayed getting May 1 board or worse, the horse would be booted out. I hope a safety net is in place for any horse owners who are deployed.

A girlfriend works for the Department of Agriculture. I'm always amazed that it's never a problem for her to call me, or answer her cell phone, and talk about "stuff" not related to her work for an hour or more. It's been this way for 16 years. Sigh. The chatter is longer on the days she works from home.

BasqueMom
Apr. 8, 2011, 02:58 AM
Air Traffic Control will be controlling and assume the TSA will be groping. Mail will be snailing around. Social Security checks will go out. The IRS will be collecting the taxes owed checks and cashing them. Refunds on returns filed electronically will be done....refunds on paper returns, not so much.

The House passed a bill to fund the Department of Defense through end of fiscal year. A similar bill was introduced into the Senate--don't know if it was also passed. The White House seems to be strumbling block for that one. Think one of the hangups is defunding the abortion services of planned parenthood. Can't say as I was really crazy about others playing and I get to pay.

For all you with government paychecks, I do hope it gets worked out. The IRS will be getting $4300 in owed taxes. Once again, fencing sales were very lower, lower than the year before. Since the income is reported on our personal income tax like most small businesses and DH has a day job (we also pay SS and Medicare taxes twice on the fencing income), my efforts only made part of the truck payment and paid the phone bills. A couple of days a week saying Hello at Walmart would have at least put some $$ in my pocket and I could reclaim my house back.

TheJenners
Apr. 8, 2011, 03:11 AM
My fiance and I make approximately the same each month, he's active and deployed right now, and that means our monthly income with be slashed in half. Yes, there will be an impact. I don't have the savings to go more than a month for paying board (that's essentially what he pays for, board and trailer parking) in addition to the regular bills. We had been trying to pay down debt, so all the extra cash was going to towards that.

Gee, that seems like such a waste now. :sad:

Seal Harbor
Apr. 8, 2011, 03:34 AM
If the government shuts down the only people, in my opinion, who shouldn't be paid are the Congressman and the Senators. Done Deal. Everyone else gets their pay check. I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around military personnel not getting paid, or anyone else for that matter. Our elected bozos, on both sides of the aisle, are acting like children. Why don't they get treated like children? "to your room with no supper!"

carolprudm
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:39 AM
If the government shuts down the only people, in my opinion, who shouldn't be paid are the Congressman and the Senators. Done Deal. Everyone else gets their pay check. I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around military personnel not getting paid, or anyone else for that matter. Our elected bozos, on both sides of the aisle, are acting like children. Why don't they get treated like children? "to your room with no supper!"

Or lock them all in a room and give them PB&J and water till they settle their differences.

Basquemom, only 3% of Planned Parenthood's budget goes for abortions and that funding comes from non government sources. Due to the Hyde Ammendment NO federal funds can be used for abortions except in rare circumstances

Trakehner
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:46 AM
I've been told I'm "Critical" and get to show up if there's a shut down...there will be 23 government employees and a bunch of contractors at work.

There isn't going to be a shutdown...it's all Kabuki dancing.

Psst....it's not the Tea Party...Hussein O. and the House and Senate were in control of the Dems...and they wouldn't pass a budget.

arbeegirl
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:46 AM
Well if there is a shutdown, I get more riding time:-) However, will I get paid??? No one knows so that could be a problem. Thankfully I did get my tax return already so I do have a little extra money going into this.

And there is still the question am I essential or not. Depending who we talk to in the office depends on the answer you get.

They told us to fill all the government cars up with gas incase of the shutdown which I think is funny. If we are shut down, we won't be using the cars;-)

I will just have to wait and see what happens...

Belg
Apr. 8, 2011, 09:05 AM
More riding time; maybe get some side work done. Mow the farm if the rain pans out. My guess is, we may all have Monday off, and a bunch of angry citizens will be calling demanding immediate action.

I doubt they'd let it go more than a few days; and if they do, a whole lotta hurt is gonna be felt be a whole lot of people... I'm sure the threat of 800,000 foreclosure filings will look really good to the economy, as well as what it would do to the clearances of the 'cleared' portion of those 800k will spur some drastic actions eventually.

Just kinda reminds me of Thunderdome... "Embargo ON!.... Who runs bartertown?!?!?!"

vxf111
Apr. 8, 2011, 09:34 AM
:( Not enjoying the prospect of this at all! We find out this morning what the "plan" is.

I think most equine-related services are state rather than federal.

pharmgirl
Apr. 8, 2011, 10:22 AM
Yes, the govt. shut down under Clinton for several weeks, but Dept. of Ag had their budget passed (and possibly others) so they were fully up and running. I work for the FDA, but apparently our budget money actually comes from Agriculture so we were operating normally during that time (and therefore, likely a lot of stuff that horse people might have needed from feds were normal as well).

Even us feds have been kept in the dark a lot about what is going on. I just found out at 9pm last night that I am not to come in during the shutdown, but other than that we really don't know much else in our group.

Frank B
Apr. 8, 2011, 10:44 AM
Psst....it's not the Tea Party...Hussein O. and the House and Senate were in control of the Dems...and they wouldn't pass a budget.
Anyone else thinking this whole fiasco was scripted back in '10 when it became apparent the Left was going to lose control of the House and possibly the Senate?

You know what frosts my *BLEEPS*? Military paychecks are delayed, as well as those for their spouses and kids, but welfare, food stamps and unemployment are unaffected! Same for Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. And I (old f*rt that I am) receive SS & Medicare -- and it still frosts my *BLEEPS*!

A few legislators have refused pay for as long as our troops aren't getting their checks.

Question: If 800,000 jobs are not essential, why are they there in the first place?

LauraKY
Apr. 8, 2011, 10:57 AM
The House passed a bill to fund the Department of Defense through end of fiscal year. A similar bill was introduced into the Senate--don't know if it was also passed. The White House seems to be strumbling block for that one. Think one of the hangups is defunding the abortion services of planned parenthood. Can't say as I was really crazy about others playing and I get to pay.

Actually, not true. Federal dollars do not go to abortions. There is a law called the Hyde amendment. It prevents Federal funding of abortion. The money that goes to Planned Parenthood from the feds is used for women's health care, cancer screeings and birth control (you know, birth control to prevent abortions).

I think there out to be a law passed that prevents politicians from intentional misstating the facts (and out and out lying). Perhaps a big fine to come directly out of their pockets would do it. They all do it (well not all, but almost all). Repeat a lie enough times and people will believe it.

"As it stands, Planned Parenthood and other health organizations can't use any federal dollars for abortions except in cases of rape, incest or when the mother's life is in danger, said Clover Simon, federal program administrator for Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest."

Abortions are paid for privately, through insurance, or state funded Medicaid and private donations.

So I guess the sticking point is actually that the Republicans don't want any federal dollars to go to anyone who provides abortion. That's a slippery slope, if you think about it.

Belg
Apr. 8, 2011, 10:58 AM
Question: If 800,000 jobs are not essential, why are they there in the first place?

Software development leaps immeditaely to mind.... people write programs that help watchstanders and troops save lives. The software they write is an important lifesaving function of the government, but their day to day presence is not required for ongoing operations.

caffeinated
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:07 AM

My job is "non essential" during a shutdown. But I can tell you exactly how much work I do every day, that it keeps communications to the public running in an efficient manner and I make sure all the proper material is enclosed in outgoing mail. I work through lunch most days with no credit for that, and have a list a mile long of things that need doing - new forms being developed, new projects going into place, new types of notices being produced (including on demand notices/forms/records the public can request online). I converted nearly half of my agency's outgoing mail to programs allowing it to be produced in Braille or other formats for the blind recently. I think my job is pretty damned important, and while they may be able to survive for a couple days without me here, it doesn't mean my job is pointless or not needed. My group has shrunk through retirement/attrition, so that half the number of people are doing twice the amount of work they were doing three years ago. We have ALL been labelled "non essential."

That's why I'm for a shutdown that is the real deal. Include EVERYTHING, and everybody. One day without the ability for air travel to function, and a food shortage with no inspections, is all it would take.

And for those saying it's a "paid vacation" for us - there's really very little precedent. Just because feds got paid in the last shutdown doesn't mean they will this time (though the military probably will, as not doing so would be a major PR blunder).

And while the dems certainly share blame - they had HOW long to figure something out prior to the newbies coming in? - if that's the case the republicans are certainly stepping up and acting equally bad - tying in family planning and environmental policy to funding the military? Childish.

Frank B
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:12 AM
Umm, duh-h-h? *Knock* *Knock* Hello? Anyone at home up there? You're inverting the meaning. It's all about their definition of "non-essential"!

caffeinated
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:22 AM
Sorry Frank, I'm a bit tetchy right now.

Asshats playing politics with my job and the military makes me upset and defensive.

Mrs.ChickenBritches
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:23 AM
So Mr.CB came home from work yesterday and said the concensus is that a deal has already been reached and all the drama this week has been political posturing. Reps and Dems trying to one up each other in the eyes of the public before the election year. If thats true then they are all really stupid because they are making themselves look like incompetent jerks in the eyes of the nation. All of them.

My pony said she is most definitely not impressed. No one and I mean No One messes with the delivery of her noms.;)

caffeinated
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:26 AM
Can we fire them?

Seriously, this should have been done last fall.

I may be a fed, but pretty sure if I didn't do my job for 6 months I'd get fired.

(and word here is that there is no deal, but then I haven't heard this many rumors in a while. And I do sit next to a conspiracy theorist, so that may be doubly coloring the rumors. heh)

7HL
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:51 AM
Potential government shut down impacts on horse ownersIt will no effect me directly as a horse owner... and the thread is straying from anything that has to do with horses.

It's about the budget, not about ideology. Remove ALL the policy riders attached to the bill, designed to push a political agenda and it will pass.

It's great to see, the talking points regurgitated over and over.

LauraKY
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:52 AM
Throw them all out. Term limits (1 or 2 terms MAX). Face it, they're not working for us, they're working for themselves.

In a chorus...."I'm sick and tired of it and I'm not going to take it anymore!"

If that was what the last election was about, they sure didn't get the message, did they?

Beverley
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:25 PM
Umm, duh-h-h? *Knock* *Knock* Hello? Anyone at home up there? You're inverting the meaning. It's all about their definition of "non-essential"!

That depends on the circumstance.:) For this one, the threshold is, or should be, duties that pertain to protection of human life and property. When there is a weather related shutdown, for example, 'essential' is the folks who keep the water pipes from freezing (much to the consternation of Assistant Secretaries who think they are essential!).

In my experience- dating back to the Ford administration- there are plenty of people who think lots of bureaucrats ought to be fired unless/until it's the bureaucrat that gives them what 'they' want or need. Not unlike folks who are opposed to deer hunting and then scream loudly when all those urban deer wipe out their flower gardens.

Synrgystyk
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:56 PM
How has it affected me? Well, I've had a discussion with my BO about working off board. (Board is a drop in the bucket compared to the mortgage, but if I don't have to fork over the cash, so much the better.)

Other things:
I'm keeping the tax refund in the bank instead of spending it on home improvement projects and this year's competition season.
DH has to postpone (or cancel depending on the length of the furlough -- I'm assuming we won't get paid for the time we're forced to be off) getting more tattoos, working on the project bike (now have *four* motorcycles in the garage :rolleyes: ), and making several other "fun" expenditures.
No clinics or lessons.
No new tack.
Competition plans on indefinite hold.And this doesn't touch the stress and anxiety over the length of the furlough and the potential depletion of our savings account. I won't even begin to go into the additional stress and anger created by the anti-federal-worker rhetoric and the fact that this whole debate seems to be nothing more than a "whose equipment is bigger" pissing contest. Isn't this why we geld horses???

As a federal employee I work very hard at my job and I do it well. I'm also working in an office that used to have 35 people. There are now eight of us doing the same work. Oh, and I spend four hours commuting on the days I have to be in the office. Luckily, I'm not "excepted" during the furlough so I don't have to deal with the rising costs of commuting (gas prices, etc.) to an office to perform work for which my pay will be delayed. (And luckily I took today off and can head out to the barn this afternoon.)

Grrr....I HATE politics!!! :mad:

Lorree

caffeinated
Apr. 8, 2011, 01:01 PM
let's see... my other plans include not going to rolex, and selling stuff on ebay.

Anybody want the 9/11 commemorative QVC limited edition breyer? I think I still have the CoA somewhere.

Beverley
Apr. 8, 2011, 01:14 PM
I may be a fed, but pretty sure if I didn't do my job for 6 months I'd get fired.

Actually, the biggest issue I am having today is over eager staff who WANT to take work home and get it done while they are on furlough. They view it as an opportunity to catch up on our huge day in and day out workload. And I have to save them from themselves, since any government employee doing what amounts to 'volunteer' work when on furlough is subject to up to a $5,000 fine. That is a pretty hefty price for what is normally considered 'desirable' dedication to getting one's work done, isn't it?

TheJenners
Apr. 8, 2011, 01:15 PM
I've calmed down and realize that it's going to be ok. I may be eating a lot of bananas if it doesn't get resolved (cheap, healthy), but I think for a month or so, we'll be okay before I start dipping into CC. I get paid enough to cover the really important stuff (mortgage, my truck, power and gas), can cancel cable TV, put some of the bills on the CC to swing board on the two girls if necessary. I'm worried about my SO missing his truck payment, which is twice mine, so I can't help him there unless I resort to my CC.

4Martini
Apr. 8, 2011, 01:25 PM
Actually, the biggest issue I am having today is over eager staff who WANT to take work home and get it done while they are on furlough. They view it as an opportunity to catch up on our huge day in and day out workload. And I have to save them from themselves, since any government employee doing what amounts to 'volunteer' work when on furlough is subject to up to a $5,000 fine. That is a pretty hefty price for what is normally considered 'desirable' dedication to getting one's work done, isn't it?

Why is this? When the company I work for furloughed people worked as needed to get the job done regardless- Heck most of us are on our blackberries regularly while on vacation. Why is the government any different? Why not allow them to volunteer? That's part of what angers me as it all seems like a big political pissing match.

I do feel for the people who will be missing paychecks. I cannot believe the congress will get paid while military people will not. I do disagree with term limits though. If you have an awesome congress member representing you why would you want to get rid of them and replace them with someone who has no experience? I don't get a new trainer every 2 years.

poltroon
Apr. 8, 2011, 01:38 PM
Throw them all out. Term limits (1 or 2 terms MAX).

We did that experiment in California, and it turned out much worse. It's why we'll be losing funding for cooperative extension and 4H.

It turns out that the net effect is to give the power to the behind-the-scenes power brokers who can choose and fund candidates, and make the actual state representative more of a figurehead. And the candidates they pick all move in lockstep.

wireweiners
Apr. 8, 2011, 01:58 PM
Are the mustangs in the holding areas going to continue to be fed and taken care of? Guess there won't be any roundups for a while.

vxf111
Apr. 8, 2011, 03:06 PM
Are the mustangs in the holding areas going to continue to be fed and taken care of? Guess there won't be any roundups for a while.

All ESSENTIAL functions continue. Animals in national zoos are fed and given vet care but non-essential staff like ticket takers and guides are furloughed. I assume whoever feed and cares for mustangs would be deemed essential.

Duckz
Apr. 8, 2011, 03:23 PM
Short term shut down would not hurt too much. This weekend's competition is already paid for, already paid for a clinic next month. Gas is expensive but I defray costs by hauling a friend. Need to decide within ten days if I'll send a check for that starter trial in May. I can cover about four months out of savings by not eating out, not going to shows, no lessons, no new doo-dads. More quality time with the beast. Could take some feeding/mucking shifts at the barn. PM me if you need braiding, clipping, bathing, etc in the SoMD area ;)

Here's to Ramen-fest '11.

coloredcowhorse
Apr. 8, 2011, 03:58 PM
Why is this? When the company I work for furloughed people worked as needed to get the job done regardless- Heck most of us are on our blackberries regularly while on vacation. Why is the government any different? Why not allow them to volunteer? That's part of what angers me as it all seems like a big political pissing match.

Until the first of last month I did deliveries for the Reno Gazette Journal, part of Gannet Publishing (does USA Today among others). They've been putting managers on rolling furloughs for over a year now (and not telling field contractors)...and they can't answer their phones or e-mails or talk with anyone from their job while they are off...sometimes for two weeks at a time. I had a gall bladder attack and wasn't able to deliver for a couple nights (combo of pain pills, smooth muscle relaxants and puking in a bucket) but my district manager was on furlough and no one else would talk with any of his delivery people (including me) so by the time he got off furlough (at midnight on a Sunday night) I had missed two nights...and was told I had to call him and talk with him AT MIDNIGHT since I had to be at the hospital 75 miles away at 6a so couldn't deliver that night either. Because he didn't hear from me the first two nights I missed (since he was on furlough and couldn't take phone calls) he decided I'd abandoned my route and my customers... and took the route away from me....job gone.

This kind of insanity is all over the world out there.

vxf111
Apr. 8, 2011, 04:15 PM

It's illegal for the federal government to have employees "volunteer"

Beverley
Apr. 8, 2011, 04:20 PM

Correct on both counts. You can go to doi.gov and see the contingency plans for all Interior agencies including BLM.

TheJenners
Apr. 8, 2011, 04:58 PM
Looks like it's happening. My SO's "mypay" (military pay schedule...thing...) shows his mid-month paycheck already at half normal amount. :dead:

Jamie2337
Apr. 8, 2011, 05:35 PM
How has it affected me? Well, I've had a discussion with my BO about working off board. (Board is a drop in the bucket compared to the mortgage, but if I don't have to fork over the cash, so much the better.)

Great idea. As DH is active duty and we are paycheck to paycheck I was wondering how to bring it up to the barn. We have like...almost no savings. Offering to work instead of "Hey...I can't pay board this month..." makes me feel a lot better about the conversation.

This is affecting me horsewise. I am so hoping something happens fast, though I have heard mid-month is affected no matter what at this point. :(

jawa
Apr. 8, 2011, 05:41 PM
If you were planning on trying to close on your farmette using a HUD loan...NO CAN DO as of yesterday....because of the "possible" shutdown. They wouldn't be able to clear the paperwork before the shut down.

No farm loans...No building barns or loans to buy seed, fertilizer or equipment...

I would imagine if HUD is a no go then FHA home loans are also not able to close.

Frank B
Apr. 8, 2011, 05:49 PM
More on what does and does not happen during the "shutdown": (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/04/08/government-shutdown-shutdowny/)

From WSJ: (http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2011/04/08/government-shutdown-what-to-expect/)

Tamara in TN
Apr. 8, 2011, 05:50 PM
No farm loans...No building barns or loans to buy seed, fertilizer or equipment...

good they should close the FSA down anyway

Tamara

SLW
Apr. 8, 2011, 07:55 PM
[quote=Frank B;5534981] but welfare, food stamps and unemployment are unaffected! Same for Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. And I (old f*rt that I am) receive SS & Medicare -- and it still frosts my *BLEEPS*!quote]

Is this a fact, that $$$ flows but the military go without? If so, blood just spurt out of my ears when my brain exploded. :mad:

HighFlyinBey++
Apr. 8, 2011, 10:07 PM
The 27th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution states that "no law, varying the compensation for the services of the senators and representatives, shall take effect, until an election of representatives shall have intervened." While that makes us all happy Congress can't vote themselves a raise until after the next election, it means they get paid during a shutdown.

In other words, it's completely unconstitutional to stop paying them. Brilliant!!

If I was still married, I'd be wondering what to do about my budget if there was a shutdown that lasted more than a few days--my ex is a Fed.

However, the end (of this round) may be near: http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/04/08/6435605-negotiators-ready-to-table-planned-parenthood-measure

It's not just Planned Parenthood, though. It's all Title X funding that's in jeopardy.

Frank B
Apr. 8, 2011, 10:15 PM
Is this a fact, that $$$ flows but the military go without? If so, blood just spurt out of my ears when my brain exploded. :mad:Grab a towel and click on my above links.
Another little item of interest -- many government employees may qualify for unemployment payments (http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2011/04/07/shutdown-shocker-unemployment-benefits/).

HighFlyinBey++
Apr. 8, 2011, 10:31 PM
If you're a furloughed Fed, for heavens' sake, do NOT check your work email or use a work BlackBerry (http://gawker.com/#!5790360/federal-employees-could-face-jail-time-for-using-blackberrys) or you may face possible jail time under an 1884 law. It's the same one that prevents a non-essential employee from "volunteering" if a budget is not in place.

gieriscm
Apr. 8, 2011, 10:54 PM
If you're a furloughed Fed, for heavens' sake, do NOT check your work email or use a work BlackBerry (http://gawker.com/#!5790360/federal-employees-could-face-jail-time-for-using-blackberrys) or you may face possible jail time under an 1884 law. It's the same one that prevents a non-essential employee from "volunteering" if a budget is not in place.
Well, I'm a contractor, not a fed, and fortunately have no work-issued cell phone, blackberry, etc. I also refused VPN access to the work intranet. So, there's no way for me to work without being at the office.

That said, if Congress doesn't act I have no idea if I'm supposed to work on Monday or not. As of this evening the folks at work still didn't know if our contract, funding, method of funding, etc. etc. etc. permitted it. Guess I'll find out on Monday morning.

HighFlyinBey++
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:06 PM
The Washington Post has a page on what to expect if there's a shutdown (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/federal-eye/post/government-shutdown-2011-will-i-get-paid-what-will-be-open-what-can-i-expect/2011/04/06/AFfMK2oC_blog.html?hpid=z2)

They've got a bunch of FAQs for employees, tourists, contractors, etc.

Federal News Radio (http://www.federalnewsradio.com/) also has a lot of info.

It also looks like they may finally be close to a deal to keep everything open. Fingers crossed!

AppendixQHLover
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:46 PM
I have been totally freaking out this week on this. We sat and ate lunch trying to figure it out. The division I work for is considered essential people. My company has funding to pay us until the end of May. Now with all this going on...I am gonig to work even harder to get bills paid off and get a couple of months bills saved up.

HighFlyinBey++
Apr. 9, 2011, 12:03 AM
Speaker Boehner just announced that they have reached an agreement

Eye in the Sky
Apr. 9, 2011, 12:25 AM
I have several Federal employees which are clients that are extremely anxious right now.

If I lose them due to their budget no longer allowing even their co-pays, I will have to forego any hope of even taking lessons or getting them for our son (who has expressed a genuine interest!). But even worse than that is the suffering my clients and friends who work for the Federal government will endure as a result. :cry:

7HL
Apr. 9, 2011, 01:28 AM
Speaker Boehner just announced that they have reached an agreement

No shut down.....

They took out the policy riders, that shouldn't have been in the budget to begin with.

meupatdoes
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:50 AM
Or lock them all in a room and give them PB&J and water till they settle their differences.

Basquemom, only 3% of Planned Parenthood's budget goes for abortions and that funding comes from non government sources. Due to the Hyde Ammendment NO federal funds can be used for abortions except in rare circumstances

I don't think there is a number of times it would be possible to repeat this information in order to get people to understand this (or believe you).

This has been said and said and said on the April 1 Off Topic day and the one before that so at the very least the COTH population should be informed even if the rest of the country is not, but I guess the facts have a liberal bias.

carolprudm
Apr. 9, 2011, 10:05 AM
I don't think there is a number of times it would be possible to repeat this information in order to get people to understand this (or believe you).

This has been said and said and said on the April 1 Off Topic day and the one before that so at the very least the COTH population should be informed even if the rest of the country is not, but I guess the facts have a liberal bias.

I know, sigh

Glad a deal has been struck

Mrs.ChickenBritches
Apr. 9, 2011, 11:22 AM
Unfortunately it wasn't a real deal but just a stopgap measure to give them until Thursday to get their heads out of their heinies. This is what, the third one, they have passed?

SaturdayNightLive
Apr. 9, 2011, 11:25 AM
Unfortunately it wasn't a real deal but just a stopgap measure to give them until Thursday to get their heads out of their heinies. This is what, the third one, they have passed?

More like the 7th.

anita m
Apr. 9, 2011, 11:40 AM
The agreement is still only a CR until the 15th. We do this all over again next weekend. Oy.

Gestalt
Apr. 9, 2011, 11:49 AM
I work for state governement and we have been dealing with furloughs for two years. I didn't know feds were required to take furlough days. Sorry, but no sympathy from me, we all need to share the pain. State workers are losing a lot as far as retirement, paycheck, health care, but you don't see the big guys taking hits. That never changes, they always protect themselves.

In response to the OP, even though the feds don't have direct control over state business, they are definitely backseat drivers in the transportation dept. When they're back logged it slows or stops the monies coming to us for road upgrades and repair.

Perfect Pony
Apr. 9, 2011, 12:04 PM
I work for state governement and we have been dealing with furloughs for two years. I didn't know feds were required to take furlough days. Sorry, but no sympathy from me, we all need to share the pain. State workers are losing a lot as far as retirement, paycheck, health care, but you don't see the big guys taking hits. That never changes, they always protect themselves.

I know, it's just sickening. Heaven forbid the top 1% agree to a 3% income tax hike on their earning over 200k a year. No, better to make millions lose much or most or all of their income altogether.

Gestalt
Apr. 9, 2011, 12:34 PM
I know, it's just sickening. Heaven forbid the top 1% agree to a 3% income tax hike on their earning over 200k a year. No, better to make millions lose much or most or all of their income altogether.

^^ Exactly, I still cannot bear think of the bank debacle :no: as taxpayers we were robbed.

Eye in the Sky
Apr. 9, 2011, 02:24 PM
If the federal government has to shut down due to another crazy head-in-ass moment, I say we place a citizens arrest on ALL congressional members until they agree to take themselves off of payroll.

I, for one, am sick and tired of law-makers being able to make a career out of public service.

carolprudm
Apr. 9, 2011, 02:26 PM
^^ Exactly, I still cannot bear think of the bank debacle :no: as taxpayers we were robbed.

While I'm not in a position to worry about it just WHY should "rich" people pay more?

Do they get more from the government? Probably not. Just because they can doesn't work for me. Why should Bill Gates for example be forced to pay for 50000 child tax credits? They're not his kids. If you need a subsidy to raise your kids....don't have them. There are enough people in the world already.

FWIW Bill Gates is a big Planned Parenthood donor.

LauraKY
Apr. 9, 2011, 05:54 PM
While I'm not in a position to worry about it just WHY should "rich" people pay more?

Do they get more from the government? Probably not. Just because they can doesn't work for me. Why should Bill Gates for example be forced to pay for 50000 child tax credits? They're not his kids. If you need a subsidy to raise your kids....don't have them. There are enough people in the world already.

First of all, Planned Parenthood only gets 25% of the amount in Title 10, the rest goes to clinics for women's health care.

And why shouldn't they pay more (or at least the same percentage). Because they don't pay more, they pay less on a percentage basis. For example, Warren Buffet has stated that he pays less of a percentage in taxes on his income than his secretary, mostly due to low rates on dividends and capital gains. So, you think that is fair?

In case you haven't noticed, the middle class is shrinking rapidly while the rich get richer. Is that fair? One day there may be no middle class. Who will buy the products and services then?

According to the Heritage Foundation (a conservative think tank), in the year 2000, the average CEO compensation at 365 of the largest corporations, the multiplier to the average worker's compensation was 531 (in 1990 it was 85, in 1940 it was 42). The next highest in 2000, Brazil at 57. China weighs in at 21, while Japan is 10. :eek: That's quite an eye opener. The average CEO to worker multiplier in the US in 2005 was 262:1.

And we need to cut them a tax break?

http://www.heritageinstitute.com/governance/compensation.htm

Mrs.ChickenBritches
Apr. 9, 2011, 06:58 PM
Well, if there isn't going to be a middle class anymore, can I move up to the rich section? Pretty please? Pony wants carrots from England, Mare wants real Himalayan Salt from the Himalyas, not the stuff I get at the feed store, and Gelding wants a mini donkey friend or a mini friend or a pony friend or a mini pony friend. He has a hard time making up his mind.

They all agree that they want a big head to head trailer to look at since they dont like going anywhere, and orchard grass hay from somewhere that grows really really good orchard grass hay. They also want a barn to look at but not to live in. Just so they can say they have one.;)

Just to keep this hr.

Gestalt
Apr. 9, 2011, 07:18 PM

I'm not sure where you read in my post that I think the rich should pay more? I'm pissed off about the bank bailout. :(

I'm in Oregon and our roads are still in pretty good shape, but I can really tell the difference in the surface when I go into Idaho. No offense to you Idahoans, but my horse trailer bounces around on your freeways. If I were to travel the posted speed limit, I'm sure my horses would end up with bellyaches!